• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

How to close One Card?

sjmajumder

TF Ace
Hi,

I want the Scapia card but it is getting rejected as I have One Card from Federal Bank. I have metal One Card with 9.5L limit but hardly ever use it. I have requested them to close the card but they are not doing it. Giving me date after date. Ticket is open for over 2 weeks. Any suggestion hoe to close it so that I can get Scapia?

xfactcc

TF Premier
As per Master Direction – Credit Card and Debit Card – Issuance and Conduct Directions, 2022 - the authoritative document on the matter states:
8. Closure of Credit Card
(a) Any request for closure of a credit card shall be honoured within seven working days by the credit card-issuer, subject to payment of all dues by the cardholder. Subsequent to the closure of credit card, the cardholder shall be immediately notified about the closure through email, SMS, etc. Cardholders shall be provided option to submit request for closure of credit card account through multiple channels such as helpline, dedicated e-mail-id, Interactive Voice Response (IVR), prominently visible link on the website, internet banking, mobile-app or any other mode. The card-issuer shall not insist on sending a closure request through post or any other means which may result in the delay of receipt of the request. Failure on the part of the card-issuers to complete the process of closure within seven working days shall result in a penalty of ₹500 per day of delay payable to the customer, till the closure of the account provided there is no outstanding in the account.

As per it, they should have honoured the first/original closure request raised by you within 7 working days, after that they owe you penal money as per RBI.

Since you referred in the first post the ticket has been open for 2 weeks, I am doing a rough calculation of Rs.500*6 (excluding holidays) = Rs.3000.

Members, please correct me if I am wrong, if I am right, you deserve this, get it, and set a precedent for those b*tards.

sjmajumder

TF Ace
As per Master Direction – Credit Card and Debit Card – Issuance and Conduct Directions, 2022 - the authoritative document on the matter states:
(a) Any request for closure of a credit card shall be honoured within seven working days by the credit card-issuer, subject to payment of all dues by the cardholder. Subsequent to the closure of credit card, the cardholder shall be immediately notified about the closure through email, SMS, etc. Cardholders shall be provided option to submit request for closure of credit card account through multiple channels such as helpline, dedicated e-mail-id, Interactive Voice Response (IVR), prominently visible link on the website, internet banking, mobile-app or any other mode. The card-issuer shall not insist on sending a closure request through post or any other means which may result in the delay of receipt of the request. Failure on the part of the card-issuers to complete the process of closure within seven working days shall result in a penalty of ₹500 per day of delay payable to the customer, till the closure of the account provided there is no outstanding in the account.

As per it, they should have honoured the first/original closure request raised by you within 7 working days, after that they owe you penal money as per RBI.

Since you referred in the first post the ticket has been open for 2 weeks, I am doing a rough calculation of Rs.500*6 (excluding holidays) = Rs.3000.

Members, please correct me if I am wrong, if I am right, you deserve this, get it, and set a precedent for those b*tards.

If only I had known this earlier, I would not have complained to Ombudsman so quickly. Would have waited for 30 days at least.

sjmajumder

TF Ace

Unfortunately this is not working out. After raising ticket for closure, on 19th I realized I had 5200 points which I immediately redeemed for cash. 5000 points for Rs. 500 and then used the card to buy an Amazon GV of Rs. 500. So, technically they can consider 19th as the payment of dues date and today is exactly 7 working days from 19th.

Yugi

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
If only I had known this earlier, I would not have complained to Ombudsman so quickly. Would have waited for 30 days at least.
It is not as simple as it seems, you will have to prove your initial card closure date, they will bring up some terms and conditions that there were dues still pending. It will lot of back and forth and waste of your time, not worth the effort.

xfactcc

TF Premier
30 days waiting period is only applicable if you do not receive any response from grievance redressal escalations, or dissatisfied by the response, whichever is earlier.

xfactcc

TF Premier
It is not as simple as it seems, you will have to prove your initial card closure date, they will bring up some terms and conditions that there were dues still pending. It will lot of back and forth and waste of your time, not worth the effort.
Not really, if the dues are pending then it is quite an obvious reason not to close that is generally intimated.

xfactcc

TF Premier
Unfortunately this is not working out. After raising ticket for closure, on 19th I realized I had 5200 points which I immediately redeemed for cash. 5000 points for Rs. 500 and then used the card to buy an Amazon GV of Rs. 500. So, technically they can consider 19th as the payment of dues date and today is exactly 7 working days from 19th.
So as I understand you had 0 debt, you redeemed the points which gave you Rs. 500 additional balance over your credit limit which you utilised to purchase Amazon gv?

Yugi

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
So as I understand you had 0 debt, you redeemed the points which gave you Rs. 500 additional balance over your credit limit which you utilised to purchase Amazon gv?
Nope it becomes tricky here, cashbacks are reversible so technically you have to till billing date to establish there are no dues and all transactions are accounted for. If the payment is made and it is adjusted against all dues then it is zero due, but not with cashbacks.