• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Help with planning a budget trip to Guwahati.

telescope

TF Ace
I will be going to Guwahati by flight in February first week. I spontaneously booked the flight without any planning. Primary purpose is visiting Kamakhya Temple.

Please help me plan a budget trip. Return flight/train is not booked yet, so I am a bit flexible with days.

1. What will be the cheapest option to go from airport to city center?
2. What to see in Guwahati? And approximate cost for the same.
3. Any specific good restaurants to try local food? Any specific food that I must try?
4. Any budget option to go to shillong? If yes please give me an itinerary for 2-3 days for shillong (budget=as cheap as possible)

Reactions: SSV

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
I will be going to Guwahati by flight in February first week. I spontaneously booked the flight without any planning. Primary purpose is visiting Kamakhya Temple.

Please help me plan a budget trip. Return flight/train is not booked yet, so I am a bit flexible with days.

3. Any specific good restaurants to try local food? Any specific food that I must try?
4. Any budget option to go to shillong? If yes please give me an itinerary for 2-3 days for shillong (budget=as cheap as possible)
+1, I am also interested in knowing more details about this trip.. as I am planning to go for this trip with a group of about 8 people.. in April...

Anyinput is great guys.. thanks..

For food options, first indicate whether you are vegetarian or non-vegetarian. Even as non-vegetarian whether you are ok with all or have restrictions.

Kamakshya temple is near Maligaon while the "city center" so to say would be towards Guwahati Station/Fancy Bazaar/Zoo Road area.
The Airport is roughly 30 KM from Guwahati station. If you are reaching airport in the morning and traveling light, you will get Govt AC bus service from Airport to Guwahati Station, ticket counter is opposite the baggage belts. You can also get cabs on sharing basis. Not much other option.
If you have time, make sure to visit Pobitora sanctuary in the outskirts of Guwahati. You will need to start by 4 am and can come back by 1-2 pm. It has the highest concentration of Rhinos in a single location.

Share cabs are available from Guwahati Station to Shillong.

Do remember that the sun rises very early and also sets very early in North East. And cabs in Guwahati mainly work on purely Cash payments.

Last edited:

Walter White

TF Legend
VIP Lounge

I visited there last year. Don't mix Shillong and Guwahati trips. You'll end up spending too much time in travel. Public transit is pathetic in NE.

Uber works fine in Guwahati. Local cuisine depends upon whether you prefer non-veg or not. Veg options will be limited.

telescope

TF Ace
For food options, first indicate whether you are vegetarian or non-vegetarian. Even as non-vegetarian whether you are ok with all or have restrictions.

Kamakshya temple is near Malegaon while the "city center" so to say would be towards Guwahati Station/Fancy Bazaar/Zoo Road area.
The Airport is roughly 30 KM from Guwahati station. If you are reaching airport in the morning and traveling light, you will get Govt AC bus service from Airport to Guwahati Station, ticket counter is opposite the baggage belts. You can also get cabs on sharing basis. Not much other option.
If you have time, make sure to visit Pobitora sanctuary in the outskirts of Guwahati. You will need to start by 4 am and can come back by 1-2 pm. It has the highest concentration of Rhinos in a single location.

Share cabs are available from Guwahati Station to Shillong.

Do remember that the sun rises very early and also sets very early in North East. And cabs in Guwahati mainly work on purely Cash payments.
I am non-vegetarian (limited to only chicken).

My flight will reach around 7:30pm. Will ac bus service available at that time?

Will it be better to take a hotel around Guwahati station area?

Also how much will be the cost for shared taxi from Guwahati to shillong? Any train available?

Also how far is shillong airport from city center? (in case I plan to return directly from shillong)

Bhaskar

TF Premier
Do check out Maa Manasha Hotel in Maligaon Pandu for good food at cheap price. It is on the way to kamakhya from Airport. Uber cab works well otherwise local autowalas may demand more. For If you have less luggage you can travel by city bus. They are very cheap. Some good hotels are near Lachit Nagar area, Dispur last gate, Sixmile etc. For streetside shopping you can visit Fancy Bazar.

telescope

TF Ace
I'll travel with one small backpack. No checkin luggage.

Is the bus service from airport to Guwahati station are frequent? And will it be available around 8pm?

Bhaskar

TF Premier

Also how much will be the cost for shared taxi from Guwahati to shillong? Any train available?

