• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Fraudulent Union Bank reports keep on harming my Credit Rating for 7 years after closure of CC !!!

Trust Me

TF Ace
Believe it or not, until recently I have never checked my credit reports, secure in the belief that nothing could go wrong with my rating since I've never, ever, been delinquent with my loan repayments. Indeed, I have never been denied a loan or a credit card owing to my credit rating. Also my rating range as shown by some banks these days never indicated anything to worry about. How naïve I was!

A few days back, while checking my Credit Report for the first time, I noticed to my horror that my old Union Bank credit card which was closed way back in April 2016, is still being reported fraudulently by Union Bank to all the Credit Bureaus as being active (the 'Date Closed' is left blank), -- and that too as a non-secured card which it never was!

* On top of that it was reported for late/non payment for 5 consecutive months in 2021 -- five years after the credit card account was actually closed by me !!!

Here is the chronology of events:

* I opened an FD with Union Bank in April 2011. On my application, a credit card was issued to me against this FD by placing a lien on it.

* I closed the above credit card on or before the FD Maturity in April 2016. Consequently the lien against my FD was removed, so I was able to close it and transfer the money to my SB account.

* I was happy to have ended all my relationship with Union Bank by then closing my SB account too.

* I have never applied for, nor did I ever have, any unsecured credit card from Union Bank.

The Union Bank reports fail obvious consistency checks too:

Date of Last Payment: January 2014.

Date Reported and Certified: 25-04-2023.

Payments were reported to be 30 days past due for 5 consecutive months in 2021. Then it somehow recovered to 'no delay' each month till April 2023 even without any payments made (remember the last payment was made back in January 2014)!

It is amazing how the credit bureaus obviously think it's not their responsibility to check the incoming data for consistency before reporting them! Perhaps they think they should adapt to the very Indian way of doing things: regurgitate the input information without applying your mind to it! Nice!

Also, isn't it strange that a credit card that was apparently unused for almost 9.5 years (since December 2013) was still kept alive by the bank? And who were the apparently renewed card(s) mailed to, since I, the apparent card owner, never knew anything about them?! The bank did have my contact information in file!

Be that as it may, what can I do now to have this mess fixed ASAP? I don't have any relationship with Union Bank anymore, so who should I write to? It is such a blatant case of fraud, I do believe that the bank shouldn't be able to get away with just removal of the fradulent reporting. They must somehow be taken to task by the RBI too, but how? Thanks for any guidance.

D3V1L

TF Select
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Believe it or not, until recently I have never checked my credit reports, secure in the belief that nothing could go wrong with my rating since I've never, ever, been delinquent with my loan repayments. Indeed, I have never been denied a loan or a credit card owing to my credit rating. Also my rating range as shown by some banks these days never indicated anything to worry about. How naïve I was!

A few days back, while checking my Credit Report for the first time, I noticed to my horror that my old Union Bank credit card which was closed way back in April 2016, is still being reported fraudulently by Union Bank to all the Credit Bureaus as being active (the 'Date Closed' is left blank), -- and that too as a non-secured card which it never was!

* On top of that it was reported for late/non payment for 5 consecutive months in 2021 -- five years after the credit card account was actually closed by me !!!

Here is the chronology of events:

* I opened an FD with Union Bank in April 2011. On my application, a credit card was issued to me against this FD by placing a lien on it.

* I closed the above credit card on or before the FD Maturity in April 2016. Consequently the lien against my FD was removed, so I was able to close it and transfer the money to my SB account.

* I was happy to have ended all my relationship with Union Bank by then closing my SB account too.

* I have never applied for, nor did I ever have, any unsecured credit card from Union Bank.

The Union Bank reports fail obvious consistency checks too:

Date of Last Payment: January 2014.

Date Reported and Certified: 25-04-2023.

Payments were reported to be 30 days past due for 5 consecutive months in 2021. Then it somehow recovered to 'no delay' each month till April 2023 even without any payments made (remember the last payment was made back in January 2014)!

It is amazing how the credit bureaus obviously think it's not their responsibility to check the incoming data for consistency before reporting them! Perhaps they think they should adapt to the very Indian way of doing things: regurgitate the input information without applying your mind to it! Nice!

Also, isn't it strange that a credit card that was apparently unused for almost 9.5 years (since December 2013) was still kept alive by the bank? And who were the apparently renewed card(s) mailed to, since I, the apparent card owner, never knew anything about them?! The bank did have my contact information in file!

Be that as it may, what can I do now to have this mess fixed ASAP? I don't have any relationship with Union Bank anymore, so who should I write to? It is such a blatant case of fraud, I do believe that the bank shouldn't be able to get away with just removal of the fradulent reporting. They must somehow be taken to task by the RBI too, but how? Thanks for any guidance.
Please send reporting this to highest levels of union bank. And I am pretty sure they will not reply back coz I myself waiting for their revert from last 10days. wait For 15days at least for reply and Then if no luck then report to RBI ombudsman. The mail will work as a proof attachment while reporting this to RBI ombudsman. I have attached the mail ids I sent mail.

Attachments

• IMG_0067.jpeg
    IMG_0067.jpeg
    29.5 KB · Views: 49

Trust Me

TF Ace
Report error in credit report, it'll be fixed probably if bank co operates.

