• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Bad news for SBI Cashback card Travel spend Reported MCC 4112 (no cashback on this MCC)

Abhishek012

TF Pioneer

Bad news for SBI Cashback card Travel spend Reported MCC 4112 (no cashback on this MCC):​

MCC 4112 is Railway category.

When we book Airline tickets on Cleartrip, Makemytrip, Yatra, Easymytrip websites/app. These merchant transactions reported MCC is 4112 and we will not get any cashback.

Please share other travel booking website, where you get cashback on airline tickets using SBI Cashback credit card.

5% Cashback eligible merchants list for flight bookings, shared by other users -

1) For flight booking on Agoda, got 5% cashback (Category - Lodging)

2) Booking on tataneu/airasia got the 5% cashback

3) i got for happyfares

4) Got cashback on Paytm flight booking

5) Intermiles

6) one person shared this - Booked flight tickets on Yatra website. Used Amazon pay payment gateway and paid via sbi cashback cc. Got 5%.

Last edited:

4uziaul

TF Pioneer
Contributor
That's why I refrained from commenting here. It seems like they are determined to criticize SBI bank, as if everything is solely SBI's fault. 😂

Hence my confusion, so sbi issues the card and who's the aquired bank for these flights and how can they assign wrong MCC without any repercussions? What if the bank collude with aquire bank to avoid cb?

I will attempt to explain it in the simplest way possible for everyone to understand. If I am unable to do so, I will leave it at that. 😂

Let's imagine you set up an e-commerce website and approach a bank or payment gateway processor to handle online payments. They assign you a specific MCC code based on your business nature. However, let's say they mistakenly give you a code for wallet funding instead of the correct category, like apparel or electronics, which is what you actually sell.

If a customer from our forum uses their credit card and later finds out that the MCC associated with their purchase is for wallet funding instead of the expected category, who is responsible? Is it the payment processor or the bank that issued the credit card?

In this case, the primary responsibility for assigning the correct MCC lies with the payment processor, as they assigned the code based on your business information.

As consumers, we can raise concerns with the merchants and ask them to address the issue with the banks. However, the merchants may choose to take no action, and even if they do, it could take months to resolve.

moonsmart

TF Premier
I had booked a hotel stay using makemytrip and paid using SBI CB CC ( around 30k INR ) . They offered 0% cashback for this. My question is, why should the onus be on the customer to find out things like MCC and stuff ? If a wrong MCC is reported by the merchant / identified by the bank, shouldn't they fix this ? Obviously hotel booking via MMT is not a category which is excluded from the 5% benefits, right ?
Last month I booked a hotel through MMT, redeemed my MMT coins and paid via cashback card, I got 5%.

Attachments

• MMT.jpg
    MMT.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 39

VISHESH_BANSAL

TF Pioneer
That's why I refrained from commenting here. It seems like they are determined to criticize SBI bank, as if everything is solely SBI's fault. 😂

I will attempt to explain it in the simplest way possible for everyone to understand. If I am unable to do so, I will leave it at that. 😂

Let's imagine you set up an e-commerce website and approach a bank or payment gateway processor to handle online payments. They assign you a specific MCC code based on your business nature. However, let's say they mistakenly give you a code for wallet funding instead of the correct category, like apparel or electronics, which is what you actually sell.

If a customer from our forum uses their credit card and later finds out that the MCC associated with their purchase is for wallet funding instead of the expected category, who is responsible? Is it the payment processor or the bank that issued the credit card?

In this case, the primary responsibility for assigning the correct MCC lies with the payment processor, as they assigned the code based on your business information.

As consumers, we can raise concerns with the merchants and ask them to address the issue with the banks. However, the merchants may choose to take no action, and even if they do, it could take months to resolve.
For txns at petrol pumps Acquirer Bank charge Surcharge of 1% from Card Issuer Bank

Have you guys seen any Petrol Pump POS which tag MCC other than Fuel ?
Alteast I have not seen.

Similay there is surcharge on Railway Txns too.

For fuel and Railway Merchant , Acquirer Bank take surcharge from Card issuer Bank and may offer Merchant Zero MDR or Low MDR.

Surcharge for Fuel and Railway Txns are common since most of the Banks mention about it Either in MITC or SOC or on Bank'offical website seperately.

I think these flight Booking websites using Railway MCC for their own Benift i.e low MDR from Payment Gateways

Akash Topder

TF Premier

Bad news for SBI Cashback card Travel spend Reported MCC 4112 (no cashback on this MCC):​

MCC 4112 is Railway category.

When we book Airline tickets on Cleartrip, Makemytrip, Yatra, Easymytrip websites/app. These merchant transactions reported MCC is 4112 and we will not get any cashback.

Please share other travel booking website, where you get cashback on airline tickets using SBI Cashback credit card.

5% Cashback eligible merchants list for flight bookings, shared by other users -

1) For flight booking on Agoda, got 5% cashback (Category - Lodging)

2) Booking on tataneu/airasia got the 5% cashback

3) i got for happyfares

4) Got cashback on Paytm flight booking

5) Intermiles
Any idea for goibibo and booking.com ?

4uziaul

TF Pioneer
Contributor
People here mentioned that their travel spends on makemytrip / elsewhere are tagged as railways spends incorrectly .
Please go through this thread again. It won't take you a lot of time as there aren't many pages to read. Once you do, you'll understand why you won't receive any cashback. Even if you raise it with SBI as a one-time exception, they might provide you with the cashback. However, there is no guarantee since SBI is not at fault in this situation.

pratikjain4

TF Premier
Even if you raise it with SBI as a one-time exception, they might provide you with the cashback.
-- > So basically I am looking to hear from those people who fall in this category.
SBI is not at fault in this situation
--> Even the customer is not at fault if a purchase for X category is tagged incorrect with Y category's MCC code. It doesn't matter who gave the incorrect MCC code, the payment provider / bank / whoever , We have the right to complain and to escalate if the customer care does not help. If someone in the forum is successfully able to get this sorted till the level of nodal officer, this gives others hope.

kgaurav00

TF Select
VIP Lounge
So, where is the CB? That is only the transaction. If you have really received it, try to get the MCC from SBI and update it here, so that it might help others.
Yes cashback already received, no also received cashback against 2nd june transaction. Cashback already received so no investigation about MCC code.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230614-132307__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20230614-132307__01.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 36
Last edited: