• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Impact of CIBIL drop on existing credit cards

Lobogris

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
If a person has a good CIBIL score, say 790 to 800 and has obtained several credit cards with high limits including top tier cards and has maintained a good payment and utilisation record and then for some reason, his score dips to 700 or lower, would the banks in question close the cards or reduce limits even if the payments are on time and the utilisation is low? Has anyone experienced this? It hasn't happened to me but I am curious about what would happen in such a scenario.

amitr29

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
If a person has a good CIBIL score, say 790 to 800 and has obtained several credit cards with high limits including top tier cards and has maintained a good payment and utilisation record and then for some reason, his score dips to 700 or lower, would the banks in question close the cards or reduce limits even if the payments are on time and the utilisation is low? Has anyone experienced this? It hasn't happened to me but I am curious about what would happen in such a scenario.
No, you will continue to enjoy the card and benefits

deep@vie

TF Legend
If utilisation isn't too much & all payments are done on time then it won't affect.
Every bank does review the credit limit assigned after few quarters but they don't see cibil,just the utilisation if the utilisation isn't higher side for a longer period of time,then they might decrease the limit,HDFC is doing so,I personally have seen many cases.
To be on safer side,don't ask for manual limit enhancement as well.

sidp

TF Ace
for some reason, his score dips to 700 or lower, would the banks in question close the cards or reduce limits even if the payments are on time and the utilisation is low?
If utilization is low, bank can decrease, especially if limit is >5L, but that also depends on your card type. Higher variant will have higher limit. E.g your infinnia wont go below 8L, but if you had millenia with same cl and utilization is low, it might decrease. Also depends on issuer Yes is stingy with cl. Recently many Scapia and some hdfc customer faced same problem. Whereas these things are less common with icici/axis.
And they check your account with them periodically. Only if you apply for upgrade/manual LE, they would do hard enquiry and see the drop in credit score. And then they might decrease cl.

deep@vie

TF Legend
One late payment & score can come down by 70 to 110 points