• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

How can I reactivate a dormant bank account without going to the home branch?

brack

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
The account is in Union Bank of India.
The home branch is in a city that I used to live in, but I don't have any reason to go to now.
According to chat with customer agent at the Union Bank website, I have to do re-KYC at the home branch before the account can be activated.
The account had netbanking but the password expired. Debit card is also expired.
I was not using the account, but it should have more than minimum balance.

I would like to reactivate the account and move it to my city. If not, I want to close it.
Does anyone have any suggestions to do these without going to the home branch?

yusuf646

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
The home branch is in a city that I used to live in, but I don't have any reason to go to now.
According to chat with customer agent at the Union Bank website, I have to do re-KYC at the home branch before the account can be activated.
The account had netbanking but the password expired. Debit card is also expired.

I would like to reactivate the account and move it to my city. If not, I want to close it.
Try visiting your nearest branch & tell them to transfer your account to that branch. Maybe there's a possibility, then you can do KYC there.

MudraMantra

TF Buzz

You can visit nearest branch on the bank and ask them to re-activate your account. Explain them that you are unable to visit that city at this point of time.
If that not work try to send email to that home branch and hope that they help you.

I have same issue with my wife’s PNB account! The account has become dormant with 15k amount in it !! I visited my nearby branch but I was told that I’ll have to visit the base branch for re kyc to active it & then only it can be transferred. Visiting the base branch is out of question here!!

Any other workable solution here??

yusuf646

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
I have same issue with my wife’s PNB account! The account has become dormant with 15k amount in it !! I visited my nearby branch but I was told that I’ll have to visit the base branch for re kyc to active it & then only it can be transferred. Visiting the base branch is out of question here!!

Any other workable solution here??
Send an email to the nodal officer. I am only able to find this email for PNB Nodal Officer care@pnb.co.in If anyone has a higher-level email, please share it here.

brack

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
It happened to my BOB. I sent a mail to my home branch and visited nearby branch. Either they called the home branch or did something at their end but the account got activated.
I visited the nearest branch today.
The options were to move the account here or to close the account.

While the manager was pleasant and willing to help, they want additional documents for transfer, which I was not prepared to give.
(Rent agreement, marriage certificate (if my name is not on rent agreement) and electricity bill of the landlord.)
To show current address as reason for transfer.
When I opened the account in 2009, all they wanted were PAN and one address proof, which need not be in the same city.

So I asked them to close the account.
I could write a letter for this, alongwith PAN and address proof.
The manager can claim that they have seen and verified the customer on behalf of the home branch.
She would then send me an email and the rest could continue on email with the home branch.

Unfortunately, she looked at my account at this point and said the account has negative balance and could not be closed until resolved.

She asked to contact home branch.

brack

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
You can visit nearest branch on the bank and ask them to re-activate your account. Explain them that you are unable to visit that city at this point of time.
If that not work try to send email to that home branch and hope that they help you.
Next, I tried calling the home branch using the number off Google Maps, the toll free number and the 2 landline numbers on the passbook. None work.

The Union Bank of India toll free number 1800 208 2244 worked, they gave me the current number for the branch, which is a mobile number.

Bank landlines have disappeared? o_O

Last edited:

brack

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
The lady at the home branch was helpful with all queries.
She asked me to email to the branch asking for reactivation with ID proof and say I could not come to the branch.

The obvious way was the best, in the end.