• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

NPCI CEO Dilip Asbe wants these merchants to pay reasonable charges for UPI payments in 3 year

Big merchants may have to pay for UPI payments in the coming years. National Payments Corporation of India's chief Dilip Asbe said that large merchants may have to pay charges for UPI-based payments in the next three years.

He said that presently all the energies are focused on providing a viable payment alternative to cash and increasing the acceptability of the Unified Payments Interface (UPI). NPCI's chief executive and managing director was speaking at an event organised by the Bombay Chartered Accountants Society (BCAS).

Why UPI may become 'paid' for some

Asbe added that in the future, a lot of money will be required in getting newer innovations, more people to use the ecosystem and incentives like cashbacks, adding that another 50 crore people need to be pulled into the system.

"From the long-term perspective, a reasonable charge, not on the small merchants but the larger merchants, will come. I don't know when it will come, whether it is one year, two years, three years down the line," he said.

A charge on UPI has been a contentious issue, there have been murmurs from the industry to introduce such charges. Presently, the government compensates players in the ecosystem for such transactions, which helps in the broader formalisation aim.

Asbe said that there has not been the "smallest of resistance" from the broader ecosystem till now, which has helped the system grow.

Source: Times of India

CardCraftsman.

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Ek special news hai. Kisi ne post nhi kiya, DM krta hu tumko
Dance Dancing GIF

Ab supreme commander bobby deol ke style me entry karne keliye tyar h secret group me

vega

TF Premier
Big merchants may have to pay for UPI payments in the coming years. National Payments Corporation of India's chief Dilip Asbe said that large merchants may have to pay charges for UPI-based payments in the next three years.

He said that presently all the energies are focused on providing a viable payment alternative to cash and increasing the acceptability of the Unified Payments Interface (UPI). NPCI's chief executive and managing director was speaking at an event organised by the Bombay Chartered Accountants Society (BCAS).

Why UPI may become 'paid' for some
Asbe added that in the future, a lot of money will be required in getting newer innovations, more people to use the ecosystem and incentives like cashbacks, adding that another 50 crore people need to be pulled into the system.

"From the long-term perspective, a reasonable charge, not on the small merchants but the larger merchants, will come. I don't know when it will come, whether it is one year, two years, three years down the line," he said.

A charge on UPI has been a contentious issue, there have been murmurs from the industry to introduce such charges. Presently, the government compensates players in the ecosystem for such transactions, which helps in the broader formalisation aim.

Asbe said that there has not been the "smallest of resistance" from the broader ecosystem till now, which has helped the system grow.

Source: Times of India
Well I don't support MasterCard rhetoric, but zero MDR is not viable in long run.

Zero MDR became biggest obstacle in customer acquisition for the banks. They didn't want to shell out their hard earned money in form of cashback.

Perhaps, now the time has come to accept the real economy.

Abhishek012

TF Pioneer
Well I don't support MasterCard rhetoric, but zero MDR is not viable in long run.

Zero MDR became biggest obstacle in customer acquisition for the banks. They didn't want to shell out their hard earned money in form of cashback.

Perhaps, now the time has come to accept the real economy.
Govt already give incentives to issuer banks, acquirer banks and payment companies.

But main ques is that big merchants can easily pay MDR. So, why is the govt wasting taxpayers' money on MDR payments of big merchants like Amazon, Flipkart, Reliance, DMart, Tata, Ola, Uber, Paytm, Swiggy, Zomato and all other new or old big million/billion dollar startup companies ?

FinoGuy

TF Ace
Govt already give incentives to issuer banks, acquirer banks and payment companies.

But main ques is that big merchants can easily pay MDR. So, why is the govt wasting taxpayers' money on MDR payments of big merchants like Amazon, Flipkart, Reliance, DMart, Tata, Ola, Uber, Paytm, Swiggy, Zomato and all other new or old big million/billion dollar startup companies ?
Table ke upar mdr maaf karega then only table ke neeche se milega na vro...

Abhishek012

TF Pioneer
Table ke upar mdr maaf karega then only table ke neeche se milega na vro...
Retail and Ecom me govt bahot strict hai, kyunki yeh local shops ko barbad kar raha hai isiliye.

Kuch months ya saalo me ek se ek naye rules late raheta hai govt ecom companies k liye, taki local shops wale survive kar paye.

Halaki country developed jab karega toh local kirana shops almost khatam ho jayega.

Do you know ek time aisa bhi tha jab US me New York k sarko par gareeb Americans thela lekar nikalte the.

Aalu le lo aalu, Sabji le lo sabji kar k aur middle class and ameer Americans kharidte the

Kuch Americans k toh pustaini kirana stores the. jo uske grandfather k grandfather k zamane se the.

Phir dhire dhire US developed karne laga. Shopping malls aaya. Walmart jaisi companies aaya.

Amazon jab ecom shopping stores laya toh jo bacha kucha tha US me woh bhi almost khatam ho gaya.

