• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Google signs MoU with NPCI to expand UPI Globally: Key things you will be able to use UPI for when travelling abroad

Abhishek012

TF Pioneer
Google signs MoU with NPCI to expand UPI Globally: Key things you will be able to use UPI for when travelling abroad:

The outlined objectives intend to help accelerate UPI's global acceptance, providing foreign merchants access to Indian customers who will no longer have to rely only on foreign currency and/or, credit or forex cards for making digital payments and will have the option using UPI powered apps from India including Google Pay.

Google India Digital Services (P) Limited and NPCI International Payments Ltd (NIPL), a wholly-owned subsidiary of the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to expand the impact of UPI to countries beyond India.

The MoU signed between Google India and NPCI has three key objectives: First, it seeks to broaden the use of UPI payments for travelers outside of India, enabling them to conveniently make transactions abroad.

Second, the MoU signed aims to assist in establishing UPI-like digital payment systems in other countries, providing a model for seamless financial transactions. Lastly, it focuses on easing the process of remittances between countries by utilizing the UPI infrastructure, thereby simplifying cross-border financial exchanges.

The outlined objectives intend to help accelerate UPI's global acceptance, providing foreign merchants access to Indian customers who will no longer have to rely only on foreign currency and/or, credit or forex cards for making digital payments and will have the option using UPI powered apps from India including Google Pay. This is in alignment with NPCI’s endeavor of bolstering India’s position in the global digital payment landscape. Moreover, the MoU also aims to significantly contribute to simplifying remittances by reducing dependence on conventional money transfer channels.

Deeksha Kaushal, Director, Partnerships, Google Pay India, said, “We are delighted to support NIPL towards expanding the reach of UPI to international markets. Google Pay has been a proud and willing collaborator to NPCI and the financial ecosystem, under the regulator’s guidance, and this collaboration is another step towards our commitment to making payments simple, safe and convenient. UPI has demonstrated to the world the step change that happens in economies with the introduction of interoperable, population scale digital infrastructure and each economy that joins such networks will create impact beyond the sum of parts. We are very excited about the scope of this collaboration.”

Ritesh Shukla, CEO, NPCI International Payments Limited (NIPL), said, “We are pleased to team up with Google Pay to propel UPI onto the global stage. This strategic partnership will not only simplify foreign transactions for Indian travelers but will also allow us to extend our knowledge and expertise of operating a successful digital payments ecosystem to other countries. We are also excited about enabling a seamless and more connected international remittance network by further expanding UPI’s cross-border interoperability feature. With the success of UPI in a dynamic market like India we are excited to further our vision to transform the digital payments landscape globally.

The global expansion of UPI represents step in international commerce, enabling a seamless, secure, and cost-effective payment experience for both merchants and customers worldwide.

z1xxuqvoi

TF Buzz
So is it going to be GPay only or will it work with other UPI apps like Bhim, PayTM, PhonePe? May be later, but looks GPay will have this first mover advantage. Great win for GPay I guess.

coolguy1

TF Ace
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Google and NPCI together could be a really deadly combo!

Great tech, Indian govt support and now the biggest tech company in the world! 😁

z1xxuqvoi

TF Buzz
Has anyone tried Tap n Pay thru NFC using India issued CCs/Debit card overseas?
If that works, not sure what other innovation needed for this scenario.

Abhishek012

TF Pioneer
So is it going to be GPay only or will it work with other UPI apps like Bhim, PayTM, PhonePe? May be later, but looks GPay will have this first mover advantage. Great win for GPay I guess.
BHIM, Phonepe already live on UPI International. Paytm will soon live.

You will get the activate option on your UPI app setting or profit section to enabled UPI Global/UPI International.

Tieup with GPay will help to expand other countries to adopt UPI.

For example - when "UPI Nepal" will live. GooglePay Nepal app will allow Nepal citizens to link all Nepal's banks to GPay Nepal UPI app.

#aniket

TF Ace
BHIM, Phonepe already live on UPI International. Paytm will soon live.

You will get the activate option on your UPI app setting or profit section to enabled UPI Global/UPI International.

Tieup with GPay will help to expand other countries to adopt UPI.

For example - when "UPI Nepal" will live. GooglePay Nepal app will allow Nepal citizens to link all Nepal's banks to GPay Nepal UPI app.
@Abhishek012 Gpay Nepal app really, elaborate more about this?

