• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

No more spam SMS from companies!

No more spam SMS from companies!

Companies which send promotional SMS will have to take your consent before sending you any SMS.

You can now check which companies can/cannot send you an SMS.
20231108_112625.jpg
Earlier, your service provider (eg- Airtel) would not know which companies are allowed to send you a message.

So any random company could send you a promotional message and you could not do anything but get annoyed.
With the implementation of Digital Consent Acquisition (DCA) process, the companies will ask for your consent for any promotional messages.

You will get an SMS with common short code "127xxx" with the company name and other details asking for your consent.
Only upon receiving consent, service provider (eg- Airtel) will allow these companies to send you any further SMS and calls.

You can check all the blocked/unblocked companies from your service provider app.
Yesterday companies from banking, insurance, finance and trading sectors were instructed to onboard the process.

We should expect companies from other sectors to be onboarded by 30th Nov, 2023.

Dhruvit.S

TF Premier
TF Family
After a while I noticed that with DND app reports you will eventually get rid of most callers.

The problem is the ones calling from private numbers the sketchy agents, that'd be a job only for Truecaller. Even if you report these numbers and their number gets restricted they'll prob call from different numbers. I'm surprised how come they never run out of numbers...
DND app isn't available on iOS and Truecaller is useless on iOS. Facing third world problems 🥲

CosmicCat

TF Premier
If anyone is still receiving promotional communication (SMS as well as calls) despite having DND activated already, I recommend them to:
1. Go to your telecom operator's app and turn on "Full DND" instead of the "Block Promotional Calls Only."

2. If Full DND is on already, deregister DND, and after 14 days (No shorter), turn back Full DND on.

You have to do it from your operator's app or website only. Search on YouTube if you can't locate the option.

This might reduce the volume of calls and messages by a huge margin, especially if your DND preference is from before 2021 wherein the new DLT regulations came into play. The genuine messages will come regardless of your DND preference.

Also, always contact the violator company and ask them to stop giving you unsolicited promotional calls and SMS. If they refuse, contact their Grievance Department (Should be available under Terms and Conditions portion of their page).

balpreet.singh

TF Select
VIP Lounge
I don't mind marketing SMS messages as I can read them at my leisure. Just can't tolerate marketing calls as calls requires our immediate attention and diverts us from whatever we are doing. DND app so far helped removing marketing calls. Even HDFC credit card spammers stopped calling after a series of complaints via DND app by TRAI.
I am in agreement with you on SMS being less intrusive. Its the calls which need to be stopped. As these are different people who keep calling from new number. DND complaint can restrict one number, but there is an army of tele callers sitting there with your data to call you for selling fin products ( Loans / cards) real estate proejcts etc.

nileshgr

TF Buzz
DND is a joke in India, and TRAI was never serious about it. Most genuine DND violation complaints were closed by the recipient operator claiming "Not promotional in nature." And you couldn't escalate it to TRAI either.

And if you raise too many DND complaints, the SMS service providers/gateways would block your number, so you would stop getting even important SMSs. It happened many times with me until I researched about its cause. Now I manually request companies to stop sending me any unsolicited promotional SMS (spam) on my number.

Furthermore, all the telecom operators in India are using the DLT tech and anti-spam filter of a private company called Tanla, and they are also the biggest SMS service provider/gateway in India with their child company called Karix Mobile. So, essentially, they have a monopoly on it.

Oh damn. A particular bank whose CC I use was spamming me by calls too much and I had been reporting the DND violations via telco's app. I did try the customer care route first though - they gave me a link which doesn't work (to unsubscribe).

After sometime I stopped receiving OTPs too, somehow managed to get it restarted after a system refresh or something like that by phone banking.

pmhunter

TF Select
On a related topic, I hope there is some discussion restricting only financial account OTP's to 6 digits and restrict other OTP's to 4 or 5 digits.
It would add an extra layer of security when we educate somebody who's not digitally active that never share a 6 digit OTP for delivery or any other reason.

CosmicCat

TF Premier
On a related topic, I hope there is some discussion restricting only financial account OTP's to 6 digits and restrict other OTP's to 4 or 5 digits.
It would add an extra layer of security when we educate somebody who's not digitally active that never share a 6 digit OTP for delivery or any other reason.
Varying OTP lengths for different purposes could confuse users and wouldn't necessarily boost security. Scammers adapt, and educating users about varied lengths might create more problems than solutions. Consistency in security measures is simpler and more effective for users.

MrRobot

TF Select
Please do something about these effing robo calls for loans, I even get them at 8PM in the evenings.

abhi23

TF Buzz
Yeh sab ek gimmick hai..... Govt says companies need to get a consent, before sharing your data to other companies..... then the same companies put a Terma and Condition in front of you to allow them the right to share your data for marketing purposes in order to use their services,

ab agar aap agree nahi karoge unke term and condition then you will get no service... so WTF. Government is making fool of everything.

Itna hi hai toh Governemtn shoud make a rule to Stop these companies to put that Clause in their Term and Condition.

WinSuperb7251

TF Select
DND is a joke in India, and TRAI was never serious about it. Most genuine DND violation complaints were closed by the recipient operator claiming "Not promotional in nature." And you couldn't escalate it to TRAI either.

And if you raise too many DND complaints, the SMS service providers/gateways would block your number, so you would stop getting even important SMSs. It happened many times with me until I researched about its cause. Now I manually request companies to stop sending me any unsolicited promotional SMS (spam) on my number.

Furthermore, all the telecom operators in India are using the DLT tech and anti-spam filter of a private company called Tanla, and they are also the biggest SMS service provider/gateway in India with their child company called Karix Mobile. So, essentially, they have a monopoly on it.
So, they block your number, you will have to replace your phone number?

cardy

TF Ace
Yeh sab ek gimmick hai..... Govt says companies need to get a consent, before sharing your data to other companies..... then the same companies put a Terma and Condition in front of you to allow them the right to share your data for marketing purposes in order to use their services,

ab agar aap agree nahi karoge unke term and condition then you will get no service... so WTF. Government is making fool of everything.

Itna hi hai toh Governemtn shoud make a rule to Stop these companies to put that Clause in their Term and Condition.
So true now a days