• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Court Directs ICICI Bank to Credit Reward Points for his Amazon Purchase and to pay Rs. 77K as Compensation.

Case:
In an interesting legal dispute, ICICI Bank was recently mandated to compensate a customer from Chennai who was denied reward points. Following the customer's fight, the bank awarded Rs 41,691 in reward points and an additional Rs 35,000 for service deficiency. This ruling underscores consumers' entitlement to seek compensation for subpar services.

Facts of the Case:
The dispute arose when D Sylvester Arokiaraj made a jewelry purchase worth Rs 8.89 lakh on Amazon using his ICICI credit card in March 2021. According to the online retailer's offer, Arokiaraj was entitled to receive 41,961 reward points, equivalent to Rs 41,961. However, these points were not reflected in his monthly bank statement.

Despite Arokiaraj's repeated complaints, ICICI Bank failed to provide a satisfactory explanation. Two weeks later, his credit card was unexpectedly blocked without prior notice. Arokiaraj then filed a petition with the District (Kancheepuram) Consumer Disputes Grievance Redressal Commission, asserting that the transaction was purely for personal use and did not result in any outstanding payment default.

In response to the petition, ICICI Bank informed Arokiaraj that the card was blocked and reward points were withheld because the purchase was categorized as 'business or commercial' use. The bank contended that gold purchases on Amazon were not eligible for rewards. However, Arokiaraj argued before the commission that the transaction was indeed for personal use and did not violate any terms.

Decision of the Court:
After the bank's lack of response to subsequent complaints and failure to appear before the commission, the commission decided to address Arokiaraj's complaint and ordered ICICI Bank to compensate him for the denied reward points and the inconvenience caused. In total, the bank was directed to pay Rs 76,691 as compensation.
Very gud icici realy needs this treatment

shrewdoc

TF Ace
Can any one explain why icici is giving 1 reward point per 200 for online transaction made on Amazon/reliance/Myntra... Card is platinum/coral and expected reward point were 2 per 100.. @VISHESH_BANSAL @Dā‚¹V
Why would you be spending on ICICI cards and concerned about reward points? If you want cashback and such on online spends, get a SBI Cashback Card > HDFC Millenia Card

Combining ICICI and Rewards is a DEADLY ā˜ ļø combination šŸ˜€

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Can any one explain why icici is giving 1 reward point per 200 for online transaction made on Amazon/reliance/Myntra... Card is platinum/coral and expected reward point were 2 per 100.. @VISHESH_BANSAL @Dā‚¹V
We have an in-house expert @S S V šŸ¤­

I have a doubt .. What would you intend to do with this treasure of accumulated ICICI Rewards ( whether it is 1/2 per 100)..??
Please stop counting these rewards ..just enjoy ICICI instant discount offers...
For treasure counting please follow the advice of @shrewdoc among other cards..

In essence , the words ICICI and REWARDS makes no sense( = garbage) when put together...

aceventura

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
My friend was to receive 16k apay balance but received none and was informed that he wonā€™t review any more apay balance on future transactions.
Your friend bought something for 3.2L in Amazon with his card? If it is a personal use item, he should fight it. If he bought it for his business or reselling, then nothing can be done.

CosmicCat

TF Premier
Your friend bought something for 3.2L in Amazon with his card? If it is a personal use item, he should fight it. If he bought it for his business or reselling, then nothing can be done.
True. Reach out from Level 1 Customer Support to the PNO and fight until it's resolved. And if still unresolved, reach out to the RBI Ombudsman.

Last edited:

aceventura

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Now it makes me anxious. I got the ICICI Amazon Pay credit card in August, and this month, I've spent more than ā‚¹95K ā€” wherein I've made two big purchases of large appliances for personal use. And the total number of transactions are around 30+, mostly done on Amazon during the Great Indian Sale.

The total cashback amount I've calculated would come around ā‚¹4.2K. Now I'm anxious whether they would provide this cashback or not.
I have bought jewellery for 5L offline with Apay ICICI and got 5K cashback without any issues. Their magic number seems to be 8K or 10K beyond which they do these shenanigans. Also, if you use the card to buy multiple copies of the same item/category also, they classify it as business use.

Why would you be spending on ICICI cards and concerned about reward points? If you want cashback and such on online spends, get a SBI Cashback Card > HDFC Millenia Card

Combining ICICI and Rewards is a DEADLY ā˜ ļø combination šŸ˜€
Used the card for discount offers that was passed to the relative who asked to buy... Ab apna bacha reward point... Athanni ki baat thi 100 rupya pe... Chavnni milegi 200 pe to kaise hoga GujarašŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

I have a doubt .. What would you intend to do with this treasure of accumulated ICICI Rewards ( whether it is 1/2 per 100)..??
Please stop counting these rewards ..just enjoy ICICI instant discount offers...
For treasure counting please follow the advice of @shrewdoc among other cards..

In essence , the words ICICI and REWARDS makes no sense( = garbage) when put together...
Something is better than nothing and if out of that something some is kept šŸ˜¢