• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Best Credit Cards for International Transactions

Though India is way beyond in the Credit card game and variants but we can notice a great community is being build revolving it and the growth is great in terms of new credit card consumers in past 5-6 years. From insanely popular cashback cards to the cards for nerds, the airmiles cards, we can see a lot of variation. There are specific set of users who are like me who do a big portion of their total spends on International transitions, this thread is specially for them.

The forex markup varies between 0 - 3.5%. But hey, as the Zero markup straightaway seems to save a lot of bucks, but sometimes it's not "the best" option, which I'll discuss. Please do note, that many Debit cards also do come with 0% markup, but you do miss the extra layer of security which comes along with credit cards.

So here are the 15 credit cards which will earn / save during on your international transactions:

* Please do keep your international transaction's permission turned off when not needed for your own safety

1. Axis Reserve:

Fee:
₹50,000

Markup: 1.5%

Reward Rate: 3% (on GV) & 12% (on Loyalty Program)

Effective Reward Rate: 1.23% (on GV) & 10.23% (on Loyalty Program)

IMG_3323.JPEG

2. Citi Prestige:

Fee:
₹20,000

Markup: 3.5%

Reward Rate: 2% (on GV) & 8% (on Loyalty Program)

Effective Reward Rate: -2.13 (on GV) & 3.87% (on Loyalty Program)

IMG_3325.JPEG

3. Axis Magnus:

Fee:
₹10,000

Markup: 2%

Reward Rate: 1.2% (on GV) & 4.8% (on Loyalty Program)

Effective Reward Rate: -1.16% (on GV) & 2.44% (on Loyalty Program)

⚠️ If only hitting ₹1L milestone, effective Reward Rate would be 3.84% (on GV) & 22.44% (on Loyalty Program)

IMG_3318.JPEG

4. HDFC Infinia:

Fee:
NIL for first year. ₹10,000 from second year onwards

Reward Rate: 3.3% (With Global Value Program, extra 1% till ₹1L per billing cycle as Cashback)

Effective Reward Rate:
1.94% (⚠️Till ₹1L in a billing cycle)

IMG_3320.JPEG

5. HDFC DinersClub Black:

Fee:
NIL for first year, ₹10,000 from second year onwards

Reward Rate: 3.3% (With Global Value Program, extra 1% till ₹1L per billing cycle as Cashback)

Effective Reward Rate:
1.94% (⚠️Till ₹1L in a billing cycle)

IMG_3324.JPEG

6. Axis One Card / Burgundy Private Credit Card:

Fee:
NIL for Burgundy Private customers, if not maintained Burgundy Private, then ₹50,000

Markup: 0%

Reward Rate: 1.5% (on GV) & 6% (on Loyalty Programs)

Effective Reward Rate: 1.5% (on GV) & 6% (on Loyalty Programs)

IMG_3326.JPEG

7. AMEX Platinum Charge Card:

Fee:
₹60,000

Reward Rate: 7.5% (Considering 1MR = ₹1)

Effective Reward Rate: 3.37% (⚠️ Only for direct USD purchase, or else AMEX charge double markup fee by doing Native Currency > $ > Desired Currency)

IMG_3317.JPEG

8. Standard Chartered Ultimate:

Fee:
₹5,000

Markup: 3.5% (1.5% gets refunded back as Cashback)

Reward Rate:
3.3%

Effective Reward Rate: 0.67%

IMG_3322.JPEG

9. SBI Aurum:

Fee:
₹10,000

Reward Rate: 1-2.5% (⚠️Considering the monthly ₹1L milestone being achieved and getting ₹1.5K worth Tata Cliq Vouchers. If not spending ₹1L in a billing cycle, avoid using it)

Effective Reward Rate:
0.14%

IMG_3321.JPEG

10. IndusInd Pioneer Heritage Metal:

Fee:
₹1,90,000 joining fee, no annual fee (comes with various options of fee structure)

Markup: 1.8%

Reward Rate: 2.5%

Effective Reward Rate: 0.14%

IMG_3319.JPEG

11. IndusInd Bank Explorer:

Fee:
Joining fee ₹40,000, Annual fee ₹10,000

Reward Rate: 1% (Pays in Club Vistara Points aka CV Points)

Effective Reward Rate: 1% (Can be maximised by completing ₹3L/₹6L/₹9L/₹12L/₹15L milestone for Business Class Voucher)