As per my knowledge there are some commercial banks, and others including IPS , Fonepay and Esewa initially for UPI Nepal.

Citizens of Nepal can add all their bank accounts on IPS itself, this feature was already launched by NCHL ( Nepal Clearing House, a payment system operator public co. which was established on 23rd December, 2008 under the leadership and guidance of Nepal Rastra Bank & has equity participation from Nepal Rastra Bank, commercial banks, development banks and finance companies) many years ago.

As per latest news COO of NCHL, Nepal is technically ready. But the Indian banks are still in the process of completing the technical work on their part.

In the first phase person-to-person (P2P) bank transfer through mobile phones between the two countries will take place.

Abhishek012

TF Pioneer
@Abhishek012 Gpay Nepal app really, elaborate more about this?

As per my knowledge there are some commercial banks, and others including IPS , Fonepay and Esewa initially for UPI Nepal.

Citizens of Nepal can add all their bank accounts on IPS itself, this feature was already launched by NCHL ( Nepal Clearing House, a payment system operator public co. which was established on 23rd December, 2008 under the leadership and guidance of Nepal Rastra Bank & has equity participation from Nepal Rastra Bank, commercial banks, development banks and finance companies) many years ago.

As per latest news COO of NCHL, Nepal is technically ready. But the Indian banks are still in the process of completing the technical work on their part.

In the first phase person-to-person (P2P) bank transfer through mobile phones between the two countries will take place.
Gateway Payment Service Pvt. Ltd got license from NPCI International to deploy UPI in Nepal.

Gateway Payment Service Pvt. Ltd, a Payment System Operator licensed by Nepal Rastra Bank.

I already shared here some details -

All details about "UPI NEPAL" | NEPAL Banks Partnership -

Abhishek012

TF Pioneer
Gateway Payment Service Pvt. Ltd got license from NPCI International to deploy UPI in Nepal.

Gateway Payment Service Pvt. Ltd, a Payment System Operator licensed by Nepal Rastra Bank.

Also read here official website of UPI Nepal - https://gatewaypayment.com.np/upinepal

@#aniket

#aniket

TF Ace

@Abhishek012 I knew about Gateway Payment Service Pvt. Ltd but later the MoU was signed by NCHL and mostly NCHL is taking care in Nepal after the signing of official MoU, when Prachanda visited India.

Before the work was carried on by Gateway...

Also what about Google Pay Nepal you're referring earlier through an example?

#aniket

TF Ace

View here 😅

Attachments

• IMG-20240106-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20240106-WA0000.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 4

Abhishek012

TF Pioneer
@Abhishek012 I knew about Gateway Payment Service Pvt. Ltd but later the MoU was signed by NCHL and mostly NCHL is taking care in Nepal after the signing of official MoU, when Prachanda visited India.

Before the work was carried on by Gateway...

Also what about Google Pay Nepal you're referring earlier through an example?
Are you from Nepal ?

Ya, There are many MoUs signed between India and Nepal,

Here i also shared

Fonepay and NPCI Ready for Nepal-India Cross-Border UPI QR Payment -​

I was telling that when UPI Nepal will go live in Nepal.

There is a possibility that GooglePay Nepal app will tie up with Gateway Payment Service Pvt. Ltd and Nepal banks to launch UPI in Nepal.

UPI is interoperable system. Any apps can launch UPI tieup with local banks and Payment System Operator.

#aniket

TF Ace
Where did you get this screenshot ?
Indian Banks are delaying, Nepal is all set to launch, it is expected that the launch will take place on Feb end- March, let's see what will happen.

Screenshot was taken from one of the NCHL app, i.e, Connect IPS.

Last edited:

#aniket

TF Ace
Are you from Nepal ?

Ya, There are many MoUs signed between India and Nepal,

Here i also shared

Fonepay and NPCI Ready for Nepal-India Cross-Border UPI QR Payment -​

I was telling that when UPI Nepal will go live in Nepal.

There is a possibility that GooglePay Nepal app will tie up with Gateway Payment Service Pvt. Ltd and Nepal banks to launch UPI in Nepal.

UPI is interoperable system. Any apps can launch UPI tieup with local banks and Payment System Operator.
My name is Aniket which means I am homeless, in other words I have no any particular home, be it India, Nepal, Pak or whatever, whole world is my home.

I do have relation with Nepal also, tbh. 😅

#aniket

TF Ace
View here 😅
@Abhishek012 VPA with mobile number will be risky with the viewpoint of Privacy, there should be option to put letter & number or any other number but must be unique.

