• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Need suggestions on optimising spends for upcoming international trip

scorpio

TF Buzz
Our family will be travelling on an International trip in June/July. I'm looking for some suggestions on how to optimize spends.

I've almost reached the 4L milestone on my Amex Plat travel. I use Gold Charge for 1000x6 per month, my first year of gold card (not sure if it's worth continuing after that). I also applied for the MRCC recently, yet to receive the card - plant to use it for regular spends after 4L on plat travel.

Other cards I hold are - Diners club privelege(FYF) , idfc select(LTF), Axis myzone, axis flipkart, one card(LTF) , amazon icici.

I don't think my other cards (except maybe DCP) will help me get good rewards on international trip spends.

What are you recommendations? Should I refer my spouse for an Amex plat travel and use that? Should I apply for another card (I already hold quite a few so not looking to make it a lot)? Will using gold charge without multiplier for this trip be beneficial? Any other thoughts?

Thanks

vinrey287

TF Premier
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Depends on where you are planning to go. Each country and FFP have unique miles requirement. Also if you could share your existing point balance or balance we can give suggestions.
MR to Air miles is 1:2
Till June you will see off peak miles reqmnt in some sectors.
Pls also share pax and country preference.
Note :It's always good to apply Amex when referrals are available

scorpio

TF Buzz
Depends on where you are planning to go. Each country and FFP have unique miles requirement. Also if you could share your existing point balance or balance we can give suggestions.
MR to Air miles is 1:2
Till June you will see off peak miles reqmnt in some sectors.
Pls also share pax and country preference.
Note :It's always good to apply Amex when referrals are available
We are 5pax planning for a UK/Scotland/Northern Ireland trip.
All my Amex cards are in their first year and current points balance is 35.5k.
I've been reading that MR to Marriot Bonvoy points gives the most value but we don't plan to stay with Marriott in this trip. MR to air miles is my next best bet? The balance is not much so not sure if it's usage would be beneficial.

My major query however is how do we channel our upcoming spends so as to gain most of it?

Thanks a lot!

vinrey287

TF Premier
Contributor
VIP Lounge
We are 5pax planning for a UK/Scotland/Northern Ireland trip.
All my Amex cards are in their first year and current points balance is 35.5k.
I've been reading that MR to Marriot Bonvoy points gives the most value but we don't plan to stay with Marriott in this trip. MR to air miles is my next best bet? The balance is not much so not sure if it's usage would be beneficial.

My major query however is how do we channel our upcoming spends so as to gain most of it?

Thanks a lot!
UK would be tough ask as bare min is 20k points per person round trip during off peak for Virgin Atlantic. And MR to virgin is 2:1. You will need atleast 100k Virgin miles, so 200k MR which I doubt you can reach. You can try 1 side on miles and book revenue ticket for return depending on whichever is costlier fare

scorpio

TF Buzz
UK would be tough ask as bare min is 20k points per person round trip during off peak for Virgin Atlantic. And MR to virgin is 2:1. You will need atleast 100k Virgin miles, so 200k MR which I doubt you can reach. You can try 1 side on miles and book revenue ticket for return depending on whichever is costlier fare
I'm okay not utilising any MR points for this trip.

Do you have any tips on which card I should spend considering I've almost reached 4L on plat travel?

sourpai

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Amex cards in general are not good for forex spends, except may be plat charge. You will have 4.1% forex markup. Plus there will be acceptability issues

It will be better to take zero forex markup cards like RBL safari or IDFC Wow or cards like Yes Marquee, BoB eterna, AU Zenith+ for low forex fees etc.

vinrey287

TF Premier
Contributor
VIP Lounge
I'm okay not utilising any MR points for this trip.

Do you have any tips on which card I should spend considering I've almost reached 4L on plat travel?
Not Amex if you don't have Plat charge. As suggested by @sourpai , get one of those cards for forex spends. Yes Marquee> Zenith>Eterna>Wow>Safari would be my preference. HDFC DCP if you can get GVP activated and would want to upgrade to higher variant to show good spends.

scorpio

TF Buzz
Not Amex if you don't have Plat charge. As suggested by @sourpai , get one of those cards for forex spends. Yes Marquee> Zenith>Eterna>Wow>Safari would be my preference. HDFC DCP if you can get GVP activated and would want to upgrade to higher variant to show good spends.
Thank you for the response, also @sourpai. I also have the Niyo Global debit card which I think is better for spends to be done in the UK. For bookings/spends that I will be doing in India for the trip like flights and accommodations I have referred my spouse for plat travel so we can utilize the 4L on that card.