• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Free One Year Amazon Prime Subscription with IDFC First Select Banking Program 😎

TF Ace
TF Family
You guys have too much money to put in a Private Bank.
If you are fascinated for Amazon prime then just get Jio Postpaid connection with as low as 399/Month & get an Amazon prime for 1 year along with Disney Hotstar. You will get the same treatment from all the banks irrespective of your relationship, i.e Savings Bank Account/Credit Card.

Don't take it personally, my own thought is always put all your money to Government Banks(SBI Only, not PNB or any other banks) & get Credit Cards always from Private Banks.

In short use services from Private Sectors, save money in Government.
Just think what happened with Yes Bank some days ago.
I would like to disagree with your opinion. Here's why:

SBI, HDFC, ICICI are too big to fail banks as per RBI. Link:

So, I wouldn't suggest anyone to park their life's savings in one bank (be it SBI). It's better to distribute it in a way you are at least risk. Private banks offer much more value for your money compared to public sector banks. But I would also like to add that not all private banks are worth going for!

prc1990

TF Ace

So, I wouldn't suggest anyone to park their life's savings in one bank (be it SBI). It's better to distribute it in a way you are at least risk. Private banks offer much more value for your money compared to public sector banks. But I would also like to add that not all private banks are worth going for!
Diversification always works except for relationships 🥲.

souvikdey2002

TF Ace
VIP Lounge

Very complicated topic to be discussed in text!!
Will discuss some day over voice.

AllSeeker

TF Ace
I had invested in yesbank I think back in some 2015-16 time (It was my first ever stock bought in my long trading journey), doubled my money and got out in year or so (timelines bit fuzzy). Fyi, 400 top is adjusted price, Yes bank has seen four digits.

Also, had my money in Indusind as well (Had good return on it too when I squared off), at similar timeline, only time I was in red is when brexit voting was done and it went in favor of it.

Last edited:

Souvik

TF Premier
You guys have too much money to put in a Private Bank.
If you are fascinated for Amazon prime then just get Jio Postpaid connection with as low as 399/Month & get an Amazon prime for 1 year along with Disney Hotstar. You will get the same treatment from all the banks irrespective of your relationship, i.e Savings Bank Account/Credit Card.

Don't take it personally, my own thought is always put all your money to Government Banks(SBI Only, not PNB or any other banks) & get Credit Cards always from Private Banks.

In short use services from Private Sectors, save money in Government.
Just think what happened with Yes Bank some days ago.
The Jio postpaid one may not be a good idea,as I spend much less on a 84 day prepaid recharge.

I beg to differ on the point that you will get same treatment in all banks even if you compare between Private and Public sector banks.

Private banks may be riskier than Public ones I agree but you may not get good service if you walk into a SBI. Hence the shift to Private along with better interest rate and offers.

Though I never had to opt for a loan but people like public sector banks for loans i know.

If I am looking for a low risk or close to zero risk scenario with ample liquidity/ no lock in...then bank FD's are the only option right now. I do not see any other valid option here.

Considering default or liquidity risk, Yes bank was somehow saved i agree, so was UTI sometime back, same for Lehman & Bear Sterns and it's because of me and your that's taxpayers money infusion that SBI is surviving now.

Risk mitigation wise it's better to have 5L per account covered by law and probably park more money in banks with good balance sheet.

AllSeeker

TF Ace
Only thing one should actively avoid is co-op banks and small local people run "pathpedis", they are one step away from robbing you.

I say this but I sometimes still do FD in my local banks, it gives better returns. But amounts are very small.

So, this is one of those issues where losing too much sleep over it is not worth it, just keep low amounts in high risk banks or w/e you fancy.

TF Ace
TF Family
Only thing one should actively avoid is co-op banks and small local people run "pathpedis", they are one step away from robbing you.

I say this but I sometimes still do FD in my local banks, it gives better returns. But amounts are very small.

So, this is one of those issues where losing too much sleep over it is not worth it, just keep low amounts in high risk banks or w/e you fancy.
True af! Co-op banks keep failing time and again! 🤷‍♂️

Extrovert🌃

TF Select
The Jio postpaid one may not be a good idea,as I spend much less on a 84 day prepaid recharge.

I beg to differ on the point that you will get same treatment in all banks even if you compare between Private and Public sector banks.

Private banks may be riskier than Public ones I agree but you may not get good service if you walk into a SBI. Hence the shift to Private along with better interest rate and offers.

Though I never had to opt for a loan but people like public sector banks for loans i know.

If I am looking for a low risk or close to zero risk scenario with ample liquidity/ no lock in...then bank FD's are the only option right now. I do not see any other valid option here.

Considering default or liquidity risk, Yes bank was somehow saved i agree, so was UTI sometime back, same for Lehman & Bear Sterns and it's because of me and your that's taxpayers money infusion that SBI is surviving now.

Risk mitigation wise it's better to have 5L per account covered by law and probably park more money in banks with good balance sheet.
What do you mean by "it's better to have 5L per account covered by law"?