What's your take?

It would be chargeable or free?

I think chargeable in Nepal coz P2P within Nepal is also chargeable so it's obvious that P2P with cross border will also be the sameb ut no idea in the case of India, haven't heard news from the part of India. Do you have any idea regarding this?

AnungUnRama

TF Select
Google signs MoU with NPCI to expand UPI Globally: Key things you will be able to use UPI for when travelling abroad:

The outlined objectives intend to help accelerate UPI's global acceptance, providing foreign merchants access to Indian customers who will no longer have to rely only on foreign currency and/or, credit or forex cards for making digital payments and will have the option using UPI powered apps from India including Google Pay.

Google India Digital Services (P) Limited and NPCI International Payments Ltd (NIPL), a wholly-owned subsidiary of the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to expand the impact of UPI to countries beyond India.

The MoU signed between Google India and NPCI has three key objectives: First, it seeks to broaden the use of UPI payments for travelers outside of India, enabling them to conveniently make transactions abroad.

Second, the MoU signed aims to assist in establishing UPI-like digital payment systems in other countries, providing a model for seamless financial transactions. Lastly, it focuses on easing the process of remittances between countries by utilizing the UPI infrastructure, thereby simplifying cross-border financial exchanges.

The outlined objectives intend to help accelerate UPI's global acceptance, providing foreign merchants access to Indian customers who will no longer have to rely only on foreign currency and/or, credit or forex cards for making digital payments and will have the option using UPI powered apps from India including Google Pay. This is in alignment with NPCI’s endeavor of bolstering India’s position in the global digital payment landscape. Moreover, the MoU also aims to significantly contribute to simplifying remittances by reducing dependence on conventional money transfer channels.

Deeksha Kaushal, Director, Partnerships, Google Pay India, said, “We are delighted to support NIPL towards expanding the reach of UPI to international markets. Google Pay has been a proud and willing collaborator to NPCI and the financial ecosystem, under the regulator’s guidance, and this collaboration is another step towards our commitment to making payments simple, safe and convenient. UPI has demonstrated to the world the step change that happens in economies with the introduction of interoperable, population scale digital infrastructure and each economy that joins such networks will create impact beyond the sum of parts. We are very excited about the scope of this collaboration.”

Ritesh Shukla, CEO, NPCI International Payments Limited (NIPL), said, “We are pleased to team up with Google Pay to propel UPI onto the global stage. This strategic partnership will not only simplify foreign transactions for Indian travelers but will also allow us to extend our knowledge and expertise of operating a successful digital payments ecosystem to other countries. We are also excited about enabling a seamless and more connected international remittance network by further expanding UPI’s cross-border interoperability feature. With the success of UPI in a dynamic market like India we are excited to further our vision to transform the digital payments landscape globally.

The global expansion of UPI represents step in international commerce, enabling a seamless, secure, and cost-effective payment experience for both merchants and customers worldwide.
The tech stack looks amazing on paper, hope it delivers when implemented.

Abhishek012

TF Pioneer
@Abhishek012 VPA with mobile number will be risky with the viewpoint of Privacy, there should be option to put letter & number or any other number but must be unique.

What's your take?

It would be chargeable or free?

I think chargeable in Nepal coz P2P within Nepal is also chargeable so it's obvious that P2P with cross border will also be the sameb ut no idea in the case of India, haven't heard news from the part of India. Do you have any idea regarding this?
You can create any name or number on your VPA (virtual payment address), by default all banks, UPI apps create your VPA address - <yourmobilenumber>@<bankname>

You can delete or create any other VPA address (for example "abcdefgh@<bankname>") and share with your friends, family or anyone.

In India, UPI P2P is Free for domestic transaction but Cross border will charge some fee but less charges because here US dollar is not involve.

Transactions here will be in local currency - "Indian Rupee(INR)-Nepalese Rupee (NPR)"

If I talk about UPI Nepal P2P domestic transaction fees then it will be decided by Nepal government, Nepal Central bank (Nepal Rastra Bank) and Gateway Payment Service Pvt. Ltd.

Cross-border transaction fees and exchange rate will be mutually decided by the central banks of both countries and the payment system operators.

Most of the time it happens that the charges and exchange rates remains high for first 5 years because it's just for testing.

if everything goes well, all systems operator properly then they will lower the fees and rearrange the exchange rates etc.