• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Novotel Kolkata : An Exceptional Business Hotel with Amazing Hospitality

Hello everyone! As you all know my love for travel never stops, and with the blessing of credit card points and amazing loyalty programs life become easier to experience the experiences which usually hadn't had experienced by us.

Sometimes travelling for long days just don't get executed, but then comes the places of hometown. In search of weekend gateways, this time I decided to stay with Novotel Kolkata. After staying with them, all I wondered that what kind of experience I missed so far. As Kolkata is having some exceptional properties but due to being hometown, the stay don't usually happen, and this time I stayed at one of the finest of Kolkata, without any special occasion.

Now let's dig into how I booked this property. As most of you who're going to read it, probably is aware of me holding a Axis Reserve credit card, and with it, Accor Plus Silver membership comes, and some recent changes to the program is now giving 2 Stay Plus Night and I decided to avail one of the Free Night with Novotel Kolkata. I booked with basic Deluxe room and they were humble enough to upgrade me to the Suites when I asked if that's possible. A big thanks goes to Mr. Arjun, the General Manager of Novotel, Kolkata, who also served at Hyatt Centric Candolim, Goa as a General Manager. Though he was out of town but he made sure I'm having a comfortable stay.

photo_2023-03-18 01.55.50.jpeg

photo_2023-03-18 01.56.04.jpeg

photo_2023-03-18 01.55.54.jpeg

photo_2023-03-18 01.55.56.jpeg

photo_2023-03-18 01.55.58.jpeg

photo_2023-03-18 01.56.00.jpeg

photo_2023-03-18 01.56.02.jpeg

We took an early check-in and met one of most amazing person who was there to welcome us, Mr. Rana. If you're visiting Novotel Kolkata and not having a conversation Mr. Rana, you'll miss a big thing. As being a credit card enthusiast I'm more into the loyalty program and I was asking him why Accor is only having one tie up with HDFC bank and why not other and we started discussing, and guess what, he turned out to be the Loyalty Champion and the person who's one of the key responsible for the creation of All Accor Loyalty Program, the man himself and he shared how many steps and complex things goes behind the simple redemption Accor offers. He's a rider by heart and was really talking his heart out about him and his wife's travel story, which inspired me a lot. A 17 years of experience in hospitality carrier where he started as an attendant and now he's the Head of Operation at Novotel Kolkata.

A Hotel shines more when it can serve its guests with variety and quality of culinary delights. Novotel Kolkata is not an exception in terms of providing best of the cuisine. It is suppose to be as one of the celebrity Chef is there as the Executive Chef and F&B Director, Chef Neelabh Sahay. Not only him but the whole team is responsible for the delightful experience we had. It’ll be injustice if I don’t mention the name of the Head Chef, Chef Ravi. Chef Ravi used to serve at many finest properties as well as he served at the famous Carnival Cruise. He started his humble carrier only as a simple cook and reached over here. His journey is truly inspiring. He made sure we are having best of the offerings Novotel has to offer.

photo_2023-03-18 01.56.13.jpeg

photo_2023-03-18 01.56.19.jpeg

photo_2023-03-18 01.56.20.jpeg

photo_2023-03-18 01.56.22.jpeg

Oh wait did I forget to mention the most amazing coffee I’ve ever had? Yes, it was from Blue Tokai as one of the welcome drinks.

D261319B-C571-483A-80F3-4FAB3B811E72.jpeg

As mentioned earlier we got to stay at the Suites of Novotel, and the view from it is so beautiful. When the city lits up in night, it’ll give an amazing view this room. The welcome amenities were so thoughtful. The Bengal is famous for its sweets, and the sweets were so delicious, we craved for more.

View attachment IMG_1708.mp4

All I can say, if you’re visiting Kolkata for business or staycation, feel free to stay at Novotel Kolkata to feel the warmth of their hospitality. A big thank you to the team for taking care of everything throughout the stay.

If you’ve stayed at Novotel Kolkata, do let me know how amazing your experience have been! Also do let me know if you’ve visited Kolkata where you stayed and any bucket list? Would love to listen to you all.

Mr Ace

TF Buzz
can you please explain in detail, how have you managed to book this trip of yours & approximately how much did it cost you ?

starstruck

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
My experience with this Novotel is especially bad. If you check in late night around 9-10 PM, their hospitality degrades vs in morning.

Inattentive reception desk , waiters cleaning plates in front of guest with own hands at restaurant, manager shouting on waiter in front of guests, delays in bringing bill, bringing bill to room after expressly told not to do so because they don't block credit card amount at the time of check in and booking wrong cab sizes for airport drops. All of this within 12 hours.

