• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

PSU Banks

AJ331

TF Select
Can any one throw some light about the customer service/ facilities of these following Banks

BANK OF INDIA
INDIAN BANK
CENTRAL BANK OF INDIA
INDIAN OVERSEAS BANK
PUNJAB NATIONAL BANK
UCO BANK
BANK OF MAHARASHTRA

Edit : My intent is just to a start an FD for some 3-4 lakhs (plus the savings account related to it)

Last edited:

Crusader4Credit

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Can any one throw some light about the customer service/ facilities of these following Banks

BANK OF INDIA
INDIAN BANK
CENTRAL BANK OF INDIA
INDIAN OVERSEAS BANK
PUNJAB NATIONAL BANK
UCO BANK
BANK OF MAHARASHTRA

Edit : My intent is just to a start an FD for some 3-4 lakhs (plus the savings account related to it)
  • Opened an A/C with all of them except, BoM.
  • The learning is that the experience depends more on the branch than the bank.
  • Also, do not open an account online. You will need to eventually visit the branch, and the clueless staff will make you fill out more forms.
  • Go to the branch, and get a feel for the vibe. If you think the staff are helpful and productive. Open an account.
  • Many locations near Govt. offices will have multiple PSU bank offices, and this can save time if you are comparing.
  • Always carry a pen, photos, a gluestick, photocopies of Aadhar and PAN, Aadhar Pan, Salary slips and ITR (soft copy at least)
  • Familiarise yourself with the bank apps - they are often better than their Netbanking and more efficient than staff

Based on my personal experience
    BANK OF INDIA - 6/10 - Good staff and app but poor backend digital linkages and slow processing.
    INDIAN BANK - 5/10 - Bearable staff and app but poor backend digital linkages and slow processing.
    CENTRAL BANK OF INDIA - 1/10 - Absolutely worst staff, poor backend and horrible processing time.
    INDIAN OVERSEAS BANK - 7/10 - Efficient staff and decent turnaround time
    PUNJAB NATIONAL BANK -7/10 - Efficient staff and decent turnaround time
    UCO BANK - 6.5/10 - - Efficient staff and decent turnaround time

My best PSU Bank experience has been with Canara Bank. Bank of Baroda is another one to be avoided.

• Also, do not open an account online. You will need to eventually visit the branch, and the clueless staff will make you fill out more forms.
  • Go to the branch, and get a feel for the vibe. If you think the staff are helpful and productive. Open an account.
  • Many locations near Govt. offices will have multiple PSU bank offices, and this can save time if you are comparing.
  • Always carry a pen, photos, a gluestick, photocopies of Aadhar and PAN, Aadhar Pan, Salary slips and ITR (soft copy at least)
  • Familiarise yourself with the bank apps - they are often better than their Netbanking and more efficient than staff

BANK OF INDIA - 6/10 - Good staff and app but poor backend digital linkages and slow processing.
    INDIAN BANK - 5/10 - Bearable staff and app but poor backend digital linkages and slow processing.
    CENTRAL BANK OF INDIA - 1/10 - Absolutely worst staff, poor backend and horrible processing time.

My best PSU Bank experience has been with Canara Bank. Bank of Baroda is another one to be avoided.
Any reason to open accounts will all of them?

kjs

TF Premier

BOB -Edited
Yes you are right BOB needs to be avoided. Their app is very much clunky.
They provide the option to copy account details but ifsc code is not there.
I have got a PPF account issue it isn't solved till date hence I stopped following up the CC. Deleted the PPF account from website but it still shows in app. .As I have a joint account transferring an account to another branch is like doing a course. Branches are always crowded with only a single person handling queries of 10. Got my account closed. Worst experience specially in Surat

Union Bank
Net banking UI is bad but features wise good better than BOB , service is decent I opened account for Fd,App is also decent does the basic job , after 6 months they reduced FD rates so now using for UPI. Debit card is good with 1re/100 reward rate also in case you do 40 ecomm/pos transactions then it will be free for next year. Need to check if its financial year or account opening year & date.

