• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

DCB Diners Club Black points redemption

redrabbit

TF Buzz
I am thinking of applying for Diners Club Black Card, but I had one doubt before applying for the card. From 2020, we have to pay 30% of the amount by Card and rest 70% can be paid by points.
So, my question is how are points adjusted. For example, if the flight is for 10000, then I have to pay 3000 right now and 7000 will be paid by points. But, do I earn points on whole of 10000, or just 3000?
In my IDFC card, the points are adjusted later. So, I have to pay 10000 today, and in 2 days, 7000 worth points are credited to my statement. That way I earn on whole 10000 and not on 3000.
Otherwise, in Diners Black, I'm losing out points worth 1166 while booking, which is a bad deal.

sourpai

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Why is that a bad deal? Point redemptions do not accrue points anywhere, even for flight and hotels, we don't get loyalty points for redemption tickets. IDFC example you gave is one off case and IDFC base reward rate itself is not that great (unless it is wealth variant used above 30K limit in a month). On DCB it is 3.3% regular and 5X accelerated for flight bookings

redrabbit

TF Buzz
Why is that a bad deal? Point redemptions do not accrue points anywhere, even for flight and hotels, we don't get loyalty points for redemption tickets. IDFC example you gave is one off case and IDFC base reward rate itself is not that great (unless it is wealth variant used above 30K limit in a month). On DCB it is 3.3% regular and 5X accelerated for flight bookings
All the 5x or 3x or 2x points that I earned extra, will be then equivalent to what I would get in SBI cashback card with 5% reward rate. And then I earn 5% on whole amount of flight ticket as well with SBI cashback card. If I get a ticket from skyscanner, I get it for 9000 (will get 5% cashback on this) and I have to pay 10720 on smartbuy, but I will get the 5x reward points for around 3000 only. Even the 5x rewards are nothing compared to what 5% can give you.
Financially, I think customers are better with cashback cards if there spends are within 5L.
I definitely agree that DCB is better for lifestyle experiences and loung access.

gurubhai

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
All the 5x or 3x or 2x points that I earned extra, will be then equivalent to what I would get in SBI cashback card with 5% reward rate. And then I earn 5% on whole amount of flight ticket as well with SBI cashback card. If I get a ticket from skyscanner, I get it for 9000 (will get 5% cashback on this) and I have to pay 10720 on smartbuy, but I will get the 5x reward points for around 3000 only. Even the 5x rewards are nothing compared to what 5% can give you.
Financially, I think customers are better with cashback cards if there spends are within 5L.
I definitely agree that DCB is better for lifestyle experiences and loung access.
Telling you, it depends from person to person.
The routes I travel, the flight rates are same when I get the cheapest from sky scanner or smartbuy..
Please don't post such harsh statements comparing 5x (16.67%) with 5% cb of SBI cashback card.
also afaik SBI cashback cc gives 5% on online transactions only not offline so 3.33 is still better than 1-2% offer.

pprakash11

TF Prestige
Also Now-a-days SBI Cashback has become nightmare, due to MCC issues @VISHESH_BANSAL clear trip flight txns are counted are utility and you'll get 0%. Not sure about other travel websites.

And fighting with SBI is another nightmare 🤣

aceventura

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
No able to ask a question, so asking here.
I am holding DCB.
Recently I saw a website called https://cashmypoint.com/ they are doing cash conversion at Rs 0.9 for 1 RP.
Has anyone used this before? Is this a scam?
How exactly do we transfer points? Just give them our credentials and they will book tickets or something? Maybe I am missing something.

But just looking at the site, with lorem ipsum in many places, and no clear walkthrough of the process, I would say it is a scam

unknowns

TF Neo
How exactly do we transfer points? Just give them our credentials and they will book tickets or something? Maybe I am missing something.

But just looking at the site, with lorem ipsum in many places, and no clear walkthrough of the process, I would say it is a scam
They are sharing the airmiles membership id, name, email. We need to transfer the points, and they are ready to the advance payment.
Wanted to check, will it link my smart buy account to that airmiles id, if I do the transfer once. As they have transferred Rs. 90 in advance as token to transfer 100 RP.

aceventura

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
They are sharing the airmiles membership id, name, email. We need to transfer the points, and they are ready to the advance payment.
Wanted to check, will it link my smart buy account to that airmiles id, if I do the transfer once. As they have transferred Rs. 90 in advance as token to transfer 100 RP.
Not sure, haven't done Airmiles conversion. But few things to keep in mind

1. Do transfer points only that you are ready to lose. Do not scale the amount of points in a single transaction over time.

2. Make sure there is no way for the other person to pull points from your account. It should always be push to Airmiles.

3. Do not share creds ever.

4. Do not use your primary bank account to get funds from them. Use a disposable or empty SB account such as Paytm to get the funds. Also do not transfer from this SB to your primary account. Just spend it directly from this account such as utilities or cc payments etc.

Do let us know if you do make the transaction and share your experience.

aceventura

TF Ace
VIP Lounge