Also how far is shillong airport from city center? (in case I plan to return directly from shillong)
Take hotel near Maligaon area. It is cheaper than guwahati station (paltan bazar) area and also nearby kamakhya temple. Train not available to shillong. You will get shared taxi from paltan bazar near guwahati station area. Also city bus service easily available till 9pm because of winter. Otherwise during summer time you will get till 10pm. City bus operates from Jalukbari to city area.

Bus services are normally not available after 5 pm. So only cabs possible. Or you can stay at a hotel near the airport for the night and reach main city next day. For main stay, Staying near Guwahati Station/Paltan bazaar/Pan Bazaar/Fancy Bazaar would be better.
Shillong is up the hills and no train service exist. Shillong airport is not really in Shillong, avoid at all costs.
5 years back, Guwahati to Shillong by share cab used to cost 400. Not sure what the present cost would be.
Assam traditionally preferred Duck rather than Chicken. So make sure to have the Duck specialties.

Pankhuri

TF Ace
Don't book ola(or uber if that's available) there is a draconian rule that such taxis have to stop 1-2km from departure gate. They would be fine for your trip to airport though. If you decide to return by airport, do not trust any local taxi waalas, they are prone to ditching you at the last minute.
Apart from Kamakhya temple I don't remember many tourist attractions there. But I am not a religious person, I didn't even visit Kamakhya temple even once despite living there for 4 years. But there are many temples in and around guwahati that you can visit. There is one on an island, heard nice things about it too.

There is a restaurant there named Makhan Bhog, they serve the best cheese dosa hands down. I don't have any views on any other dish of this restaurant, even other dosas too. It's on GS road, many shopping brands there but nothing to go to Guwahati for.
Trains/buses/taxis are all available.

Weather would be nice in feb but be prepared for 4pm sunsets and 5pm sunrises. Would be quite a shock if you are someone from west. If you do have time though, I would suggest going to Tawang. There is usually a train from Guwahati for it. You can go to Cherapunji too, amazing place. Manas and kaziranga national parks are quite nice too. Bomdila is really great place to visit in AP. Also riding in a ferry on brahmputra is an experience of it's own, so do try that. Won't be as dangerous this time of the year.

Can't really talk about prices as it's been a while since I left that place.

Pankhuri

TF Ace
+1, I am also interested in knowing more details about this trip.. as I am planning to go for this trip with a group of about 8 people.. in April...

Anyinput is great guys.. thanks..
April start would be fine but by april 3rd week, weather starts to go bad. Heat and humidity.

Pankhuri

TF Ace
Also forgot to mention, no matter how much someone tells you, don't go to saraighat bridge just for the sake of it. You would be stuck in hour to 2 hour long traffic depending on the time of the day and it would not be at all worth it. If you need to cross Brahmaputra river for any reason, prefer ferry over bus.

telescope

TF Ace
Don't book ola(or uber if that's available) there is a draconian rule that such taxis have to stop 1-2km from departure gate. They would be fine for your trip to airport though. If you decide to return by airport, do not trust any local taxi waalas, they are prone to ditching you at the last minute.

Apart from Kamakhya temple I don't remember many tourist attractions there. But I am not a religious person, I didn't even visit Kamakhya temple even once despite living there for 4 years. But there are many temples in and around guwahati that you can visit. There is one on an island, heard nice things about it too.

There is a restaurant there named Makhan Bhog, they serve the best cheese dosa hands down. I don't have any views on any other dish of this restaurant, even other dosas too. It's on GS road, many shopping brands there but nothing to go to Guwahati for.

Trains/buses/taxis are all available.

Weather would be nice in feb but be prepared for 4pm sunsets and 5pm sunrises. Would be quite a shock if you are someone from west. If you do have time though, I would suggest going to Tawang. There is usually a train from Guwahati for it. You can go to Cherapunji too, amazing place. Manas and kaziranga national parks are quite nice too. Bomdila is really great place to visit in AP. Also riding in a ferry on brahmputra is an experience of it's own, so do try that. Won't be as dangerous this time of the year.

Can't really talk about prices as it's been a while since I left that place.
Thanks for your valuable inputs.
So are you recommending bus from airport instead of old Uber?

Makhan bhog noted.

Sunset at 4pm? Had no idea about this.

Pankhuri

TF Ace
Thanks for your valuable inputs.
So are you recommending bus from airport instead of old Uber?

Makhan bhog noted.

Sunset at 4pm? Had no idea about this.
When I was there, there was no bus service. I was recommending shared taxis from airport. But if the bus is available, can use that too.