• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Can We anyhow sell Airmiles??

chasni

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Please be patient. This is not a customer care portal where you can expect a quick response. Someone will reply if they know the answer to your query.

To you query, there are miles brokers who are involved in this but I have never used any so can't comment.

gurbina

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Nearly all loyalty programs have the same term and conditions.

Virtually all prohibit bartering or selling of points and miles.
Some even have special restrictions in place to avoid it, some airlines that will not take award bookings for anyone other than the account holder unless he has flown with them or immediate family members, others limit the number of nominees or restrict certain actions on bookings of anyone else other than the account holder.

If you're found to be breaking TnC they'll suspend you account and you'll forfeit all your miles. It has happened, and it still does happen.

Just use them for hotel stays, dining, car rentals, events and others. But the value of any redemption towards gift cards or other parties is usually very poor to a point that is considered wasteful.

Last edited:

manzb

TF Premier
But you can book tickets for someone.. it is cumbersome. Let's say someone is going to London and ready to buy a ticket for 50K. You can book him tickets and ask him to pay 40K or so. But very difficult to do such quid pro quo deals.

Harry1

TF Legend
VIP Lounge
Nearly all loyalty programs have the same term and conditions.

Virtually all prohibit bartering or selling of points and miles.
Some even have special restrictions in place to avoid it, some airlines that will not take award bookings for anyone other than the account holder unless he has flown with them or immediate family members, others limit the number of nominees or restrict certain actions on bookings of anyone else other than the account holder.

If you're found to be breaking TnC they'll suspend you account and you'll forfeit all your miles. It has happened, and it still does happen.

Just use them for hotel stays, dining, car rentals, events and others. But the value of any redemption towards gift cards or other parties is usually very poor to a point that is considered wasteful.
unless he has flown with them or immediate family members

Which have such restrictions more specifically from Magnus point? So far I have used only vistara points and it allows anyone to be added as nominee with 8 nominees per year limit.

gurbina

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
unless he has flown with them or immediate family members

Which have such restrictions more specifically from Magnus point? So far I have used only vistara points and it allows anyone to be added as nominee with 8 nominees per year limit.

Seems Vistara inherited the nominees system from Singapore Airlines to curb misuse.

Most carriers aren't usually an issue, however do mind selling/bartering is still forbidden.

There's hundreds of pages about this in FlyerTalk of people who have gotten their accounts suspended or miles forfeited.

Harry1

TF Legend
VIP Lounge

Seems Vistara inherited the nominees system from Singapore Airlines to curb misuse.

Most carriers aren't usually an issue, however do mind selling/bartering is still forbidden.

There's hundreds of pages about this in FlyerTalk of people who have gotten their accounts suspended or miles forfeited.
That link says about Turkish. But for Turkish, I heard they allow free miles transfer from one account to another account, which is even better. Is that not true?

gurbina

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I would like to go digging around for which programs but it isn't worth the time and effort for my use.

You might want to read this as it talks about people getting asked about their suspicious award tickets and others, as well a legitimate use of their miles/points for booking for others:

From the airlines partner list only for Turkish I read that they won't let you book for others if you have never flown TK. Which could be the case for forum members here trying to make a dime out of their points.

Vistara/Singapore seems to have this nominees system in place in order to prevent abuse. Even for business class and upgrade vouchers you must add them as nominees and you can only add/change nominees a few times a year.

The bottomline is don't sell your points.

Airlines have security measures that can flag suspicious activity and airline agents might enquire about bookings made in the name of third parties, I can vouch for this on AA and UA.

There's brokers online who will pay for your points/miles and for example they'll access your account, confirm the miles and do the booking on your behalf. Airlines has caught them due to the IP and the obvious redemption for a 3rd parties and suspended these accounts.

Airlines have also been known for lurking on places like eBay and some well known forums to look for people selling miles and vouchers. Either posing as seller or buyer.

Also they have flagged and reviewed accounts that are earning absurd number of miles/vouchers through promotions looking for people who are exploiting their rewards system and suspended their accounts.

Similar to banks they have systems that flag suspicious activities.

I doubt they will focus on the Indian market as to how people sell them or what they do with them as it is considerably harder to do so, but granted lots of people started using for example United due to the Magnus avalanche it will attract the airlines attention.

Don't abuse the system to book for third parties or you are likely to land in their radar. Even for legitimate redemptions they might come knocking and I doubt they'll take actions unless they see a misuse pattern. But be aware their loyalty programs is at their sole discretion, if they decide to suspend or remove all your points it's gonna be unilateral and usually final. Not much that you can do. It has been widely reported in related forums.

As for the other airlines I can't talk, you'll need to research on your own or experience it and let us know about it.

The same way banks here close loopholes or issues by lurking into this forum, or by the massive amount of people that drove people to exploit something, Iike the several wallet hacks we have seen or bugs in Gyftr. They'll notice the unexpected suspicious amount of people when it comes to particular offers, redemptions, etc and will investigate the same.

Last edited: