• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Is there any way to reactivate a closed citi credit card?

AlgoTrader

TF Ace
Out of anger against Axis bank, I went ahead and closed my Citi Indian Oil Credit Card few days back. But the way SBI Card Customer care responds to the issues I am raising, I feel I have made a mistake by closing CITI Card. CITI services was as good as old days so far and I could have waited. Even I rejected 1K retention offer.
My questions now is, Is there any way I can reactive the closed card and bring it back to life? Have anyone ever done this with CITI bank? And to make matters worse, it was my only relationship with citi bank, so I am not their customer anymore (i guess)

You think you have closed it. But, what did Citi do ? Did they CLOSE it or only BLOCK it. If it is closure - you need to start afresh.
If it only blocked, you can ask for a replacement card. The Citi App used to show the status very clearly. Hope for the best n without getting angry, talk to them and show real interest in continuing the relationship.

AlgoTrader

TF Ace
You think you have closed it. But, what did Citi do ? Did they CLOSE it or only BLOCK it. If it is closure - you need to start afresh.
If it only blocked, you can ask for a replacement card. The Citi App used to show the status very clearly. Hope for the best n without getting angry, talk to them and show real interest in continuing the relationship.
They definitely closed it, I got email on closure 2 minutes after disconnecting the call and SMS next day. I also double checked it in the portal next day and when I called them today and entered my CC number, IVR couldn't recognize it. So it is definitely closed.
If it needs a fresh start, i think it won;t be worth it. time to let go I guess. But I will wait for others response

In our case (my younger son, a citi premium card holder, had moved to US) - we asked them to close the card. But, they blocked it. This was about 5 years back. Just before Axis took over the Citi operations, Citi had sent us eMails and SMSs to know whether we still wanted to revive it and seek a replacement/new plastic. We said we were not interested. Only then, they closed it permanently. It could be because my son was having his salary account with them. That could be the reason for that sort of special treatment.