• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Best 'Sarkari' Bank in terms of service and NetBanking? Charges and Interest Rates are Secondary.

fatehbajwa

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
The subject kind of says it all. My parents generation swore upon their long relationships with a particular bank.

I'm sure with the competition feom the private banks, there must be some improvement in service standards, especially since NetBanking is where I Do 99% of my banking.

Was looking for a new bank to shift a couple of my savings and current accounts. From HDFC. The reasons are in another post.

So among the so called "Sarkari" banks, which ones would you rate the best in service and especially Nwtbanking/Mobilebanking.

Thanks in advance.

TheTrickySid

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
The subject kind of says it all. My parents generation swore upon their long relationships with a particular bank.

I'm sure with the competition feom the private banks, there must be some improvement in service standards, especially since NetBanking is where I Do 99% of my banking.

Was looking for a new bank to shift a couple of my savings and current accounts. From HDFC. The reasons are in another post.

So among the so called "Sarkari" banks, which ones would you rate the best in service and especially Nwtbanking/Mobilebanking.

Thanks in advance.
You can try out bob they have recently upgraded their digital infrastructure so the new mobile banking app is flawless(the best among all public banks) and the net banking is also good.

Last edited:

Batmanbaba

TF Legend
for current account...PNB... and for savings go to bank of baroda..they have taken a huge leap of faith......app is very good...everything can be done online...i havent visited the branch till date for any work..i even got their credit card easily...

AllSeeker

TF Ace
If you don't need to show up at bank branch then SBI and BOB are your best bets, but if you have to show up at Bank branch at some point to do something then BOB and PNB would be better.

SBI UI might be shitty but its online transactions almost never have any problems. Surprisingly enough it works better than expectation, my IDFC account has failed me twice in in online transaction in one month alone but SBI has never in last 10 years. Surprising? I know.

ashwink

TF Infinite
TF Family
Sr Moderator
I have using the SBI,CNRB,BOB , I have to say among these Bob provides best in class services and their mobile banking app(bob world) excellent & netbanking also quite good (I feel sbi netbanking slightly better compared to bob) talking about canara bank it looks plane interface app and netbanking. services also average at branches.

Bob78900

TF Premier
Canara mobile banking is shit never works
From my experience (I use mobile app banking 95% of the time), Canara, PNB are good. I don't have account in BOB, BOI etc. SBI is plain shit. Simple things at SBI takes to to fall at our knees and beg for the mercy. I have good relations with Canara, PNB branch managers around me

ashwink

TF Infinite
TF Family
Sr Moderator
I have using the SBI,CNRB,BOB , I have to say among these Bob provides best in class services and their mobile banking app(bob world) excellent & netbanking also quite good (I feel sbi netbanking slightly better compared to bob) talking about canara bank it looks plane interface app and netbanking. services also average at branches.

Souvik

TF Premier

Thanks in advance.
The reason your parents swore upon their long term relationships with a bank was primarily due to the fact that banking was a noble profession at that time. Bankers were well wishers for their patrons.

Today its more of a sales/marketing/target oriented job at the branch level, their incentives roll out if they manage to sell this and that including CASA along with operations etc. This cross-selling tactic sometimes goes to the extent of mis-selling products to gullible consumers who trust bank's executives, more so at Private banks, but public ones are also fast catching up.

Sometime bank my mom went to the local 8 hour lunchtime/fullday no link SBI branch to get a FD renewed, she was re-directed to the branch manager, then the branch manager tried to explain to her about how she can get x and y from an Annuity product instead of an FD with no respect to her age and commensurate risk profile whatsoever.

From personal experience for savings you may not like to go for Canara, PNB, SBI is what I can say, not the best in business. Till the time you can do things by yourself via netbanking and mobile banking it maybe fine. But once you need to step into a branch or get through to customer care for a public sector bank, your life might just get miserable.

Last edited:

mukundstud

TF Premier
I hold a savings account in SBI, used to hold a savings account in Union Bank and my father holds current accounts in SBI and PNB. My SBI branch is located in my college campus. The branch staff has a great attitude there. One day, I sent a kid(lived in a village adjacent to our college campus. Our group used to teach marginalised kids living around our campus for free) to my branch to get his SBI savings account opened. One of the staff literally sat beside him and guided him through the process of opening savings account through YONO app. They did not know that the kid was sent by us. My father also has good relationships with both SBI and PNB. Most of the service is provided on a direct phone call to the branch staff. For rest, my father sends his representative to the bank. I closed my Union Bank Savings Account because its branch staff was extremely bad. I even saw a day when most of the Union Bank branch staff was busy hard selling a policy to its HNI customer, while other customers were waiting in line. So in the end, its about the branch staff and the relationship you have with the bank. I have even seen private banks like ICICI and Axis providing poorer service compared to PSBs, thanks to their lazy/rude staff.

One more thing, I consider mobile/internet banking of SBI to be best in the Indian industry. No other private bank is even close to it.

Indian

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Canara bank is not bad i think just 1000rs as minimum balance but BOB 3000rs, Canara bank planning to open CREDIT CARD subsidiary unit like SBICARD , BOB FINANCIAL