• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Guwahati to Meghalaya trip planning

jetesh

TF Premier
dont have any ...
planning near temple .. easily accessible..
everything in planning stage ,
we fly from hyderabad
Stays near Temple are very crowded, especially Pan Bazaar, Fancy Bazaar, and Paltan Bazaar. My personal preferences localities are Six Miles, GS Road, Beltola, or Khanapara.

See for Mandir. I would suggest you wake up early in the morning and try to reach there by 6–6:30 a.m.

Remember : During Ambubachi Mela 2024, the Kamakhya Temple will be closed from June 22 to June 24, 2024. The gates of the temple will open for public on June 25, 2024.

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Stays near Temple are very crowded, especially Pan Bazaar, Fancy Bazaar, and Paltan Bazaar. My personal preferences localities are Six Miles, GS Road, Beltola, or Khanapara.

See for Mandir. I would suggest you wake up early in the morning and try to reach there by 6–6:30 a.m.

Remember : During Ambubachi Mela 2024, the Kamakhya Temple will be closed from June 22 to June 24, 2024. The gates of the temple will open for public on June 25, 2024.
yes , thats why we are going in the firs week of July ...
Thanks we will catch up in DM later ... if you dont mind...

bhavyegoel

TF Premier
TF Family
Chief Editor
Sr Moderator
@bhavyegoel : Thanks for this suggestion, I had initially thought of this option - but then restrained as the places/roads will be new with no idea on regulations (like permits required for some places, or so). Is this option recommended for someone visiting Meghalaya for the first time?
Meghalaya has rolling hills instead of steep hills like we have in North India so not much of a difficult task to drive. I have covered Meghalaya extensively using self-drive vehicle. If you need a travelogue then I can create one.

R@J

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Meghalaya has rolling hills instead of steep hills like we have in North India so not much of a difficult task to drive. I have covered Meghalaya extensively using self-drive vehicle. If you need a travelogue then I can create one.
Thanks a lot @bhavyegoel. Considering how beautifully explained your CC reviews are, would love to read your travelogue on exploring Meghalaya!
PS - Travelling in the next week :)

Hisoka

TF Ace
Hi All,

Any inputs and a good cab/taxi service provider reference for a Guwahati - Meghalaya trip!

Thanks in advance!
You can take bus from Guwahati Airport to Paltan Bazaar (100rs), from there you can catch a Sumo to Shillong (300rs)
This would be the cheapest option

You can also take a cab (2000rs) if you're travelling in a group.

I recently went to Meghalaya last year, let me know if you need any good offbeat suggestions!

Reactions: R@J

R@J

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
You can take bus from Guwahati Airport to Paltan Bazaar (100rs), from there you can catch a Sumo to Shillong (300rs)
This would be the cheapest option

You can also take a cab (2000rs) if you're travelling in a group.

I recently went to Meghalaya last year, let me know if you need any good offbeat suggestions!
Thanks a lot @Hisoka for the info... Also, can you please share the suggestion pls :)

Hisoka

TF Ace
Thanks a lot @Hisoka for the info... Also, can you please share the suggestion pls :)
Sure

Must visit places
1. Bamboo trek (45km from Shillong, take scooty as public transport not available here)
2. Phe Phe falls (75km from Shillong, take cab to Jowai)
3. Rainbow falls (continue straight from Double decker root bridge, around 1hr hike)

Places which almost no tourists (extreme offbeat)
1. Mawphanlur (65km from Shillong, take cab to Nongstoin, comes midway)
2. Kongthong (50km from Shillong, take your own transport)

Places you can skip
1. Dawki (Roads are terrible from Shillong, river not clean in rainy season, very touristy)
2. Elephant falls (crowded, not worth it)

Other places which I wasn’t able to go but have heard a lot
1. Mawlyngbna (has lot of water sports activities and a split rock trail)
2. Sacred forest
3. David Scott trail
4. Wei Sawdong falls (In Cherrapunji, it was closed back in my time, pls confirm from locals if it’s resumed again)

• Love
Reactions: R@J