• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Income tax on sale of urban plot and buying agriculture land

Saipsy

TF Premier
Hi

Planning to sell urban plot which I held for more than 2 years. I know its subject to 20% ltcg.

Is there any way to minimize/avoid taxes.
What I have heard from a person (not a CA) is, if the gains are used to buy agriculture land then no tax liability.
Can any one confirm?

Hi

Planning to sell urban plot which I held for more than 2 years. I know its subject to 20% ltcg.

Is there any way to minimize/avoid taxes.
What I have heard from a person (not a CA) is, if the gains are used to buy agriculture land then no tax liability.
Can any one confirm?
If you have approx sale price then calculate capital gain first. After indexation there might loss or too little gain, then plan accordingly.

Also buying agriculture land is not going to reduce your tax liability. You either have to buy residential property or invest the money in specified bonds. There are also other exemption available u/s 54.

Last edited:

Saipsy

TF Premier
If you have approx sale price then calculate capital gain first. After indexation there might loss or too little gain, then plan accordingly.
It's in gain, approx 20L.
Is there any way to offset LTCG on that 20L apart from investing in house or tax saving bonds?