• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Need suggestion on amex card to apply for?

dungeonMaster

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Looking to apply for 1st amex card. Which card should I opt for?

Plat Travel - Interested in this as this offers most MR points in a year. But got rejected in mid december.

MRCC - Good card, low fees compared to others and good rewards.

Plat reserve - Not so much rewarding, but current offer is going where getting 1500 amazon gv + almost 15k MR points on joining. Can later close and switch to MRCC.

My queries -
Will MR points be merged for separate cards in a single account or separate account will be there? I read somewhere there's a trick for that. Is it so?

cclurker

TF Buzz

Plat Travel - Interested in this as this offers most MR points in a year. But got rejected in mid december.

Plat reserve - Not so much rewarding, but current offer is going where getting 1500 amazon gv + almost 15k MR points on joining. Can later close and switch to MRCC.

My queries -
Will MR points be merged for separate cards in a single account or separate account will be there? I read somewhere there's a trick for that. Is it so?
Points come to a single pool. No trick required. If 18/24k redemption is what you are asking about, you can select MRCC/gold charge card during redemption from the drop down.

dungeonMaster

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Points come to a single pool. No trick required. If 18/24k redemption is what you are asking about, you can select MRCC/gold charge card during redemption from the drop down.
But need to apply for mrcc separately then right?
What do you suggest should I then opt for plat reserve now? And later on apply for mrcc

SN.M

TF Buzz
hola comrade, this was my take on amex before applying.

I have compared it side by side. like how much I usually spend , where do I spend, how to maximise the benefits from it, how many times do I travel in a year.
after comparing it , I choose gold charge , no major spend based benefits , except it gives 1000 mr points every month for spending 1000 rs 6 times.

my dead expenditure for another 5-6 years including utility / insurance are going to be 12000/month and that sums upto 144000/ year.
usually all those 12000 I spend via amazon pay , where I get amazon vouchers via reward multiplier.
so for 1 month for spending 1000 * 6 times I get 1000 bonus points , regular points for 6000 = 60*100 = 60*10 = 600. so for spending 6000 in one month via RM , I get 1000+600 = 1600 .
so for total 12000 spend I get 1600+120 = 1720 points. for 1 year its going to be 20640. these are dead expenditures which are definitely going to be there. I use my card for other transactions aswell but since it is not via RM , am going to get 1 MR for every 50 spent.
so that's when I came up with a new strategy, I have applied for MRCC , so that , if I spend 1500 *4 times in one month am going to get another 1000 Reward points. since am going to do it via RM , total points = 1000+240 = 1240 points.
this way if I spend 6000 on gold charge and mccc am going to get 1600+1240 = 2840 points. instead of 1720 if I only use Gold charge.
so I went ahead and applied for MRCC and later my idea is to convert mrcc to companion card. if they don't convert I will go ahead and cancel mccc at the end of this year.
I travel less , but for lounge access I have Indusind pinnacle credit card and also Priority pass access which I have got via the same credit card.
I usually do all my payments via amazon pay and buy amazon vouchers via amex gyftr platform.
I will not be crossing the threshold setup bu amex plat / amex reserve to get 40k MR points.

this was my take.

if you wish to apply you can use my referral link "DM for referral link" (link removed by TFC, as it's against T&C)

if you already have a referral link , that's fine , but don't not apply for card with out the referral ,you will be missing extra reward points and for Mrcc card its going to be a discounted renewal fee + first year fee.

Last edited by a moderator:

SN.M

TF Buzz
Gold / plat charge give 5x mr points via RM/ amex gyftr
plat travel /reserve give 3x mr points via RM/ amex gyftr
MRCC/smart earn give 2x mr points via RM/ amex gyftr

dungeonMaster

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I am applying for first amex card which card should I apply for?
1. Currently amex plat reserve is having joining offer of 15k MR points + 1500 amex voucher, should I apply for it and close it before renewal and apply mrcc later?
2. If I apply mrcc later, will I be able to use referral as annual fee is 1500 through referral.
3. Should I ignore both and directly apply amex plat travel as it most vfm.

SN.M

TF Buzz
I am applying for first amex card which card should I apply for?
1. Currently amex plat reserve is having joining offer of 15k MR points + 1500 amex voucher, should I apply for it and close it before renewal and apply mrcc later?
2. If I apply mrcc later, will I be able to use referral as annual fee is 1500 through referral.
my take is that . amex acceptability is very less because of its mdr.

