• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Call from 3rd party agent who knows my confidential details

ontherocks

TF Premier
I have been getting lots of spam calls for credit cards for years, but this one is different and very concerning.
This man has called from from different numbers for different pre-approved credit cards of different banks. I can recognize his voice and the way he talks.
Once he said that I have a pre-approved offer for LTF Standard Chartered EaseMyTrip Credit Card. He said there is will be no CIBIL hit and no documentation as its pre approved. He needs only my employer info and address confirmation. And more this and that. From his conversations on credit bureaus and credit cards and how they work, it looked like he had done his homework. He said I can take time to think and them call him back.
In next call he says I have a pre-approved offer for LTF Yes Bank BYOC Rupay Credit Card. I countered him immediately that Yes BYOC are not LTF. He says that its not LTF for Visa or Mastercard, but LTF for Rupay and I can google and confirm and only then call him back.
This is all regular mumbo jumbo.

Now the scary part.....
He tells my PAN number, my mobile number, name and address. I ask him how do you know all of these? He doesn't give a convincing answer. I then say that since you have all the details needed to apply for a credit card, are you going to apply on my behalf behind my back? He says, no he wants my approval and if that was the case he would have already applied on my behalf.

Now the point of this thread....
Obtaining my confidential info is not that hard, but is this enough to apply for credit cards behind my back without my approval? My guess is that he will get stuck at some point, where my OTP would be required.
Also my guess is, agent's commission depends on the number of CC applications he submits, and not on whether it is finally approved. So is this information enough for him to pass his commission step?

Last edited:

vinrey287

TF Premier
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Are you already having multiple cc? If you have HDFC then for sure your data will be available.. and if you recently applied then there is high chance to get similar calls.

Dharm

TF Premier
I have been getting lots of spam calls for credit cards for years, but this one is different and very concerning.
This man has called from from different numbers for different pre-approved credit cards of different banks. I can recognize his voice and the way he talks.
Once he said that I have a pre-approved offer for LTF Standard Chartered EaseMyTrip Credit Card. He says there is will be not CIBIL hit and no documentation as its pre approved. He needs only my employer info and address confirmation. And more this and that. From his conversations on credit bureaus and credit cards and how they work, it looked like he has done his homework. He said I can take time to think and them call him back.
In next call he says I have a pre-approved offer for Yes Bank BYOC Rupay Credit Card LTF. I counter him immediately that Yes BYOC are not LTF. He says that its not LTF for Visa or Mastercard, but LTF for Rupay and I can google and confirm and only then call him back.

Now the scary part.....
He tells my PAN number, my mobile number, name and address. I ask him how do you know all of these? He doesn't give a convincing answer. I then say that since you have all the details needed to apply for a credit card, are you going to apply on my behalf behind my back? He says, no he wants my approval and if that was the case he would have already applied on my behalf.

Obtaining my confidential info is not that hard, but is this enough to apply for credit cards behind my back without my approval? My guess is that he will get stuck at some point like for e.g. Aadhaar verification, where my OTP would be required.
Also my guess is, agent's commission depends on the number of CC applications he submits, and not on whether it is finally approved. So is this information enough for him to pass his commission step?
I have received such call on my wife's phone two days back for HDFC card, I haven't believe on that person so he shared employee card and snapshot of my pan and other details on WhatsApp, that he has received these details from bank, as I have pre-approved card offer.

So I shared PAN and aadhar, and photo with him, today I ask him on his WhatsApp no., He told me that I will get update on Monday about card.

But now after seeing your message, I am worried that he may misuse my photo and documents also. Can he open bank account with these details and misuse them or can he take loan with my documents, without aadhar authentication?

Let's see, will call him on Monday again.