Canara & PNB
Both were good branches near my home, also I explored app which is also good I think they would be better than above 2..But Union Bank is not that bad atleast better than BOB.But BOB is in top 3 PSU but will close BOB due to lots of hassles faced.

Last edited:

Trust Me

TF Ace
Union bank of india isn't mentioned here, but it is perhaps the only decent one in psu banks. (personal experience of 9 years)
And in my experience Union Bank was just about the worst amongst all the PSU banks I've experienced! My experience lasted for just over 5 years, -- only because I couldn't get out sooner!

RadioactiveTabela

TF Premier
For PSU banks, I would suggest try to find a branch inside an IT park / corporate business district. These have very less crowd / walk ins due to nature of clientele. Avoid accessible market area branches because everyone gets up and goes to update passbook there.

Reactions: kjs

kjs

TF Premier
You can PORT your PPF account to other bank and continue using it. 😇👍🏻
Yeah did that finally and closed my 2 accounts with BOB , IN gujrat-surat BOB branches have worst service similar unpleasant experience with 3 branches. When i went to close 2 accounts the lady on the desk is like y dont u give all forms at once and showed arrogance as if i have taken money from her and not returned. If i had given all at once she had to tell something else. The other branch did not allow me to print passbook. Abhi lunch time hai. Bank mein kaunsa lunch time hota hai.
SBI service on other' hand is top notched. Visited 3 different branches and crowd was very less and response was faster.

Trust Me

TF Ace
... The learning is that the experience depends more on the branch than the bank.

That's the most important learning. I believe that the performance of a particular branch depends to a large extent on the manager of the branch at that point. I'd also add that the particular Bank's overall culture matters as well. Examples below.

* My first salary account was with a Central Bank of India branch in Bangalore (pre-netbanking days). The sevice was excellent! I'd rate them 8/10.

* The salary account next moved to Canara Bank, also in Bangalore. They immediately won the worst PSU bank crown from me (until they were surpassed later by Union Bank). Apart from the poor service, the staff there openly discussed our individual salaries amongst themselves! Rating - 1/10. On the plus side, -- this had helped us learn rather easily about our colleagues' salaries which were supposed to be a secret! That one point was given only because of this plus side of the experience! :).

Later, in another branch of Canara Bank (in another state) the service was also poor, but not quite to the same extent, and it also depended a lot on the manager at that point. Rating - 3/10

* My best PSU experience had been with IDBI (emphasis on "had been").

* My SBI experience at an SPB branch in Bangalore was excellent. At other branches (spread over different states) it has been good to okay to poor, depending not only on the branch, but on the manager at that point at the same branch as well.

* Agree about BoB.

Last edited:

Harrypotter

TF Premier
That's the most important learning. I believe that the performance of a particular branch depends to a large extent on the manager of the branch at that point. I'd also add that the particular Bank's overall culture matters as well. Examples below.

* My first salary account was with a Central Bank of India branch in Bangalore (pre-netbanking days). The sevice was excellent! I'd rate them 8/10.

* The salary account next moved to Canara Bank, also in Bangalore. They immediately won the worst PSU bank crown from me (until they were surpassed later by Union Bank). Apart from the poor service, the staff there openly discussed our individual salaries amongst themselves! Rating - 1/10. On the plus side, -- this had helped us learn rather easily about our colleagues' salaries which were supposed to be a secret! That one point was given only because of this plus side of the experience! :).

Later, in another branch of Canara Bank (in another state) the service was also poor, but not quite to the same extent, and it also depended a lot on the manager at that point. Rating - 3/10

* My best PSU experience had been with IDBI (emphasis on "had been").

* My SBI experience at an SPB branch in Bangalore was excellent. At other branches (spread over different states) it has been good to okay to poor, depending not only on the branch, but on the manager at that point at the same branch as well.

* Agree about BoB.
Oops sharing other salary is the violation of banking code of conduct. This speaks volume of the integrity of the staff sitting over there. Its a huge red flag for me