• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

NIYO GLOBAL CARD FOR IPHONE PURCHASE IN THAILAND

triloki.nath

TF Buzz
I am planning to buy an iPhone from Thailand.
I have NIYO DCB Debit Card and SBM Credit Card (5000 FD)
What is the best way to buy?

1) NIYO DCB Debit Card: Load 1 lakh and swipe POS. Is there any extra charge for spending a high amount like over 1 lakh?

2) NIYO SBM Credit Card(5000 FD):
I heard that when buying any item with SBM credit card, if the transaction amount is higher than FD(which is the card's limit), we can pre-pay the card via the CRED app and the balance will show in minus, and then we can transact. FD still will be 5000 only. No extra money will be blocked.
Suppose I pre-pay my NIYO SBM credit card Rs 1 lakh in advance (NOT INCREASING FD), then Can I use the card to pay 1 lakh directly, or are there any charges?

Would someone in this similar situation be able to help me?

Tejo

TF Legend
I am planning to buy an iPhone from Thailand.
I have NIYO DCB Debit Card and SBM Credit Card (5000 FD)
What is the best way to buy?

1) NIYO DCB Debit Card: Load 1 lakh and swipe POS. Is there any extra charge for spending a high amount like over 1 lakh?

2) NIYO SBM Credit Card(5000 FD):
I heard that when buying any item with SBM credit card, if the transaction amount is higher than FD(which is the card's limit), we can pre-pay the card via the CRED app and the balance will show in minus, and then we can transact. FD still will be 5000 only. No extra money will be blocked.
Suppose I pre-pay my NIYO SBM credit card Rs 1 lakh in advance (NOT INCREASING FD), then Can I use the card to pay 1 lakh directly, or are there any charges?

Would someone in this similar situation be able to help me?
Cred cards are not the prepaid cards to load and use.

Some Banks will upto 2x of the limit. I means of you axis fd card limit is 10k you can prepay 10k and can do 20k txn.

If cc txns above 10lkah in year, they will be reported ITD, so banks will restrict prepaying.

Once confirm with card issuer bank and niyo team customer care, else mail them.

triloki.nath

TF Buzz
Cred cards are not the prepaid cards to load and use.

Some Banks will upto 2x of the limit. I means of you axis fd card limit is 10k you can prepay 10k and can do 20k txn.

If cc txns above 10lkah in year, they will be reported ITD, so banks will restrict prepaying.

Once confirm with card issuer bank and niyo team customer care, else mail them.
Thanks for the extra info. I did not know.

triloki.nath

TF Buzz
both your options will work and there will be no extra charges unless you withdraw cash
you can load your credit card with extra money and use it too
Oh, thank you, that's a relief. Also, I avoid cash so will be paying the full amount by swiping POS (now I am thinking of paying via DCB as it's a debit card, so unused amount can be transferred back to my primary account if anything goes wrong). Hope my purchase will be done seamlessly.

kuku1687

TF Select
I also have some questions
1) Loadin charges of bookmyforex card using axis Atlas Card(baht is costing 2.39 during purchase which is slightly lesser than spending directly with atlas which is 2.41.)
2.) Are there any chances that I will not be able to use bookmyforex to pay for the phone because unloading price is very low in bookmyforex.
I basically want to use because I am looking to hit my milestone benifits.

techhdate

TF Premier
Oh, thank you, that's a relief. Also, I avoid cash so will be paying the full amount by swiping POS (now I am thinking of paying via DCB as it's a debit card, so unused amount can be transferred back to my primary account if anything goes wrong). Hope my purchase will be done seamlessly.
15 pro max comes around 1.15l in Thailand i guess

triloki.nath

TF Buzz
15 pro max comes around 1.15l in Thailand i guess
Yes, I checked the price, it's around 1.12 lacs for a 256GB Variant. I also read on this forum that there will be an instant deduction of 20% TCS on debit cards which will be refunded in 3 days if the overall transaction in a financial year is less than 7 lakhs. So, I will add 1.12 lacs+ an extra 20% to my DCB debit card to be on the safer side.
I will also try to get a VAT refund form from the store. Let's see.