Also on other side, email Union Bank PNO or some equivalent department with latest credit report.
Do I need to write to write to Union Bank individually four times to rectify each credit bureau report?

Also, I couldn't find any downloadable pdf option at the CIBIL site! All it has is a 'Print Report' link that somehow messes up the output on printing! Any way out? Thanks.

Trust Me

TF Ace
Please send reporting this to highest levels of union bank. And I am pretty sure they will not reply back coz I myself waiting for their revert from last 10days. wait For 15days at least for reply and Then if no luck then report to RBI ombudsman. The mail will work as a proof attachment while reporting this to RBI ombudsman. I have attached the mail ids I sent mail.
Thanks for the addresses. Same questions as above to you too. I'm new to the site, -- couldn't find any option for multiple quotes, so had to post separately.

D₹V

TF Prestige
Use iMobile if you're ICICI user.
Do I need to write to write to Union Bank individually four times to rectify each credit bureau report?

Also, I couldn't find any downloadable pdf option at the CIBIL site! All it has is a 'Print Report' link that somehow messes up the output on printing! Any way out? Thanks.

Trust Me

TF Ace
Press report button on CIBIL site.

Then use inbuilt device print button.
I thought that's what I'd reported didn't work for me! Are you talking about the 'Print Report' button on CIBIL Report page? It opens the report in a readable-on-screen format, but on sending it to a printer or an .xps file it somehow messes up some of the pages!

I thought that's what I'd reported didn't work for me! Are you talking about the 'Print Report' button on CIBIL Report page? It opens the report in a readable-on-screen format, but on sending it to a printer or an .xps file it somehow messes up some of the pages!
If you are comfortable with using PaisaBazaar app, they allow downloading credit reports in PDF format. Although I checked on the app before commenting, currently their app has some issues to reports can't be downloaded at the moment. I am not sure if the bank will accept CIBIL report downloaded from a 3rd party app either. They may ask you to send report downloaded from CIBIL website.

Trust Me

TF Ace
If you are comfortable with using PaisaBazaar app, they allow downloading credit reports in PDF format. Although I checked on the app before commenting, currently their app has some issues to reports can't be downloaded at the moment. I am not sure if the bank will accept CIBIL report downloaded from a 3rd party app either. They may ask you to send report downloaded from CIBIL website.
Thanks for your response. No I'm not comfortable with using apps like PaisaBazaar and the like, -- I hear they come with assurance of LTF spam! And then there is the issue of the acceptability of reports obtained through them, like you said.

I've already raised dispute with CIBIL, and am planning to share their dispute number along with the CRN with Union Bank. I believe that should be enough. I'd also tell them that If they still don't agree to correct the fraudulent reports, I'd escalate it to the RBI ombudsman.

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge

If you are on windows 10/11, you can try this feature called ' Microsfot Print to PDF'.
What it essentially does is it saves this html page ( as you mentioned //It opens the report in a readable-on-screen format//) in PDF format. When I tried printing my report as PDF( not prin to printer) I got all the 19 pages that were shown in the readable format in to 19 pages PDF. No pages were missed. Then you can print that PDF if you want...

I am using Chrome browser on Windows 11..

As you said on the new window of chrome that has readable report , from browser select print and then this option should come if you have ' Microsfot Print to PDF' enabled...
1687023713222.png

if you don't see this option means ' Microsfot Print to PDF' feature is disabled..

To see if this option is available, you can check in 'Settings->Bluettoth and devices-> Printers & scanners ->
1687023935613.png

If you don't have this, then you can enable this option using this option below, found in this MS support link:

1687024036993.png

The above solution of enabling this feature looks like below:

1687024186080.png

Hope this helps.

All the best with your complaint with RBI Ombudsman and keep us updated.
Cheers

Trust Me

TF Ace
Thank you very much ssv for your detailed response. Unfortunately all 3 machines in my home are still on Windows 7, believe it or not. However, I'll keep your information in mind.

For now I'll just send Union Bank the CRN and CIBIL's dispute number (on CIBIL's advice). I'm hoping this should be sufficient (along with the threat of escalation to the RBI ombudsman). Let's see.

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Thank you very much ssv for your detailed response. Unfortunately all 3 machines in my home are still on Windows 7, believe it or not. However, I'll keep your information in mind.

For now I'll just send Union Bank the CRN and CIBIL's dispute number (on CIBIL's advice). I'm hoping this should be sufficient (along with the threat of escalation to the RBI ombudsman). Let's see.
You can try on WIndows 7 as well, I believe..
You can find a lot of options in this google serch page:

or try this:

Just for fun... and getting things done and learning a new thing.. doesn't hurt I believe..
All this when you have time to spare...

Last edited:

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Yes, you're right. I'll give it a try. But the Windows 'print to xps' option available on my machines didn't work! But I'll explore your suggestions. Thanks.
Print to xps is considered as an ancient technology now..Print to PDF works like a charm..It is a quite useful in our other daily tasks as well...Enjoy..have fun..

Trust Me

TF Ace
Doesn't 'print to pdf' just add one extra step of converting the already made postscript to pdf? Then it's not such a great leap from the good old 'print to xps' after all ! Anyway, I'll give it a try. Thanks again.