• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Planning to Close AMEX Travel+MRCC with Infinia + DCB in Hand

ccdc

TF Ace
Guys !
I wanted to know if it is worth keeping the AMEX Platinum Travel(6+ Yrs) + MRCC(5+ Yrs).
I have the FYF Infinia (3+ Yrs)and my wife has LTF DCB (~8 months) (all plastic). Most of my spends are covered using these cards. I have to forcefully buy vouchers using the AMEX cards (acceptability issues of amex) to complete the 1000*4 for MRCC and 4Lakh yearly spend for AMEX Travel. I usually use the MR Points for a Taj Holiday appox every 2 years. I guess i can do the Taj holiday using Smartbuy as well :).
Any suggestions , insights are welcome.
for how long are those taj vouchers valid...the ones you get on 4L spends on PT

manumaniac

TF Buzz
Kindly first let us know if your MRCC is LTF, if not, have you been able to get full waivers on annual fees, or what is the annual charges which you pay on it.
MRCC is LTF along with the Platinum Travel. I usually get spend based waiver or equivalent Points on paying the fees for the travel card. If i close the Travel, im not sure if my MRCC will remain LTF.

manumaniac

TF Buzz
Avid user of Infinia, but have completely stopped using it to purchase Amazon pay vouchers. It is a bad deal if you need to pay 3% upfront.
Have found multiple ways to find good use if APay vouchers, even if i have to pay a small fee upfront.
- I dont use it for amazon shopping (use amazon vouchers for that)
- Use for Bill payments (electricity, water, broadband, mobile, insurance etc)
- I just started using Apay to recharge my ICICI Fastag, and pay for Fuel via HPPay via fastag.

sid16

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
MRCC is LTF along with the Platinum Travel. I usually get spend based waiver or equivalent Points on paying the fees for the travel card. If i close the Travel, im not sure if my MRCC will remain LTF.
Why don't you get it clarified from Amex customer care whether MRCC will remain LTF or not?

Regardless, you need not compare MRCC with Infinia or DCB. If you don't want another travel card, MRCC is an excellent cashback (valueback) card, let me show you how.

You know that purchase of 1500*6 APay vouchers via Amex Gyftr gives you 1240 MR points per month. If you just do this for 15 months, you would have spent 90000 and gained 18600 MR points. Suppose your MRCC is not LTF and annual fees is 1770 including taxes, you would have spent 91770 and gained 18600 MR points. Under 18 carat scheme, value of 18000 MR points is equivalent to 7k Amazon / Flipkart vouchers or 8k Myntra / Shoppers Stop vouchers. This means that you're getting 7.62% cashback (valueback) in Amazon / Flipkart or 8.71% cashback (valueback) in Myntra / Shoppers Stop. This is better than most other cashbacks out there. Mind you, I'm not considering converting to Marriott Bonvoy, or referral based benefits. These are purely based on 1.5k*4 transactions for 15 months straight.

Basically, keep holding Infinia, DCB as well as MRCC.

ccdc

TF Ace
AFAIK PT doesn't have any spend based fee waiver option....how do you get it then?

manumaniac

TF Buzz
Why don't you get it clarified from Amex customer care whether MRCC will remain LTF or not?

Regardless, you need not compare MRCC with Infinia or DCB. If you don't want another travel card, MRCC is an excellent cashback (valueback) card, let me show you how.

You know that purchase of 1500*6 APay vouchers via Amex Gyftr gives you 1240 MR points per month. If you just do this for 15 months, you would have spent 90000 and gained 18600 MR points. Suppose your MRCC is not LTF and annual fees is 1770 including taxes, you would have spent 91770 and gained 18600 MR points. Under 18 carat scheme, value of 18000 MR points is equivalent to 7k Amazon / Flipkart vouchers or 8k Myntra / Shoppers Stop vouchers. This means that you're getting 7.62% cashback (valueback) in Amazon / Flipkart or 8.71% cashback (valueback) in Myntra / Shoppers Stop. This is better than most other cashbacks out there. Mind you, I'm not considering converting to Marriott Bonvoy, or referral based benefits. These are purely based on 1.5k*4 transactions for 15 months straight.

Basically, keep holding Infinia, DCB as well as MRCC.
Yes, so 1500*4 is a manufactured spend. I normally buy vouchers of Myntra, nykaa , Amazon etc. Now, if i do the same from Smartbuy i get ~16% reward points on that, which is more than double what i get out of MRCC ! Plus if ever i reach my limit, i can use the DCB.

Last edited:

sid16

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Yes, so 1500*4 is a manufactured spend. I normally buy vouchers of Myntra, nykaa , Amazon etc. Now, if i do the same from Smartbuy i get ~16% reward points on that, which is more than double what i get out of MRCC ! Plus if ever i reach my limit, i can use the DCB.
I don't understand the more than double perspective. First of all, you can purchase Myntra, Nykaa vouchers on Amex Gyftr platform too. DCB doesn't give 5X rewards on Smartbuy. These are not the important parameters for this discussion. Let's discuss the value in detail below.

You get around 16.67% points return on non amazon pay transactions via HDFC Gyftr for Infinia, you get 20.67% points return via Amex Gyftr for MRCC for 1500*4 spends.