Survivor35

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Yes, I checked the price, it's around 1.12 lacs for a 256GB Variant. I also read on this forum that there will be an instant deduction of 20% TCS on debit cards which will be refunded in 3 days if the overall transaction in a financial year is less than 7 lakhs. So, I will add 1.12 lacs+ an extra 20% to my DCB debit card to be on the safer side. I will also try to get a VAT refund form from the store. Let's see.
Yes, I checked the price, it's around 1.12 lacs for a 256GB Variant. I also read on this forum that there will be an instant deduction of 20% TCS on debit cards which will be refunded in 3 days if the overall transaction in a financial year is less than 7 lakhs. So, I will add 1.12 lacs+ an extra 20% to my DCB debit card to be on the safer side. I will also try to get a VAT refund form from the store. Let's see.
Keep us posted. Will follow this strategy Incase it works

triloki.nath

TF Buzz
Keep us posted. Will follow this strategy Incase it works
Sure but it will take some time. The attempted purchase will happen in Dec (2nd week).
Meanwhile, if someone reading this has some experience with VAT refunds are requested to throw some light on this thread.

triloki.nath

TF Buzz
I recently purchased iphone 15 pro from apple store bangkok using niyo credit card. After vat refund at the airport, the final price comes to less than 1 lakh INR.
Oh great. I have 3 questions.

1) Can you share the location of the Apple store in Bangkok from where you bought it?

2) You must have used NIYO SBM Credit card. How much Limit (Initial FD) do you have on the card?

3) Regarding the VAT refund form, I heard we need to request PP10 (Yellow form) from the Apple store only and they will need our passport and fill it out. Then, we must declare the item with the form during our exit at the airport immigration for the VAT refund. Is this the correct order of events?

Thanks.

abhi-t

TF Buzz
I can give answer to to your 2 questions

1) For apple store location you can refer to apple.com/th
3) while purchasing iPhone from apple store just ask them that you will be claiming vat refund. They will give you PP10 with bill. They just need your passport number so for that you can have passport or photo of information page of passport. You don’t need to declare anything at immigration. First you have to go for physical inspection( counter close to airlines checkiin counters and it is in right most corner when you enter airport) the person will inspect the goods and stamp your PP10. Please remember it is mandatory to have stamp here to get any Vat refund. After that do your flight checkin go to security check and immigration. After immigration while going to you airline gate you can follow the banner which shows where the vat refund counter is. At that counter show them bill and they will take PP10 and will give you refund in thai bhat cash.

triloki.nath

TF Buzz
I can give answer to to your 2 questions

1) For apple store location you can refer to apple.com/th
3) while purchasing iPhone from apple store just ask them that you will be claiming vat refund. They will give you PP10 with bill. They just need your passport number so for that you can have passport or photo of information page of passport. You don’t need to declare anything at immigration. First you have to go for physical inspection( counter close to airlines checkiin counters and it is in right most corner when you enter airport) the person will inspect the goods and stamp your PP10. Please remember it is mandatory to have stamp here to get any Vat refund. After that do your flight checkin go to security check and immigration. After immigration while going to you airline gate you can follow the banner which shows where the vat refund counter is. At that counter show them bill and they will take PP10 and will give you refund in thai bhat cash.
Thanks for this information.
Also, my second question is, Do I need to have fd of 1 lac to make a purchase of 1 lac item? Or I can have 5000FD and pre-pay my card with 1 lac money and then buy the item(I don't want to block money in FD)? I just need to clear up this confusion as at many forums/sites some are saying it can be done.

Please let me know if you have any info on this.

Last edited:
Oh great. I have 3 questions.

1) Can you share the location of the Apple store in Bangkok from where you bought it?

2) You must have used NIYO SBM Credit card. How much Limit (Initial FD) do you have on the card?

3) Regarding the VAT refund form, I heard we need to request PP10 (Yellow form) from the Apple store only and they will need our passport and fill it out. Then, we must declare the item with the form during our exit at the airport immigration for the VAT refund. Is this the correct order of events?

Thanks.
1. It was apple store, central world.
2. Yes, we used niyo global. Just prepay the amount(around 1.1 lakh) to niyo card. No need for extra FD.
3. Yes, tell them you need vat refund. Passport number will be filled in the form, so its necessary. In bangkok airport, they will inspect your phone and give you refund. Vat refund will have 2 options, Either back to card transfer or cash. We opted for cash because they said card transfer will take around 1 month.

triloki.nath

TF Buzz
1. It was apple store, central world.
2. Yes, we used niyo global. Just prepay the amount(around 1.1 lakh) to niyo card. No need for extra FD.
3. Yes, tell them you need vat refund. Passport number will be filled in the form, so its necessary. In bangkok airport, they will inspect your phone and give you refund. Vat refund will have 2 options, Either back to card transfer or cash. We opted for cash because they said card transfer will take around 1 month.
Thanks a lot. Now I am at peace.