• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Ease of opening a BSBDA

I visited all the banks available in my city.
Asking to open a zero balance account (BSBDA). To my surprise except idfc first bank all other banks denied having a zero balance account. Only when I threatened them to give me in writing or I'll have to involve RBI in this then they said yes there is this account but we don't usually open that anymore.
ICICI being the worst they didn't agree to open the account even when I left the branch.
I know the BSBDA account has many restrictions but what banks are doing is wrong. If RBI has given a option then why are banks not forwarding it?

AlgoTrader

TF Ace
Asking to open a zero balance account (BSBDA). To my surprise except idfc first bank all other banks denied having a zero balance account. Only when I threatened them to give me in writing or I'll have to involve RBI in this then they said yes there is this account but we don't usually open that anymore.
ICICI being the worst they didn't agree to open the account even when I left the branch.
I know the BSBDA account has many restrictions but what banks are doing is wrong. If RBI has given a option then why are banks not forwarding it?
When BSBDA was launched first, my cousin went to icici bank and demanded to open BSBDA account there. After multiple refusals, they agreed when he said he will file a compliant . ICICI bank is shitty when it comes to these stuff

dvader

TF Premier
ICICI at least directly refused. Let me take you to a new low. My ancestral home comes in a rural region. In the last 5 years, a few private banks HDFC/SFBs/ICICI, etc opened in the region, and these banks have some MAB for rural regions 1000-5000. Now the region is basically farmers, small shop owners, daily wage workers, etc. These bastards deliberately open a regular account instead of BSBDA, knowing they would have to pay SMS charges and Non-Mantainance of MAB etc, etc.

Walter White

TF Legend
VIP Lounge
Public sector banks pe try karo. Waha zyada probability hai. Union Bank de deta hai easily. Nhi toh SBI branch jaake regular SA khol lo. Koi MAB nhi hai usme.

dvader

TF Premier
Open in India post bank
This, my local post office (SO) is awesome, the guy there is a nice man ready to help anyone in need. I asked him to get me an account too 😊, I have a BO (under same pin code as SO) near me which is almost empty will try someday. There are still farmers amd locals who actually transact at post office, I mean like a bank with passbook an all. Sometimes I go there to pickup some speedpost and end up filling deposit or withdrawal slips for old ladies and kids cashing out their scholarships. When I fill their slips in English, they feel so proud as If I am family. It's like I am in an episode of Malgudi days. I forget all the rukus and rush of metro cities...gives me sense of calm.

xfactcc

TF Premier
Most banks including some PSBs will even refuse to acknowledge existence of basic savings account. Tell them you know the RBI's guideline and threaten to complain, it usually should work. If they still don't budge, shoot a mail to their customer care highlighting 'denial of service'. In rare cases you may have to escalate to NO level, by then they usually fall into place and their tone changes and some may even act like you're opening a HNI account with them.

Question

IDFC First Bank Pratham account does this provide mobile banking and internet banking service. When agent was trying to open my account he failed to enable those services. debit card and other option was auto selected.
My account creation failed as aadhaar biometric was locked and i was unable to unlock it due to bad network at the branch.

dvader

TF Premier
Question

IDFC First Bank Pratham account does this provide mobile banking and internet banking service. When agent was trying to open my account he failed to enable those services. debit card and other option was auto selected.
My account creation failed as aadhaar biometric was locked and i was unable to unlock it due to bad network at the branch.
Yeah, Aadhaar portal is a pain in the A*#. I have been in the same scenario, I went to apply for an HNI account and had to return home cuz I wasn't able to login to Aadhaar portal. I have made it a habit to permanently unlock it a day before and lock it again after I am done with my task.

dvader

TF Premier
Get physical sbi dc, after that create virtual dc from yono, then block physical dc🤷
I tried getting virtual DC, but I got an error "This facility is currently not available for this account". Mine is a regular savings account. Let me know if anyone knows why is this happening. Branch guys don't even know what's a virtual DC so no help from the branch.

asahi

TF Premier
I asked almost every popular bank In India to let me open a BSBDA account, but everyone said there’s no such thing called BSBDA in our bank especially HDFC(I asked in different branches & cities) even idfc bank refused to give me a BSBDA account, Only PNB allowed me to convert my regular account to PMJDY acc.

varun__goel_

TF Legend
I tried getting virtual DC, but I got an error "This facility is currently not available for this account". Mine is a regular savings account. Let me know if anyone knows why is this happening. Branch guys don't even know what's a virtual DC so no help from the branch.
Do you have physical dc?