• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Is it safe to open FDs online?

I want to save my family’s money as FD in everyone’s account. Mostly HDFC and SBI bank. Making multiple FDs physically in bank is tedious task. Although I want to invest MF for better returns, my family members don’t want to take risk and only trust FDs (can’t expect any support from them in securities market). We plan to invest later in real estate and some other expenses coming up after 3-4 yrs. So I just want to know whether creating FDs in respective mobile banking apps safe? I have already created some, but never redeemed them. How is the redemption experience for you? Duration to break FD? And will physical banks help if we face issue ?

Rkr

TF Legend
TF Family
Contributor
I want to save my family’s money as FD in everyone’s account. Mostly HDFC and SBI bank. Making multiple FDs physically in bank is tedious task. Although I want to invest MF for better returns, my family members don’t want to take risk and only trust FDs (can’t expect any support from them in securities market). We plan to invest later in real estate and some other expenses coming up after 3-4 yrs. So I just want to know whether creating FDs in respective mobile banking apps safe? I have already created some, but never redeemed them. How is the redemption experience for you? Duration to break FD? And will physical banks help if we face issue ?
Online FDs are best and time saving and best part you can redeem as and when you want ..Even on holiday when banks didn't operates.

If you are able to do online then its best option to do.
Else vice versa.

Last edited:

varun__goel_

TF Legend
Have been creating FDs in HDFC online, deposit and withdrawal both instant.
In SBI, it works 8:00am to 8:00pm. Means, if you request for FD after 8pm it will be created on next day, don't know about withdrawl in SBI

sm9811911

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
It's easier doing it online if you compare against physical process. No difference in rates or anything like that. Only difference is you will not get the fd certificates that our elders love to correct.
Hdfc personal experience : within seconds you get back the money if you break the fd. Similarly, can make an fd within seconds, you get digital confirmation next day I think. And you can do it anytime even on weekends, so much more convenient.

D₹V

TF Prestige
Yes, safe.

credit_debit

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
No issue at all in online FDs. Instead of HDFC/ SBI, try with Small Finance Banks like AU, and Utkarsh for better returns. These are covered under DICGC, so safety is up to 5 Lakh per FD. If the amount is higher, can be distributed into different accounts / Branches.

the_dark_knight

TF Ace
Contributor
No issue at all in online FDs. Instead of HDFC/ SBI, try with Small Finance Banks like AU, and Utkarsh for better returns. These are covered under DICGC, so safety is up to 5 Lakh per FD. If the amount is higher, can be distributed into different accounts / Branches.
upto 5 lakh per bank per customer id (across all fd/savings balance with a bank)

credit_debit

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
upto 5 lakh per bank per customer id (across all fd/savings balance with a bank)
Agree, but if do it by using joint accounts, each account will be treated as separate, and all will be covered by a single bank. Below is the example from AU website, which illustrates the combination of accounts covered.

1700936944989.png

So different combinations with the same bank can be as below. All will be covered with 5 lakh insurance from same bank.
1700937182928.png

coolguy1

TF Ace
Contributor
VIP Lounge
As long as you're creating them in your personal/current account using the official bank app/website, you should be good.

It's same as opening as offline, just faster and better.