For travel:

Infinia 16.67% converts @ 1 point = 1 rupee for flights and hotels, also only 70% of total amount is usable by points, rest will again give 5X or 10X points so that's good. Best option of miles transfer to Accor is already devalued.

MRCC 20.67% converts @ 1 point = 1 Marriott Bonvoy = approx Rs. 0.7; so it give value of around 14.47% where you can make full reservation using points.

For cashback:

Infinia gives 1 point = 1 rupee only for Tanishq, that also only 70% of total amount is usable by points. Tanishq jewelry is very expensive compared to trusted family jewelers, hence this makes no sense. You can purchase Shoppers Stop voucher where 1 point = Rs. 0.5, and same way with other luxury vouchers, so here 16.67% converts into 8.34% valueback, and that is only for Shoppers Stop and luxury vouchers. A straightforward cashback into card gives 1 point = Rs. 0.30 which brings down the 16.67% to 5% real cashback.

MRCC gives 1 point = Rs. 0.39 when redeeming Amazon/Flipkart voucher under 18 carat scheme, implying that 20.67% gives a valueback of 8.06% OR 1 point = Rs. 0.44 when redeeming Shoppers Stop/ Myntra under 18 carat scheme implying that 20.67% gives a valueback of 9.19%. 1 point = Rs. 0.25 when used directly as a cashback to account which brings 20.67% to 5% real cashback.

Nowhere is there anything around getting more than double in Infinia compared to MRCC.

Now, coming to your OP, you said whether you should retain Amex PT + MRCC if you have Infinia + DCB.

Answer is, PT can be cancelled, MRCC can be retained. I too have PT, MRCC, Infinia, DCB. Infinia and MRCC are not comparable since one is an expensive super premium card and the other is a basic Amex card. Both are usable in different cases. I use Infinia for flights and redeem points there. I use Magnus/Atlas for Accor properties. I will be using MRCC for Marriott. I of course do not convert anything into cashback, because that would reduce the value of the points.

Last edited:

manumaniac

TF Buzz
Thinking of finally giving up the PT and Getting the Gold. PT is due renewal June.
Can i transfer the PT Points to either the MRCC or Gold Pool ?
Can someone share a referral for Gold !

insight

TF Ace
I don't understand the more than double perspective. First of all, you can purchase Myntra, Nykaa vouchers on Amex Gyftr platform too. DCB doesn't give 5X rewards on Smartbuy. These are not the important parameters for this discussion. Let's discuss the value in detail below.

You get around 16.67% points return on non amazon pay transactions via HDFC Gyftr for Infinia, you get 20.67% points return via Amex Gyftr for MRCC for 1500*4 spends.

For travel:

Infinia 16.67% converts @ 1 point = 1 rupee for flights and hotels, also only 70% of total amount is usable by points, rest will again give 5X or 10X points so that's good. Best option of miles transfer to Accor is already devalued.

MRCC 20.67% converts @ 1 point = 1 Marriott Bonvoy = approx Rs. 0.7; so it give value of around 14.47% where you can make full reservation using points.

For cashback:

Infinia gives 1 point = 1 rupee only for Tanishq, that also only 70% of total amount is usable by points. Tanishq jewelry is very expensive compared to trusted family jewelers, hence this makes no sense. You can purchase Shoppers Stop voucher where 1 point = Rs. 0.5, and same way with other luxury vouchers, so here 16.67% converts into 8.34% valueback, and that is only for Shoppers Stop and luxury vouchers. A straightforward cashback into card gives 1 point = Rs. 0.30 which brings down the 16.67% to 5% real cashback.

MRCC gives 1 point = Rs. 0.39 when redeeming Amazon/Flipkart voucher under 18 carat scheme, implying that 20.67% gives a valueback of 8.06% OR 1 point = Rs. 0.44 when redeeming Shoppers Stop/ Myntra under 18 carat scheme implying that 20.67% gives a valueback of 9.19%. 1 point = Rs. 0.25 when used directly as a cashback to account which brings 20.67% to 5% real cashback.

Nowhere is there anything around getting more than double in Infinia compared to MRCC.

Now, coming to your OP, you said whether you should retain Amex PT + MRCC if you have Infinia + DCB.

Answer is, PT can be cancelled, MRCC can be retained. I too have PT, MRCC, Infinia, DCB. Infinia and MRCC are not comparable since one is an expensive super premium card and the other is a basic Amex card. Both are usable in different cases. I use Infinia for flights and redeem points there. I use Magnus/Atlas for Accor properties. I will be using MRCC for Marriott. I of course do not convert anything into cashback, because that would reduce the value of the points.
Interesting mathematics on the benefits. Note worthy.

joshuatree

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Guys !
I wanted to know if it is worth keeping the AMEX Platinum Travel(6+ Yrs) + MRCC(5+ Yrs).
I have the FYF Infinia (3+ Yrs)and my wife has LTF DCB (~8 months) (all plastic). Most of my spends are covered using these cards. I have to forcefully buy vouchers using the AMEX cards (acceptability issues of amex) to complete the 1000*4 for MRCC and 4Lakh yearly spend for AMEX Travel. I usually use the MR Points for a Taj Holiday appox every 2 years. I guess i can do the Taj holiday using Smartbuy as well :).
Any suggestions , insights are welcome.

If you are forcing yourself to buy vouchers to complete milestones it's not a win-win relationship. You can always get these cards later if you want to.