Only morning breakfast service was five star level as the staff were well rested.

Subhankar

TF Ace
TF Family
Chief Mod
My experience with this Novotel is especially bad. If you check in late night around 9-10 PM, their hospitality degrades vs in morning.

Inattentive reception desk , waiters cleaning plates in front of guest with own hands at restaurant, manager shouting on waiter in front of guests, delays in bringing bill, bringing bill to room after expressly told not to do so because they don't block credit card amount at the time of check in and booking wrong cab sizes for airport drops. All of this within 12 hours.

Only morning breakfast service was five star level as the staff were well rested.

That’s some unlikely event, I believe. Tried to contact the GM / OPS head? I’d highly recommend you to get in touch with them if you face such issues. Not only of this property but at any if you face so.

starstruck

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
That’s some unlikely event, I believe. Tried to contact the GM / OPS head? I’d highly recommend you to get in touch with them if you face such issues. Not only of this property but at any if you face so.
I could not leave a proper review at the time of checkout as I had a flight to catch. But after giving them review on booking site, two different managers contacted for apologies & feedback. I told them the same things as above. I hope they improve but I will never go back here to verify.

Subhankar

TF Ace
TF Family
Chief Mod
I could not leave a proper review at the time of checkout as I had a flight to catch. But after giving them review on booking site, two different managers contacted for apologies & feedback. I told them the same things as above. I hope they improve but I will never go back here to verify.
My experience is pretty recent, hope that thing has been rectified.

anirban.choudhury

TF Legend
TF Family
VIP Lounge

My experience which was around January mid , was not that bad , but yeah it was not of the level of ITC Royal or Sonar or Oberoi .
It was a overall a decent stay , the food was great though.

My experience in the hotel was pretty horrible.
No offence but the businesses usually behave very well in front of social media influencers (hotel and travel reviewers in your case)

I checked in here yesterday, probably you were here too in that 8hands event.
The staff didn’t take any advance at the time of checkin and when I ordered room service, they asked me to pay on the spot, despite of me telling them that I would prefer to pay it at the checkout.

I have an accor plus membership, but they refused to provide any offers on that that it’s not allowed on room dining. Okay, I get it. I went down to the reception to ask them to resolve future bills at the checkout, for which they tell me that I should have given the deposit, which they should have asked for at the check in.
The receptionist had no idea about the accor plus dine in discount and asked me to go to the accorplus desk, surprise, they say 15% off while the website says 50% for couple. They ask me to enquire with the restaurant manager. I walked to the restaurant with a nice employee to enquire with the restaurant manager who was kind enough to tell me the numbers.

Today we decided to have a lunch at The Square, Novotel, I reached there at 3:50, amidst a mice environment, a band was singing, some airline crew were eating.
We ordered a simple meal 1kadai paneer, 1 poori/lucchii , 1 naan, 1 dessert. All of this was probably available in buffet, so we figured it would be quick. the waiter informs that the tandoor is turned off now so parantha can be an option. We said yes. Fast forward to 4:30, the timing is exact as I kept looking on the watch for a mental deadline. Everyone has left, the band had already stopped at 4, ate their buffet and was now packing up and leaving the venue. I went to the server and asked if the food is ready. The server apologises and checks, he said he’ll be back asap. He comes back with food in his hand and I go back.
I requested him to repeat the parantha when the food got on my table as the poori was very small, a 2 bite sized for something that was priced 250+gst.
The parantha got over in a minute or two between 2 people, and now the shitshow happens again.
20 more minutes pass, in the meanwhile 2 airhostesses come, are given pretty good hospitality, they get their food asap,here, it’s been exactly 50 minutes since I ordered the food, I walk over to the server again on the opposite end of the hall, and enquire about the parantha, and ask him to cancel the dessert, and send only the parantha. He goes in, and after few minutes, the server comes back to my seat with a single parantha instead of the 2, they had forgotten the order, Again, we had to share the parantha between the 2 and it got over in a minute, the airhostesses have left as well by now, we waited for another 10 minutes, and here he comes with another parantha and the dessert which we had asked him not to bring. Let’s skip forward another 10 minutes when I had to get up again and ask them to bring the bill, a 2570 inr bill with a service charge for a shit service where we waited 1hr 20 minutes for 3 plain parantha and the server never even cared to come back to refill water. All of this despite asking very politely every time.

