• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

New Type of Credit Card Scam

Strange

TF Legend
Got a call from normal Indian number and person said he's from axis bank and enquired is everything going fine with my credit card. I said everything is fine. Then he said there's limit enhancement offer on your credit card. I told okay proceed with it. Then he said why haven't I used my points (at this point I understood that it's scam, since me and not redeeming points impossible).

I said him okay proceed with LE, we'll see about points later. Then he said I'll get call from a toll free number for proceeding with LE.

I got call after 1 mins from a toll free number and person is like we are calling from toll free number mentioned behind the card ( I didn't verify this and said okay). Next she said same there's LE. I said okay do it. Then call got disconnected.

She called me again from same number as first number I got call and said call got disconnected due to sever issue. I said okay no problem proceed with LE. Then she said we need to verify the 16 digit client id mentioned on credit card ( at this point I fed up to play with scam and disconnected and blocked the numbers)

And one thing to note is I got call from number mentioned behind axis bank credit card only. After checking call logs again understood that call I got had + infront of it and official number behind credit card don't have + infront of it.

Be careful guys don't believe even if it looks like official number also. Don't share any sensitive details.
Many SBI Card users have been scammed by similar frauds. They call from a lookalike mobile number of SBI Card support to scam.

Strange

TF Legend
Yes, they just call from a virtual number from another country, hence these first calls are usually of 10-15 seconds to save international tariff. These spoofers have a "+" infront and then the country code like +180XX (Republic of South Sudan in this case) and common man thinks it's their bank calling them.
They were calling from Indian number.

Watch this video for more info.

1000055283.jpg

shivamk

TF Premier
I got a call yesterday stating that he is from ICICI and I have some charges on my account since international transaction is turned on. I asked him last 2 digits of card, he diverted to download iMobile. Then asked card category and got same reply. After reading about frauds here I knew it's a scam and he will ask me to download app from WhatsApp.

And guess what, even if you complain, no one gives a shit to catch these scammers. They work on a large scale and even if caught, money will get them out of the trouble

SonyTom

TF Premier
Can you please share the number you got call from?

BTW toll free numbers (starting from 1800) are for incoming only, there's no outgoing possible. Means you won't ever receive call from a toll free number.
Maybe you're confusing Customer Care with Toll Free.

If not asking much then please report it on Sanchar Saathi portal.
Just now got another call from similar accent female (from no: 8778073525) saying she is calling from HDFC. Reported it to sanchar saathi.

Milan

TF Buzz
I also got a call that I am talking to HDFC Mumbai branch, there is an offer to increase the limit in your card, then I asked him to increase the limit. send him hdfc my card login otp to my mobile. i asked how much limit increase. He said I will let you know after I process that OTP. I said this is my card login OTP he tried hard to convince me that this is a secure OTP and then cut call. I checked after talking to HDFC that there is no offer to increase my card limit. Calling from 97749 85250

SonyTom

TF Premier
Again got a scam call now from 9500638080.
On taking the call it was a recorded male voice saying it is from Bombay High court and that case has been registered against me by Mumbai police. I cut the call since I have heard of such scams.
Reported this also to Sanchar sathi.

shivamk

TF Premier
Got another call from 8960465135, this time saying CPP is by default on. I asked the card category, she said Coral. I denied and said "Scam karna hai toh thoda dhang se Karo".

SonyTom

TF Premier
Got another scam 9718645087 call from Seems everyone has targetted me today.

Initially the female voice at the other end told in hindi that she is from HDFC and I have been approved for credit card. When I told I have HDFC credit card, she asked which card, I told infinia. She asked how much limit, I told 20 lakhs. She told me to apply for Indusind Legend credit card. When I told I have that too, she told to apply for AU LIT credit card. I told I have that too.

She was like aapke paas saare credit card he kya😂😂😂

I told her I will report to cybercrime. She was least worried. Then I told her to go to hell and cut the call.

Reported this too.

Zacobite

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Got another scam 9718645087 call from Seems everyone has targetted me today.

Initially the female voice at the other end told in hindi that she is from HDFC and I have been approved for credit card. When I told I have HDFC credit card, she asked which card, I told infinia. She asked how much limit, I told 20 lakhs. She told me to apply for Indusind Legend credit card. When I told I have that too, she told to apply for AU LIT credit card. I told I have that too.

She was like aapke paas saare credit card he kya😂😂😂

I told her I will report to cybercrime. She was least worried. Then I told her to go to hell and cut the call.

Reported this too.
looks like they also have monthly targets.. its become v bad...maybe banks are encouraging this like rbl news yesterday.. conspiracy theory 🤯

Last edited:

SonyTom

TF Premier
looks like they also have monthly targets.. its become v bad...maybe banks are encouraging this like rbl news yesterday.. conspiracy theory 🤯
Monthly targets may be correct.
But didn't understand why banks would encourage such scammers

Zacobite

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Nope. A chain is as strong as the weakest link. The weak link 🔗 can be the very first cc one applies.
have blocked all my cards and reduced transaction limits for main 3 cards.. but.. if what happened in icici cards happens then no one can do anything!!!!

SonyTom

TF Premier
have blocked all my cards and reduced transaction limits for main 3 cards.. but.. if what happened in icici cards happens then no one can do anything!!!!
Me too.

ICICI credit card problem didn't result in any monetary loss for anyone it seems. But could have resulted in huge financial losses It's a miracle that the scammers didn't get a whiff of this