• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

How credit utilisation works for charge cards

anirban.choudhury

TF Legend
TF Family
VIP Lounge
Good day

Last month I have taken a gold charge card, and Cibil showed 88% usage against my charge card.

I check with Amex , they said I have a shadow limit of about 8 lakhs , still my spend of 22k is showing as 88% utilisation in my Cibil report, somehow they are getting 25k as credit limit.

Anyone faced this issue with their charge cards ??

gurbina

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Good day

Last month I have taken a gold charge card, and Cibil showed 88% usage against my charge card.

I check with Amex , they said I have a shadow limit of about 8 lakhs , still my spend of 22k is showing as 88% utilisation in my Cibil report, somehow they are getting 25k as credit limit.

Charge cards don't report utilization ratio.
Do you only have a single card with ~30k limit? That's would be the "problem"

anirban.choudhury

TF Legend
TF Family
VIP Lounge
Above shared information from Official CIBIL website (anyone able to see below their credit summary after login).

Do not trust or use these third party apps, so not sure. One way we can confirm with people who having only HDFC or AMEX Charge Card or HDFC/AMEX Charge Card because they only can tell us and so that we can look why CIBIL official website showing that information.
I have Cibil official report as well, which shows the same thing

I have written a mail to Amex , let see what they say.

Also it looks like charge card do send a credit limit to Cibil

gurbina

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
This is a surprising thing to see, I think most of us have always had the impression they don't report a limit so it shouldn't count on the utilization ratio. After all it's a "charge card" aka "no limit card"

I've heard that instead of showing the actual CC limit sometimes the highest usage of the credit is what gets reported but I do not recall being this the case for charge cards.

Maybe someone else can clarify it, but as it stands seems like it's gonna be just for informational purposes!

Avishma1

TF Select
Charge cards are not 'no limit' cards, they have no pre-set spend limits and the purchasing power adjusts with the use of card, payments and various other factors.

Sanskar

TF Select
VIP Lounge
Good day

What I understand and what I have experienced is as you use card, your credit Limit will increase in CIBIL Report
For example next Month you spend 5L you will have Credit Limit on CIBIL Report 5L but Tricky part is Next to Next Month if you spend only 10K so still Your Limit on CIBIL is 5L.

Note
Please Check your self and then make any Conclusion.
And please inform me as well if you find out anything different.
I am open to hear your experience.

Chupaxabra

TF Select
1676749404630.png

Again confirmed with actual user data.

This person has only 2 cards:
- OneCard with limit 20,000
- HDFC where limit not showed in CIBIL = -

Current Balance OneCard = 0
Current Balance HDFC = 602 and
HDFC Highest reported = 1462 (if someone need it).

Utilization = 0% for the past 3 months where this person used only HDFC and not 1 rupee in OneCard.

So, as per CIBIL note, they're not considering non-reported accounts in Credit utilization.

If they consider, one month it supposed to be 25%, or here in this case it supposed to be 3% but all these months its still 0%. Even if they considered high utilization amount, in that case it should be 41% but still they mentioned 0% only.

So, I believe CIBIL official website information and rely on if they don't report a limit so it shouldn't count on the utilization ratio.
Thanks for confirming. This is exactly what I had speculated:

Post in thread 'HDFC not reporting credit limit to CIBIL' https://www.technofino.in/community...orting-credit-limit-to-cibil.1807/post-126136

Random123

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Thanks for the thread. Actually I am seeing 100% usage due to total credit limit being reported as 0. This is the first statement. Overall utilisation ratio is fine but not sure if this will have impact.
Can anyone please share their experience ? Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-21 at 12.28.08 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-21 at 12.28.08 AM.png
    32.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot 2023-09-21 at 12.28.14 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-21 at 12.28.14 AM.png
    18.9 KB · Views: 12

Random123

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Thanks, so Amex isn't reporting total credit for charge card right ? But I see others have atleast 25K reported in the total credit limit !

Basically wanted to do a transaction of 2.5L on this card but after reading this dropped the plan since was not sure of utilisation ratio. Please share your experience with cibil for high statement / high value transaction on amex charge cards.

helloworld

TF Legend
Thanks, so Amex isn't reporting total credit for charge card right ? But I see others have atleast 25K reported in the total credit limit !

Basically wanted to do a transaction of 2.5L on this card but after reading this dropped the plan since was not sure of utilisation ratio. Please share your experience with cibil for high statement / high value transaction on amex charge cards.

Some 'X' developer created an app called 'ABC' which provides free credit score without asking anything* from customer. Now, customer thought and believed that and Signup that app. *T&C apply.

Now, instead of showing basic report to make it as Unique that 'X' developer created a beautiful UI. Upon 'n' number of tries realized sometimes for some credit products not reported any value in CIBIL.

Now, 'X' developer has two ideas. 1: Ignore that and consider other credit products which messes up the UI when some customers don't have credit limit. So, 2: Put default 25K and consider that value along with others, which works fine for that UI. Atleast that 'ABC' thought since customers not paying anything for this beautiful UI, they won't mind about this.

Problem is: Customers seriously considering that.

Note: Just my views based on what CIBIL website showing in their webpage/app. No way to be 100% sure to know whether this unreported credit limit effecting any score computation or not. Based on family account with similar no-limit but high-usage based score above views shared. Again, not 100% sure except family account or my account case (that I can be sure), not others because individual options may vary. Follow at your own risk.