I’ve always applauded Indian hotels for their hospitality, but this one doesn’t deserve it. I believe this hotel only cares about the influencers, (I encountered a lot of them here) and the regular flight crews. The room cleaning that was done after we went out, didn’t even care to put new water bottles in the room

Subhankar

TF Ace
TF Family
Chief Mod
My experience in the hotel was pretty horrible.
No offence but the businesses usually behave very well in front of social media influencers (hotel and travel reviewers in your case)

I checked in here yesterday, probably you were here too in that 8hands event.
The staff didn’t take any advance at the time of checkin and when I ordered room service, they asked me to pay on the spot, despite of me telling them that I would prefer to pay it at the checkout.

I have an accor plus membership, but they refused to provide any offers on that that it’s not allowed on room dining. Okay, I get it. I went down to the reception to ask them to resolve future bills at the checkout, for which they tell me that I should have given the deposit, which they should have asked for at the check in.
The receptionist had no idea about the accor plus dine in discount and asked me to go to the accorplus desk, surprise, they say 15% off while the website says 50% for couple. They ask me to enquire with the restaurant manager. I walked to the restaurant with a nice employee to enquire with the restaurant manager who was kind enough to tell me the numbers.

Today we decided to have a lunch at The Square, Novotel, I reached there at 3:50, amidst a mice environment, a band was singing, some airline crew were eating.
We ordered a simple meal 1kadai paneer, 1 poori/lucchii , 1 naan, 1 dessert. All of this was probably available in buffet, so we figured it would be quick. the waiter informs that the tandoor is turned off now so parantha can be an option. We said yes. Fast forward to 4:30, the timing is exact as I kept looking on the watch for a mental deadline. Everyone has left, the band had already stopped at 4, ate their buffet and was now packing up and leaving the venue. I went to the server and asked if the food is ready. The server apologises and checks, he said he’ll be back asap. He comes back with food in his hand and I go back.
I requested him to repeat the parantha when the food got on my table as the poori was very small, a 2 bite sized for something that was priced 250+gst.
The parantha got over in a minute or two between 2 people, and now the shitshow happens again.
20 more minutes pass, in the meanwhile 2 airhostesses come, are given pretty good hospitality, they get their food asap,here, it’s been exactly 50 minutes since I ordered the food, I walk over to the server again on the opposite end of the hall, and enquire about the parantha, and ask him to cancel the dessert, and send only the parantha. He goes in, and after few minutes, the server comes back to my seat with a single parantha instead of the 2, they had forgotten the order, Again, we had to share the parantha between the 2 and it got over in a minute, the airhostesses have left as well by now, we waited for another 10 minutes, and here he comes with another parantha and the dessert which we had asked him not to bring. Let’s skip forward another 10 minutes when I had to get up again and ask them to bring the bill, a 2570 inr bill with a service charge for a shit service where we waited 1hr 20 minutes for 3 plain parantha and the server never even cared to come back to refill water. All of this despite asking very politely every time.

I’ve always applauded Indian hotels for their hospitality, but this one doesn’t deserve it. I believe this hotel only cares about the influencers, (I encountered a lot of them here) and the regular flight crews. The room cleaning that was done after we went out, didn’t even care to put new water bottles in the room

That’s not a dining experience one should have, I’ll forward this to a person who may address this. If you’re fine with it, please do share your details in DM.

I just want to highlight few things:

1. You don’t get AccorPlus discounts for in-room dining.
2. Pre-authentication is a standard practice for all the hotels, which got missed by the person who was checking you in. Could be a new employee or a mistake from his/her end.
3. The 15% discount on F&B is not of AccorPlus but of hotel’s discount. Probably you booked / got upgraded to a room similar or higher to Premier category room.
4. AccorPlus awareness is in general less to the participating hotels. I’ve observed this even at Banyan Tree as well for my upcoming booking and I highlighted this earlier as well.
5. The buffet gets over at 3PM, as per my memory goes. And you unfortunately went when most staffs’ shift ends and they prepare for Dinner buffet. But again those delays and miss orders are not some standard practice for sure. Also not filling the water. But have you asked to fill the water?
6. That water-bottle refill usually happens, I’m not sure why it didn’t happen.

Lastly, the staffs didn’t know “exactly” who I’m because I don’t usually like to tell to get the experience which can be as authentic as any other guests will have. I don’t consider myself influencer or any such thing, as I do pay from my own pocket and share the experience, and absolutely don’t go for any freebies. Even at TechnoFino we don’t like “paid promotions” of any such thing. Just clearing this out as you shared your thoughts.

Many went to Novotel Kolkata with my recommendation and they gave good feedback only so far. Ofcourse none of the staffs knew that they went with my recommendation.

Please do feel free drop your details in my dm, I’ll share to the right person, so that it gets addressed. For that part, I hope I can be helpful.

