• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

NPCI CEO Dilip Asbe wants these merchants to pay reasonable charges for UPI payments in 3 year

Big merchants may have to pay for UPI payments in the coming years. National Payments Corporation of India's chief Dilip Asbe said that large merchants may have to pay charges for UPI-based payments in the next three years.

He said that presently all the energies are focused on providing a viable payment alternative to cash and increasing the acceptability of the Unified Payments Interface (UPI). NPCI's chief executive and managing director was speaking at an event organised by the Bombay Chartered Accountants Society (BCAS).

Why UPI may become 'paid' for some

Asbe added that in the future, a lot of money will be required in getting newer innovations, more people to use the ecosystem and incentives like cashbacks, adding that another 50 crore people need to be pulled into the system.

"From the long-term perspective, a reasonable charge, not on the small merchants but the larger merchants, will come. I don't know when it will come, whether it is one year, two years, three years down the line," he said.

A charge on UPI has been a contentious issue, there have been murmurs from the industry to introduce such charges. Presently, the government compensates players in the ecosystem for such transactions, which helps in the broader formalisation aim.

Asbe said that there has not been the "smallest of resistance" from the broader ecosystem till now, which has helped the system grow.

Source: Times of India

Lobogris

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Users ? lol. MDR charges only applicable for merchants.

Before 2020, UPI charge 0.10% for transaction under 1k, 0.25% for transaction above 1k and no charge for transaction under Rs100.

No merchant had any complaint about this small MDR fee but now all merchant know what's MDR.
I know but I was talking about charging something like 5 or 10 paise from people per transaction. They can charge merchants as well but users should pay too.

Abhishek012

TF Pioneer
I know but I was talking about charging something like 5 or 10 paise from people per transaction. They can charge merchants as well but users should pay too.
LOL, stupid idea bro.

No one will use digital payment, if you charge from customers even 1 paise.

Dnt forget, currently we need to promote our UPI to other countries. UPI break all records every month/year.

Until the UPI transaction growth is not saturated, Other countries are not deploy or adopt India's UPI.

Govt/NPCI will not charge UPI MDR from small merchants.

Lobogris

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
LOL, stupid idea bro.

No one will use digital payment, if you charge from customers even 1 paise.

Dnt forget, currently we need to promote our UPI to other countries. UPI break all records every month/year.

Until the UPI transaction growth is not saturated, Other countries are not deploy or adopt India's UPI.

Govt/NPCI will not charge UPI MDR from small merchants.
Who will skip it for 5 paise? I doubt anyone would care. If you are paying 86 Rs and end up paying 86.05, there is no way anyone would notice.