• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Bank account with good Savings interest

22sumit

TF Select
I need to park some emergency funds ranging from 3-4 L but not sure of which bank will provide best interest rate on savings account.
I already have HDFC salary acct, ICICI and IDFC Classic accounts but the interest isn' that good.

Any premium LTF cc would be icing on the cake but not mandatorily.
Please suggest.

Solution
Can't thank you enough.
Appreciation for summarizing in easy words.
SO, here is the summary for the 4 banks that we considered..
This table shows , how much effective interest rate we get for the entire SB account balance
(taking into consideration of different slab interest rates according to the each Bank)...

1706555466785.png

financewizard

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I need to park some emergency funds ranging from 3-4 L but not sure of which bank will provide best interest rate on savings account.
I already have HDFC salary acct, ICICI and IDFC Classic accounts but the interest isn' that good.

Any premium LTF cc would be icing on the cake but not mandatorily.
Please suggest.
If you are looking at FDs as the only option - check out IndusInd. They are giving up to 8.25% interest for Senior Citizens.

If you can slightly take more rist Cred mint is offering 9-11% returns..

Or you can opt for Debt Mutual Funds

tuhin

TF Premier
For lower variants of accounts, some free transaction entitlements are limited (e.g. for the 5k account only 2 online RTGS transactions are free per month).

They also have a devious way of calculating the apparently high FD interest rates offered, so in reality, it's not necessarily WYSIWYG.
Online NEFTs are free. You can do NEFT, yes it can be time-consuming.

I am unaware of how to calculate the high FD interest rates by this bank. Please enlighten me.

shash5252

TF Buzz
As others have pointed out, many other banks offer better rates.

Since this is for emergency funds, there is another aspect to consider too: you might need to break it before maturity. So it would be prudent to consider the applicable premature closure penalty too. For example, HDFC's is amongst the highest (1%). SBI's is lower at 0.5% (for upto 5L).
The manager told me that no charges will be applicable. I'm not sure though, he said no charges for students🤡.

Trust Me

TF Ace
I am unaware of how to calculate the high FD interest rates by this bank. Please enlighten me.

In high school math we all learn how to calculate interest. The problem is, 2+2 doesn't always equal 4 in the Indian financial system! Yet, for some reason RBI allows banks to apply their own inaccurate and archaic methods of interest calculation to this day!

Some banks choose to use this to their own advantage, presumably for some ill-gotten gains at the cost of their customers! Bandhan is one of them.

Some devious banks in this respect (from my own experience):

Bandhan, Axis (but of course!), IDBI, perhaps ICICI too.

Some honest banks in this regard (for these 2+2 usually equals 4):

SBI, HDFC, IndusInd.

Reactions: SSV

tuhin

TF Premier
In high school math we all learn how to calculate interest. The problem is, 2+2 doesn't always equal 4 in the Indian financial system! Yet, for some reason RBI allows banks to apply their own inaccurate and archaic methods of interest calculation to this day!

Some banks choose to use this to their own advantage, presumably for some ill-gotten gains at the cost of their customers! Bandhan is one of them.

SBI, HDFC, IndusInd.
I faced one issue with Bandhan they didn't provide me with interest on time. After raising the complaint they credited to my account separately but how are they calculating? Can you please tell me? Thanks

prash1161

TF Ace

SBI, HDFC, IndusInd.
Idfc is best for intrest
Per day balance/30
And credited on 1st of every month probably before 12am

prash1161

TF Ace
Fincare has really good savings interest rates as well.
3.5 till 1 lakh
5.11 from 1 to 2 lakhs
7.11 from 2 to 5 lakhs
7.5 above 5 lakhs.

So that’s the best option along with Kotak where you can get 7% via ActivMoney if you can hold it for 6 months.
Finance is merging with au I think.
So intrest rates will be lesser

Lobogris

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Share rate i can't find on website
Please see below:

prash1161

TF Ace
Please see below:

Which account should I open
Will probably hold 2-3l