I believe it is anywhere in between 3.5-4.5%.
where as for visa/ Mastercard its 1.5-2%.so merchants accepting amex is very low for now.
also only Paytm and pine labs POS machines support it. , from what I have come across.

so since my dead expenditure is 12k/month , for this I need not use any other payment method , I only use amex gyftr to get amazon pay vouchers. also 12k per month and for year its going to be only 144000 or 150000 approx.
so I choose gold charge /mrcc.
my expenditure is definitely going to be more than 3L. lets assume 3l for now. buying vouchers every month is for sure. that's 150000 . rest 150000 I might use this card / I might not use this card , that's because of the amex acceptance around me. since am not sure , I didn't go for plat travel.

also for only GC card gives reward for utility and petrol, no other card does. so if I ran out of amazon vouchers and still have utility bills to pay I will still the reward points.

most imp point is that - during my investigation I found out that , charge card can not be converted to a companion card. only credit card will be converted.
since I hold gold charge card, my intention is to convert mrcc to a companion card. if you want plat travel to be converted in to a companion card you will need to have a much higher variant charge card , which is plat charge and its annual fee is 60k.
sorry mate , my attributes are completely different, so I request you to kindly choose the card based on your attributes.
take time , no hurry , we are spending 4500+gst , so compare it , do investigate. you can compare cards on amex page too.

Thank you
hope you have a great day

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Waste card.. dont go for plat reserve
Yes
Plat travel ismust

DM me for details.. I will explain the whole process.

You should apply for MRCC and Plat travel, in that order.. to club and maximise the MR points..

ashwinsid

TF Premier
VIP Lounge

My queries -
I too am new to Amex ecosystem. To keep it simple I got the MRCC first and then the Platinum travel card.

Avoid the platinum reserve card as it does not make sense paying the fees. Platinum travel is probably the best card as many have mentioned. If you have abount 4 Lakh+ spends in a year (school fees, insurance, fuel, amazon vouchers etc etc), you can easily get 50,000 Amex points + 10,000Rs. Taj voucher. With those 50K MR points, you can easily get about 2 nights at a luxury Marriott Hotel or even 3 to 4 nights at a resorts such as Westin Himalayas/Marriott Coorg etc and more nights at normal Marriott city hotels. So atleast one annual vacation guaranteed for normal spends.

My recommendation would be to just simply go with MRCC and Platinum Travel card for now and slowly if required go with Gold charge card.

You can apply with referral links to get first year free too. Use Amex reward multiplier to get vouchers and then Reward Xcelerator for bonus points on shopping. You can DM me for more advise from a newbie point of view.

dungeonMaster

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Gold / plat charge give 5x mr points via RM/ amex gyftr
plat travel /reserve give 3x mr points via RM/ amex gyftr
MRCC/smart earn give 2x mr points via RM/ amex gyftr

my take is that . amex acceptability is very less because of its mdr.

I believe it is anywhere in between 3.5-4.5%.
where as for visa/ Mastercard its 1.5-2%.so merchants accepting amex is very low for now.
also only Paytm and pine labs POS machines support it. , from what I have come across.

so since my dead expenditure is 12k/month , for this I need not use any other payment method , I only use amex gyftr to get amazon pay vouchers. also 12k per month and for year its going to be only 144000 or 150000 approx.
so I choose gold charge /mrcc.
my expenditure is definitely going to be more than 3L. lets assume 3l for now. buying vouchers every month is for sure. that's 150000 . rest 150000 I might use this card / I might not use this card , that's because of the amex acceptance around me. since am not sure , I didn't go for plat travel.

also for only GC card gives reward for utility and petrol, no other card does. so if I ran out of amazon vouchers and still have utility bills to pay I will still the reward points.

most imp point is that - during my investigation I found out that , charge card can not be converted to a companion card. only credit card will be converted.
since I hold gold charge card, my intention is to convert mrcc to a companion card. if you want plat travel to be converted in to a companion card you will need to have a much higher variant charge card , which is plat charge and its annual fee is 60k.
sorry mate , my attributes are completely different, so I request you to kindly choose the card based on your attributes.
take time , no hurry , we are spending 4500+gst , so compare it , do investigate. you can compare cards on amex page too.

Thank you
hope you have a great day
Does 5x reward multiplier is for all gvs on amex gyftr? Even for amazon pay?