• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

NPCI CEO Dilip Asbe wants these merchants to pay reasonable charges for UPI payments in 3 year

Big merchants may have to pay for UPI payments in the coming years. National Payments Corporation of India's chief Dilip Asbe said that large merchants may have to pay charges for UPI-based payments in the next three years.

He said that presently all the energies are focused on providing a viable payment alternative to cash and increasing the acceptability of the Unified Payments Interface (UPI). NPCI's chief executive and managing director was speaking at an event organised by the Bombay Chartered Accountants Society (BCAS).

Why UPI may become 'paid' for some

Asbe added that in the future, a lot of money will be required in getting newer innovations, more people to use the ecosystem and incentives like cashbacks, adding that another 50 crore people need to be pulled into the system.

"From the long-term perspective, a reasonable charge, not on the small merchants but the larger merchants, will come. I don't know when it will come, whether it is one year, two years, three years down the line," he said.

A charge on UPI has been a contentious issue, there have been murmurs from the industry to introduce such charges. Presently, the government compensates players in the ecosystem for such transactions, which helps in the broader formalisation aim.

Asbe said that there has not been the "smallest of resistance" from the broader ecosystem till now, which has helped the system grow.

Source: Times of India

Abhishek012

TF Pioneer
@Abhishek012 you late this time?
Kal dekha tha, News me kuch interesting tha nhi isiliye daala nhi.

Big merchant k bare me kaha tha. woh log happily MDR pay karte hai.

Aam logo ko koi fark nhi parne wala hai isse.

Aur NPCI CEO pichle kuch years se he bole ja rahe hai UPI and RuPay Debit card pe MDR wapas aayega.

Jis din aa jayega usdin bhale bada news banega.

Tab tak yeh sab chalta rahega.

4uziaul

TF Pioneer
Contributor

Aur NPCI CEO pichle kuch years se he bole ja rahe hai UPI and RuPay Debit card pe MDR wapas aayega.

Bas ab maan bhi jao tum late ho chuke ho 🤭

shutapdiya

TF Ace
Contributor

Surprised Oh Great GIF by Neelesh Misra

Abhishek012

TF Pioneer
Nice, along with this they should revive the plan of NPCI rival, to foster innovation and competition.
Ya, there is a new "RBI plans to revive once-shelved idea for NPCI rival"

Three industry executives in the know say the central bank is still working to keep the initiative alive and could revive it this year; all three spoke on condition of anonymity.

shutapdiya

TF Ace
Contributor
Ya, there is a new "RBI plans to revive once-shelved idea for NPCI rival"

Three industry executives in the know say the central bank is still working to keep the initiative alive and could revive it this year; all three spoke on condition of anonymity.

To fir Rival aake cashback jada dega?

Abhishek012

TF Pioneer
Ya, har saal 2-4 bar NPCI CEO and other payment companies bolte rahete hai "Mere karan Arjun aayega", sorry MDR wapas aayega.

But jab aa jayega tab baat karenge ab.

Dekhna yeh saal k end tak bhi 2-4 bar aur news aayega MDR wapas aa raha hai ya uska planning chal raha hai ya FM se meeting hai MDR wapas lane k liye.

Yeh sab post kar k kya faida ab, jab aa jaye tab ekbar me woh bada news hoga.

Abhishek012

TF Pioneer
To fir Rival aake cashback jada dega?
Ya, RuPay card and UPI ka ek aur Rival company hua toh woh jada focus premium, super premium and Ultra premium segment me karega.

NPCI abhi public goods k liye kam karta hai isiliye bas gareebo, middle class and chote banks, small cities, villages, small merchants etc pe jada focus krta hai.

Aise NPCI ne recently RuPay credit card k premium segment k liye job vacancy nikala tha dekha tha.

D₹V

TF Prestige
Ya, har saal 2-4 bar NPCI CEO and other payment companies bolte rahete hai "Mere karan Arjun aayega", sorry MDR wapas aayega.

But jab aa jayega tab baat karenge ab.

Dekhna yeh saal k end tak bhi 2-4 bar aur news aayega MDR wapas aa raha hai ya uska planning chal raha hai ya FM se meeting hai MDR wapas lane k liye.

Yeh sab post kar k kya faida ab, jab aa jaye tab ekbar me woh bada news hoga.
Abhishek's real reaction right now:
IMG_20240101_131626_012.jpg