Dhire dhire sab ko pyar se haata diya. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Abhishek012

TF Pioneer
what is the revenue classificiation for big merchants
because nobody uses upi at places like croma vijay sales
India me sirf croma, vijay sales he nhi hai.

Aur aise lagta hai har koi Card use kar rahe hai. Bahot log UPI se payment karte hai.

Kuch log gift voucher wagera bhi buy karte hai, jiska payment UPI se karte hai.

toh dekhne me lagega gift voucher use kiya, na ki UPI but woh gift voucher aaya kaha se ? UPI se buy kiye tumne.

Kuch aisa bhi hai ki credit card se higher reward k chakkar me gift voucher buy kar k log resell kar dete hai whatsapp groups or other resell platform se jiska payment UPI se karte hai.

Ok ab yaha thora debatable topic ho sakta hai ki actual me woh gift voucher kisse buy kiya ?

credit card se ya UPI se ?

agar tum bolte ho credit card then ok you are right but agar UPI exist nhi krta toh aaj itne large volume pe tumse gift voucher buy nhi krta koi person.

Mai kitne travel agent, bill payment agent, flight booking agent, flight/hotel miles aur Amazon gv or other gv buyers ka payment dekhta hu UPI se karta hai.

ho sakta hai seller ne credit card se buy kiya ho.

Par buyer itne large volume me IMPS/NEFT se tumhare gift voucher or other thing buy nhi krta. I mean kuch log karte par har koi nhi krta.

Yeh kuch aisa he hai. Zero MDR se banks ko loss jarur ho raha hai, apr bnak ko utne customer nhi milta, bina UPI k.

Kahene ko humare desh me 1250+ banks hai but bina RuPay debit card and UPI k woh banks jada customers ko add nhi kar payega.

Jisme payment banks, small finance bank and IDFC bank bhi samil hai.

Kyunki IDFC bank bhi starting me khud RuPay debit card and UPI pe he focus kiya, jab paise aa gaya phir dusre card network pe gaya.

sxchzy

TF Legend
VIP Lounge
India me sirf croma, vijay sales he nhi hai.

Aur aise lagta hai har koi Card use kar rahe hai. Bahot log UPI se payment karte hai.

Kuch log gift voucher wagera bhi buy karte hai, jiska payment UPI se karte hai.

toh dekhne me lagega gift voucher use kiya, na ki UPI but woh gift voucher aaya kaha se ? UPI se buy kiye tumne.

Kuch aisa bhi hai ki credit card se higher reward k chakkar me gift voucher buy kar k log resell kar dete hai whatsapp groups or other resell platform se jiska payment UPI se karte hai.

Ok ab yaha thora debatable topic ho sakta hai ki actual me woh gift voucher kisse buy kiya ?

credit card se ya UPI se ?

agar tum bolte ho credit card then ok you are right but agar UPI exist nhi krta toh aaj itne large volume pe tumse gift voucher buy nhi krta koi person.

Mai kitne travel agent, bill payment agent, flight booking agent, flight/hotel miles aur Amazon gv or other gv buyers ka payment dekhta hu UPI se karta hai.

ho sakta hai seller ne credit card se buy kiya ho.

Par buyer itne large volume me IMPS/NEFT se tumhare gift voucher or other thing buy nhi krta. I mean kuch log karte par har koi nhi krta.

Yeh kuch aisa he hai. Zero MDR se banks ko loss jarur ho raha hai, apr bnak ko utne customer nhi milta, bina UPI k.

Kahene ko humare desh me 1250+ banks hai but bina RuPay debit card and UPI k woh banks jada customers ko add nhi kar payega.

Jisme payment banks, small finance bank and IDFC bank bhi samil hai.

Kyunki IDFC bank bhi starting me khud RuPay debit card and UPI pe he focus kiya, jab paise aa gaya phir dusre card network pe gaya.
you are digressing from the point

what I asked was what is the classification of big merchants

is it by their revenue or average ticket size?

because if by ticket size i have never seen anyone using upi at electronic store or a car dealership

its either a loan, emi or cc or dc

Abhishek012

TF Pioneer
you are digressing from the point

what I asked was what is the classification of big merchants

is it by their revenue or average ticket size?

because if by ticket size i have never seen anyone using upi at electronic store or a car dealership

its either a loan, emi or cc or dc
It is by their revenue.

Lobogris

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
A small charge should be implemented on all users and merchants per transaction. Like say 1 paisa for first 100 Rs and so on with a cap of say Re1 as a start. This can be used for system expenses. No one would notice if they are charged Rs 200.02 when paying.

Abhishek012

TF Pioneer
A small charge should be implemented on all users and merchants per transaction. Like say 1 paisa for first 100 Rs and so on with a cap of say Re1 as a start. This can be used for system expenses. No one would notice if they are charged Rs 200.02 when paying.
Users ? lol. MDR charges only applicable for merchants.

Before 2020, UPI charge 0.10% for transaction under 1k, 0.25% for transaction above 1k and no charge for transaction under Rs100.

No merchant had any complaint about this small MDR fee but now all merchant know what's MDR.