FinGuru

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Once he said that I have a pre-approved offer for LTF Standard Chartered EaseMyTrip Credit Card. He says there is will be not CIBIL hit and no documentation as its pre approved. He needs only my employer info and address confirmation. And more this and that. From his conversations on credit bureaus and credit cards and how they work, it looked like he has done his homework. He said I can take time to think and them call him back.
In next call he says I have a pre-approved offer for Yes Bank BYOC Rupay Credit Card LTF. I counter him immediately that Yes BYOC are not LTF. He says that its not LTF for Visa or Mastercard, but LTF for Rupay and I can google and confirm and only then call him back.

Now the scary part.....

Obtaining my confidential info is not that hard, but is this enough to apply for credit cards behind my back without my approval? My guess is that he will get stuck at some point like for e.g. Aadhaar verification, where my OTP would be required.
Someone applied for an SBI FabIndia card on my behalf recently. I never received any call or email. I got a rejection letter from SBI.

Dharm

TF Premier
Do we have any method to check if someone apply with my doc and mention his contact no. and address to recive card, is there any method that such card or loan will approve without video KYC.

Trust Me

TF Ace
I sent and escalated to the ombudsman.SBI claims the application was generated through a genuine agent.

So banks use freelancer agents that serve multiple organizations, and have access to all our confidential data from all such sources now?! And, of course, there can be no guarantee of professional integrity (in fact just the opposite is almost guaranteed). Scary! :-(

db24

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Dis you registered on tata neu app?
They have already shared your details with all their partners and they shared with all their vendors.

ontherocks

TF Premier
Dis you registered on tata neu app?
They have already shared your details with all their partners and they shared with all their vendors.
Getting confidential details is not that hard anyways.
One good example I know... every time a election is nearby, these politicians run campaigns like free aadhaar plastic card. Their workers use the uidai website to print the card on a printer and then take snapshot of the aadhar and forward immediately to WhatsApp. Once I asked why are you saving peoples aadhaar card? They said "aapko card chahiye kya? nahi chahiye to hamara time waste mat karo"

Once he said that I have a pre-approved offer for LTF Standard Chartered EaseMyTrip Credit Card. He said there is will be no CIBIL hit and no documentation as its pre approved. He needs only my employer info and address confirmation. And more this and that. From his conversations on credit bureaus and credit cards and how they work, it looked like he had done his homework. He said I can take time to think and them call him back.
In next call he says I have a pre-approved offer for LTF Yes Bank BYOC Rupay Credit Card. I countered him immediately that Yes BYOC are not LTF. He says that its not LTF for Visa or Mastercard, but LTF for Rupay and I can google and confirm and only then call him back.

Now the scary part.....

Obtaining my confidential info is not that hard, but is this enough to apply for credit cards behind my back without my approval? My guess is that he will get stuck at some point, where my OTP would be required.
You must have checked your credit score on platforms like bankbazar, paisabazar, etc
They will spam you like hell and will also sell your data to other third party companies, now they will together start spamming you.

If you are not paying for it, you are not the customer, you are the product being sold.

pothi

TF Premier
RML Group
I held two useless, paid, legacy credit cards from Axis. One lady, repeatedly calls me, allegedly from Axis, asking me if I wish to upgrade my card/s. I always refuse. She had most info like others mentioned... PAN number, address, date of birth, etc. I just couldn't believe my ears when she mentioned all the details first time around. Anyway, closed one of those two cards a few days ago. Let me see if I still get any more calls.

On the other hand, I was applying for a better card from other banks. None called back, except HDFC. Someone pretends to be from HDFC calls me every week for credit card. Fighting with them through DND app. Unfortunately, the app doesn't work at times. I don't use TrueCaller. So I can't ignore their calls before picking up. 😢

pothi

TF Premier
RML Group
On the other hand, I was applying for a better card from other banks. None called back, except HDFC. Someone pretends to be from HDFC calls me every week for credit card. Fighting with them through DND app. Unfortunately, the app doesn't work at times. I don't use TrueCaller. So I can't ignore their calls before picking up. 😢

Update: After registering in HDFC DND at the following link, the spam calls from HDFC DSAs stopped...