• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Facing issues with UPI number

dvader

TF Premier
Hi everyone,

I am facing a strange issue in that, every time I try to set my mobile number as a UPI number on any of my accounts on Gpay it just says "Couldn't set UPI number". I tried on other apps though the error is different but it fails. Please note that I was able to set it a month or two back until one day I noticed that the UPI number was unset in Google Apps (no idea how) and now I can't set it again. Any idea what might be happening?

Thanks in advance
dvader

itsreetj

TF Buzz
I am facing a similar issue. I had my UPI number setup on paytm. I deactivated there and activated on BHIM. As per rules, UPI number can be set on any one app but I tried on paytm and it linked there as well. I thought maybe some error so I removed from paytm and retried, this time it shows error "mapper not found at mapper id" instead of showing "upi number is already linked to xxxxxx@upi id on bhim, delink first to link on paytm". Then I opened Phonepe, UPI number created there as well, similarly on cred, gpay everywhere but now I can't delete the upi numbers there, it shows error. So I have UPI numbers on Phonepe, gpay, cred, Amazon pay. On BHIM I removed and reinstalled app, since then it's showing "consent not found from customer". Strange thing, I should have never enabled UPI number in the first place as I already have accounts in all the major upi apps. Just entering my mobile number in any app should automatically show my details.
I'm facing same issues do you have any solutions or updates yet??
I am facing the same issue. When it was first launched, I tried it on many UPI apps and kept switching the UPI number. After a while, it stopped working and all apps started showing that UPI number could not be set. Only in iMobile app, it showed error "MM#19". I tried reaching out to the helpline of Phonepe, paytm, ICICI and other banks, but none could resolve this issue.

After much research, I found that this pertains to UPI error code "Port_action_prohibited". So now, at least we know this is part of the UPI system.

Now, I dont know know who to approach to get this reversed. Any help would be appreciated!
Any update??

No Man still stuck with it. let me know if you find out something
Try this once.
Go to your Bank's App or net banking. Select your account properties/settings. Disable UPI for that primary account/number. Wait for 1 (or 2) EODs (end of day). Do nothing in these 2 days - on any other UPI Apps about this number.
Then enable it again for UPI Trxns. Generally, it should work.
Let us know the outcome.

asm07

TF Buzz
I'm facing same issues do you have any solutions or updates yet??

Any update??
Upi number system is heavily flawed I feel. Sometimes it lets us create upi number in multiple apps without disabling the previous one and then the problem starts. I heard someone was saying NPCI has some 6 months cool down period, then we can retry, I don't know.
Originally I had linked it to paytm then I tried BHIM but out of curiosity I checked Phonepe and it got linked there as well (both bhim and phonepe at same time). Then I tried cred, gpay etc. and everywhere it got linked but actually it wasn't getting linked anywhere. I could delete upi number from bhim, gpay, paytm but I couldn't create again there. On Phonepe, cred I couldn't even delete upi number. I asked bhim, paytm, phonepe and cred support. Paytm said that my upi number is linked to some other app but it wasn't. Even if it was linked to some other app, it'd show the upi id of that app before switching. Phonepe support is just passing generic response, bhim(npci) is yet to answer, they called me twice but couldn't solve it but they understand the issue. Cred seems to be understanding the issue as as well and they said they're raising the concern with NPCI.
Honestly, I don't have any issues as I have upi account in all the major apps so upi number was pretty useless for me. It's more useful for those who has 1 or 2 upi apps and others can easily send them money by UPI number. As I'm having no issues, I decided to ignore it.

Last edited:

Unknown12

TF Buzz
Did you delete your UPI after UPI number was generated from BOB app? It says VPA will be unavailable for 2 years.
First I have successful set my upi number in Bob upi. Then in paytm I tried to map my mobile number again and it has switched successfully from Bob upi to Paytm. Though I can still see my upi number in other banking apps. But anyhow I dont care about that because now my upi number is successfully set in Paytm. Then I just uninstalled Bob upi and other Upi apps without touching anything else. People are able to send money on my phone number and thats more than enough for me.