• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Does anyone else get a bit intimidated by extremely polite customer service personnel?

Copycat

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
I recently got an Amex card, and each time I call customer care, I find it a bit intimidating. The staff are so polite, I find it difficult to keep up to the level of politeness (hence the feeling of intimidation). I don't have have this problem with the customer care of any other banking/finance/ecommerce service provider. Does anyone else have the same problem?

Explanatory notes:
1) English is my mother-tongue (the only language I can communicate in relatively well)
2) For work purposes, I interact on a daily basis with the same set of people in a different country who say please and thank you for everything, multiple times during the day. So, I'm relatively fine with the whole ultra-politeness thing. But Amex CS take it to another level.
3) The gender of the Amex staff responding doesn't matter. They all behave the same way

What has been your experience?

Deleted member 9785

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
I recently got an Amex card, and each time I call customer care, I find it a bit intimidating. The staff are so polite, I find it difficult to keep up to the level of politeness (hence the feeling of intimidation). I don't have have this problem with the customer care of any other banking/finance/ecommerce service provider. Does anyone else have the same problem?

Explanatory notes:
1) English is my mother-tongue (the only language I can communicate in relatively well)
2) For work purposes, I interact on a daily basis with the same set of people in a different country who say please and thank you for everything, multiple times during the day. So, I'm relatively fine with the whole ultra-politeness thing. But Amex CS take it to another level.
3) The gender of the Amex staff responding doesn't matter. They all behave the same way

What has been your experience?
Politicians are also polite before voting

Copycat

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Unless its SBI you don't need to worry. Amex has really good CS.
Surprised by your English mother tongue. Are you from Nagaland or an anglo Indian?
Goan
I grew up speaking English rather than Konkani. Unfortunately, that resulted in my Konkani language skills being somewhat bad (I can understand and speak it when required but don't do so for fear of making mistakes)

Swastik

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
They're definitely most graceful and courteous of all the credit card customer care I've ever spoken with ,even their sales agent at DEL and BOM airport I've spoken with are like that

I don't find it intimidating, just refreshing to have this level of politeness

P.s. i didn't find lounge staff at centurion lounges at DEL and BOM to be so polite ,they're more rushing and to the point ,or maybe it's because i went during busy hours