IMG_3329.JPG

12. SBI Cashback Credit Card:

Fee:
NIL for first year, ₹999 from second year onwards

Reward Rate: 5%

Effective Reward Rate: 0.87%

IMG_3302.JPG

13. IDFC First Private:

Fee:
₹50,000

Reward Rate: 2.5% (⚠️Considering the spend is always above ₹30K every month, below that, avoid)

Effective Reward Rate:
2.5%

IMG_3356.JPG

14. IDFC Wealth:

Fee:
LTF

Markup: 1.5%

Reward Rate: 2.5% (⚠️Considering the spend is always above ₹30K every month, below that, avoid)

Effective Reward Rate:
0.14%

IMG_3352.JPEG

15. RBL World Safari:

Fee:
₹3,000

Reward Rate: 0% (World Safari has no RP gain on international transactions)

Effective Reward Rate:
0%

IMG_3330.JPG

So that's all as of now. Feel free to give your input. This list will keep changing depending on the new card or changed features of the cards.

gurbina

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
If you do transaction in INR they'll charge dcc. If you do in foreign currency they'll charge forex markup charge. For cards like magnus better to do in INR as dcc is less than forex markup. For cards which have zero forex markup better to do in foreign currency
Take in consideration when you're buying overseas and getting billed in INR there can be a substantial forex markup. So confirm the rates before proceeding with any payments.

jack333

TF Legend
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Yes exchange rate is usually higher of the merchant along with dcc by the bank but are you sure there is forex markup by bank also if we are billed in INR?

kkk

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
If we are billed in INR still forex markup?
Some of the card gives option to pay INR or local currency. If you choose INR then no forex markup but there will 1% dcc(+GST). And if you choose local currency then there will be forex marckup charge(Magnus has 2% + GST and Reserve has 1.5% + GST)
I recently travelled Europe so it's my first hand experience. I had Reserve card so I always chose local currency to extract maximum benefit - 30 edge points for Rs. 200 and 1.5% + GST as forex mark up charges.

kkk

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Some of the card gives option to pay INR or local currency. If you choose INR then no forex markup but there will 1% dcc(+GST). And if you choose local currency then there will be forex marckup charge(Magnus has 2% + GST and Reserve has 1.5% + GST)
I recently travelled Europe so it's my first hand experience. I had Reserve card so I always chose local currency to extract maximum benefit - 30 edge points for Rs. 200 and 1.5% + GST as forex mark up charges.
And one more thing I observed that if you chose INR in POS then exchange rate is also higher.

gurbina

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Yes exchange rate is usually higher of the merchant along with dcc by the bank but are you sure there is forex markup by bank also if we are billed in INR?
No forex markup by the bank, only DCC. But the merchant/payment gateway rates are usually pretty bad and add the DCC on top of that. Usually a bad deal unless you have a card with high forex markup rates.

Either way it will be on case by case basis, you'll have to do the math. There's no fixed rule on what's best.

jack333

TF Legend
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Yes for reserve you get extra points for international transactions that i think you won't get if you transact in INR. So there is no forex markup if you transact in INR only dcc

DrTS

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
If you do transaction in INR they'll charge dcc. If you do in foreign currency they'll charge forex markup charge. For cards like magnus better to do in INR as dcc is less than forex markup. For cards which have zero forex markup better to do in foreign currency
Ok, so its either dcc or forex markup, not both.
Also, for example I’m trying to book tickets in swiss francs (chf). The exchange rate is showing 1 chf = ₹94.95. How is this calculated ? And if I understand correctly, forex charges will be above this rate.

kkk

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Axis Samsung Infinite should be in this list with 15 edge reward points per 100 i e reward rate of 3% and 3.5% conversion charges. It better than Magnus.
Axis Reserve is best card for international transaction in Axis family. 1.5% markup charges and 30 edge points per Rs. 200.

vikasr94

TF Select
VIP Lounge
For my international travel, I used SBI cashback to book flights, activities/experiences and hotels online. Try to move all possible intl expenses to online.

For offline I used SC Ultimate & Magnus. Net cashback or rewards after Fx is positive

AllSeeker

TF Ace
For my international travel, I used SBI cashback to book flights, activities/experiences and hotels online. Try to move all possible intl expenses to online.

For offline I used SC Ultimate & Magnus. Net cashback or rewards after Fx is positive
I was thinking of closing cashback but now looks like I should keep it for future use.