• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Could a person get a credit card in my name w/o my knowledge using my documents?

nangkong

TF Select
Yesterday, I clicked on a PNB Credit Card ad on Instagram and provided my contact details through the form that opened. The very next day, i.e., this morning, a person called me from a private number and told me that he was from PNB and that he was calling in connection with a recent PNB CC application of mine. He said that I would need to provide details of my Aadhar and PAN to complete my CC application. I believed him thinking that if he wasn’t from the bank there was no way he would know that I had recently applied. So I agreed to provide the details. Next, he said I would receive an SMS containing a link from the bank to do VKYC. I got the message but it was again from a private number. I didnt think much about it at the time because I wanted to complete it as soon as possible and get back to the work I was doing. So, I opened the link and we got on a Google Meet conference during which he asked me share my phone’s screen and take photos of myself, my aadhar and PAN card using my phone’s camera app. He also asked me to take a picture of one of my existing CCs to increase the chances of approval. I did that too.

It was only well after we had gotten off the google meet conference that it dawned on me that I might have been scammed. In all of the VKYCs that I have done so far, except for this one, I could see the bank rep’s faces. Moreover, I havent received any communication from PNB regarding my application even after many hours have passed.

So, what I'm thinking now is that the scammer could use my documents to apply for a PNB credit card, using his own phone number and have it delivered to his address. I wouldn't be aware of it, and so, wouldn’t act to block it. He would use the card until it reaches its limit and then discard it without paying the bill.

My question to you all is, if the guy was indeed a scammer, is there a real possibility of him getting a card issued to him using my documents? Why would PNB share a potential customer’s number with a person who isnt an employee? I had never applied for a PNB CC before and so I had never received a call from anyone before claiming to be a rep from PNB. If not from the bank where else would he get my number from?

UPDATE: I found out from the internet that Instagram maintains a record of the ads that a particular user have interacted with, and this record can be accessed through the app's settings. I checked that record and now that ad is gone from that list. All other ads I have ever clicked on, right from the first time I used Instagram, are there along with the dates.

Last edited:

helloworld

TF Legend
Possible there are false loans in one own CIBIL, after what you mentioned, its easy to take credit card infact from any bank with slight modifications.

Why would PNB share a potential customer’s number with a person who isnt an employee?

the ad you clicked on instagram might be fake. except sbi never saw any public bank making ads to apply cards.

keep an eye on your credit report and handy with bank and ombudsman emails.

Strange

TF Legend
Yesterday, I clicked on a PNB Credit Card ad on Instagram and provided my contact details through the form that opened. The very next day, i.e., this morning, a person called me from a private number and told me that he was from PNB and that he was calling in connection with a recent PNB CC application of mine. He said that I would need to provide details of my Aadhar and PAN to complete my CC application. I believed him thinking that if he wasn’t from the bank there was no way he would know that I had recently applied. So I agreed to provide the details. Next, he said I would receive an SMS containing a link from the bank to do VKYC. I got the message but it was again from a private number. I didnt think much about it at the time because I wanted to complete it as soon as possible and get back to the work I was doing. So, I opened the link and we got on a Google Meet conference during which he asked me share my phone’s screen and take photos of myself, my aadhar and PAN card using my phone’s camera app. He also asked me to take a picture of one of my existing CCs to increase the chances of approval. I did that too.

It was only well after we had gotten off the google meet conference that it dawned on me that I might have been scammed. In all of the VKYCs that I have done so far, except for this one, I could see the bank rep’s faces. Moreover, I havent received any communication from PNB regarding my application even after many hours have passed.

So, what I'm thinking now is that the scammer could use my documents to apply for a PNB credit card, using his own phone number and have it delivered to his address. I wouldn't be aware of it, and so, wouldn’t act to block it. He would use the card until it reaches its limit and then discard it without paying the bill.

My question to you all is, if the guy was indeed a scammer, is there a real possibility of him getting a card issued to him using my documents? Why would PNB share a potential customer’s number with a person who isnt an employee? I had never applied for a PNB CC before and so I had never received a call from anyone before claiming to be a rep from PNB. If not from the bank where else would he get my number from?
How many times have you undergone video KYC in your life? You didn't realize that no bank or financial institution conducts video KYC on Google Meet.

nangkong

TF Select
Are you sure you have provided your details on the PNB official website? I think you provided your details on a fishing website.
It may have indeed been a fishing website. I visited the PNB official website only after some hours passed from the time the VKYC was done when I thought that I should have received communication by then.

Strange

TF Legend

Register a complaint on cybercrime portal and in your nearest police station and pnb.

Yugi

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
First things first lock your Aadhaar Card. It should prevent any kind of authentication if they try to do it. Next send a mail to PNB mentioning your PAN and other details, that you were scammed and ask them to not issue any card on that PAN. PNB asks for ITR and salary slips for the application hope you havent provided it to the scammer.

Go file a FIR, it will help you later when things go wrong. It is ok, everyone makes mistakes in hurry, be careful from next time.

nangkong

TF Select
Possible there are false loans in one own CIBIL, after what you mentioned, its easy to take credit card infact from any bank with slight modifications.

the ad you clicked on instagram might be fake. except sbi never saw any public bank making ads to apply cards.

keep an eye on your credit report and handy with bank and ombudsman emails.
ok... but do you think any bank will give them loans just with my photo, aadhar, pan and cc photos?

Yugi

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
But still you did video kyc on Google meet to get scammed.
Sometimes people are not aware of how VKYCs work, they might think it is the process for this bank. The fact that it dawned to him after the call it might be scam, tell us that he became aware later point of time. People make mistakes all the time.

Riya

TF Ace

Vkyc on Google meet... That's strange...