• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Credit Card Debited even after wrong expiry

hemanthgkl1

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
I am using Diners Black Card with International transactions enabled. Yesterday, I tried making a payment of 750$ and deliberately entered wrong expiry date.

To my surprise, transaction went through and received payment receipt from the website.

Where as HDFC sent me an SMS that transaction is declined due to wrong expiry or CVV.

But in Email from HDFC, it says that it is passed.

Now, in bank unbilled transaction also, that transaction is reflecting. When I called hdfc bank support, they are saying that hdfc bank approved that transaction.

What to do in this case to get the credit back ? Any body experienced similar case.

Note: I already raised dispute

What exactly was your intention ?

You said that you DELIBERATELY entered wrong mm/dd. Why did you do that ?

Are you not aware that foreign trxns do not need any OTPs n those foriegn banks/merchants do not have your data with them - except HDFC no other bank will have your details.

The foriegn bank will only carry your trxn - in good faith - and with their charges - n send it to HDFC. At that time, since there is a mismatch, they will send you that email/SMS.

BUT, depending upon the relations - yours with HDFC and more importantly that foriegn bank's with HDFC - it gets paid.

After that, you raise a DISPUTE ? WHY ?

What was your intention ?

Have you read the terms n conditions of how to do use card abroad or for carrying out forex trxns ?

Without knowing the relevant rules, your dispute will stand no chance.

Even if HDFC is willing to reverse the trxn, they will debit you with 2 more charges - the first - foriegn banks charges and now - HDFC charges to raise a debit on that foriegn merchant/bank.

It is the cost of learning for you. Enjoy.

hemanthgkl1

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
@RAMESH BABU N

Since there is an interest from you in knowing my intentions and to clarify, there are no false intentions here. I am trying to apply coupon there. But I was not shown coupon option before entering payment details. It showed me coupon only after I enter payment details but by that time transaction was processed with out coupon discount and even after entering wrong expiry.

I am aware that transaction will be processed with out OTPs provided right card details, but the question here is not about OTPs. Even after entering wrong expiry, how come transaction passed. Hope you read my post properly.

Thank you for coming to a conclusion with out actually knowing any context. Good wishes to you.

I have studied your 1st post correctly.
And, replied correctly.
You did not read my reply correctly. Or, understood it correctly.

In the absence of your card's complete details with them, any foreign bank will process the trxn - coming from his merchant - in good faith - and carry the trxn to the card issuing bank HDFC. So, you can't find fault with the foriegn bank.

Whether intentional or otherwise, you have done something which is not expected nor correct in this context.

To avoid further bank charges, it would be better if you take up the matter direct with the beneficiary (the final receiver of these funds) and seek a refund by quoting the coupon details and informing him of the coupon option not showing at the time of payment. Most likely he would accept n issue you a refund.

imdjay

TF Ace
Contributor
VIP Lounge
I am using Diners Black Card with International transactions enabled. Yesterday, I tried making a payment of 750$ and deliberately entered wrong expiry date.

To my surprise, transaction went through and received payment receipt from the website.

Where as HDFC sent me an SMS that transaction is declined due to wrong expiry or CVV.

But in Email from HDFC, it says that it is passed.

Now, in bank unbilled transaction also, that transaction is reflecting. When I called hdfc bank support, they are saying that hdfc bank approved that transaction.

What to do in this case to get the credit back ? Any body experienced similar case.

Note: I already raised dispute
If you haven't previously used this card on the same website, and your card hasn't been tokenized before, the payment should fail through the standard process.
Since you've initiated the transaction, disputing or requesting a reversal from the bank is not an option. However, you can submit a service request, specifying that the transaction succeeded despite an incorrect expiry. Drawing from my experience with multiple payment gateway integrations, it's noteworthy that none of them overlook the expiry date. AND A DIGITAL TXN CANNOT BE CONSIDERED VALID IN GOOD FAITH if it bypasses essential security measures such as the expiry date.

hemanthgkl1

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
I have studied your 1st post correctly.
And, replied correctly.
You did not read my reply correctly. Or, understood it correctly.

In the absence of your card's complete details with them, any foreign bank will process the trxn - coming from his merchant - in good faith - and carry the trxn to the card issuing bank HDFC. So, you can't find fault with the foriegn bank.

Whether intentional or otherwise, you have done something which is not expected nor correct in this context.

To avoid further bank charges, it would be better if you take up the matter direct with the beneficiary (the final receiver of these funds) and seek a refund by quoting the coupon details and informing him of the coupon option not showing at the time of payment. Most likely he would accept n issue you a refund.
Thanks much for the detailed information. Understood now. Are there banks which process the transaction with out correct details. Like HDFC you mentioned.

Thanks much for the detailed information. Understood now. Are there banks which process the transaction with out correct details. Like HDFC you mentioned.
Again MIS-UNDERSTOOD.

I never said so. Read again. What I said was :

Only HDFC got all your (card) details. All validation is done at their end. Before they approve any trxns.

None of the foriegn banks have these details to process - before - payment is approved. So, they take the data (given by you) as valid data n approve it n send it to HDFC - with their charges loaded. It is HDFC which treats this trxn also exactly as they do any local trxn, validate n pay.