That’s not a dining experience one should have, I’ll forward this to a person who may address this. If you’re fine with it, please do share your details in DM.

I just want to highlight few things:

1. You don’t get AccorPlus discounts for in-room dining.
2. Pre-authentication is a standard practice for all the hotels, which got missed by the person who was checking you in. Could be a new employee or a mistake from his/her end.
3. The 15% discount on F&B is not of AccorPlus but of hotel’s discount. Probably you booked / got upgraded to a room similar or higher to Premier category room.
4. AccorPlus awareness is in general less to the participating hotels. I’ve observed this even at Banyan Tree as well for my upcoming booking and I highlighted this earlier as well.
5. The buffet gets over at 3PM, as per my memory goes. And you unfortunately went when most staffs’ shift ends and they prepare for Dinner buffet. But again those delays and miss orders are not some standard practice for sure. Also not filling the water. But have you asked to fill the water?
6. That water-bottle refill usually happens, I’m not sure why it didn’t happen.

Lastly, the staffs didn’t know “exactly” who I’m because I don’t usually like to tell to get the experience which can be as authentic as any other guests will have. I don’t consider myself influencer or any such thing, as I do pay from my own pocket and share the experience, and absolutely don’t go for any freebies. Even at TechnoFino we don’t like “paid promotions” of any such thing. Just clearing this out as you shared your thoughts.

Many went to Novotel Kolkata with my recommendation and they gave good feedback only so far. Ofcourse none of the staffs knew that they went with my recommendation.

Please do feel free drop your details in my dm, I’ll share to the right person, so that it gets addressed. For that part, I hope I can be helpful.
1. Yep, that’s okay, they explained it.
2. yep, but I had to spend 1700 extra because of that
3. So that would be 15% and 50% ie 57.5% discount? PS, I wasn’t informed about the 15% discount at the time of check in? The site says 15% off for F&B for premium room, does that include room service?
4. The accor help desk at the hotel was the one that created the confusion. The F&B manager sorted it out
5. The buffet and live music was on till 4, maybe it gets over, no issues, but they should inform that when we came to dine for al carte. For water refill, they should at least have the courtesy to come back, they never came back to the seat after taking the first order, let alone asking again if we wanted to have anything else
6. We left the room and submitted the keys at the reception for cleaning, it’s expected that the bottles are refilled in the process.

Last edited:

Subhankar

TF Ace
TF Family
Chief Mod
1. Yep, that’s okay, they explained it.
2. yep, but I had to spend 1700 extra because of that
3. So that would be 15% and 50% ie 57.5% discount? PS, I wasn’t informed about the 15% discount at the time of check in? The site says 15% off for F&B for premium room, does that include room service?
4. The accor help desk at the hotel was the one that created the confusion. The F&B manager sorted it out
5. The buffet and live music was on till 4, maybe it gets over, no issues, but they should inform that when we came to dine for al carte. For water refill, they should at least have the courtesy to come back, they never came back to the seat after taking the first order, let alone asking again if we wanted to have anything else
6. We left the room and submitted the keys at the reception for cleaning, it’s expected that the bottles are refilled in the process.

For the 15% discount you can see them with the booking itself unless it’s an upgrade.

You can’t club that hotel discount with AccorPlus. You can avail either hotel discount or AccorPlus discount.

Always do carry your keys. No need to submit them. Just turn on the housekeeping service. If it’s an odd time, just before leaving, dial the housekeeping and let them know to clean your room. Do leave a note on note-pad what you need and let that know them over call. It’ll be done. This is what we usually do irrespective of any hotel. Works fine for us.

The buffet was open probably due to weekend but it gets closed by 3PM. But again, those delays and not asking for water are surely the areas of improvement and I’d be upset too if I was at your place

For the 15% discount you can see them with the booking itself unless it’s an upgrade.

You can’t club that hotel discount with AccorPlus. You can avail either hotel discount or AccorPlus discount.

Always do carry your keys. No need to submit them. Just turn on the housekeeping service. If it’s an odd time, just before leaving, dial the housekeeping and let them know to clean your room. Do leave a note on note-pad what you need and let that know them over call. It’ll be done. This is what we usually do irrespective of any hotel. Works fine for us.

The buffet was open probably due to weekend but it gets closed by 3PM. But again, those delays and not asking for water are surely the areas of improvement and I’d be upset too if I was at your place
I would have understood if they said that it’s closing time, but they didn’t say that. They don’t give you offers on in room dining, and when you want to order the same thing in ala carte in the restaurant, they’ll give you poor service

the 15% on F&B should be applicable on room dining then, if I’m not using accorplus discount on that. F&B should include that, right?