• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Bad news for SBI Cashback card Travel spend Reported MCC 4112 (no cashback on this MCC)

Abhishek012

TF Pioneer

Bad news for SBI Cashback card Travel spend Reported MCC 4112 (no cashback on this MCC):​

MCC 4112 is Railway category.

When we book Airline tickets on Cleartrip, Makemytrip, Yatra, Easymytrip websites/app. These merchant transactions reported MCC is 4112 and we will not get any cashback.

Please share other travel booking website, where you get cashback on airline tickets using SBI Cashback credit card.

5% Cashback eligible merchants list for flight bookings, shared by other users -

1) For flight booking on Agoda, got 5% cashback (Category - Lodging)

2) Booking on tataneu/airasia got the 5% cashback

3) i got for happyfares

4) Got cashback on Paytm flight booking

5) Intermiles

6) one person shared this - Booked flight tickets on Yatra website. Used Amazon pay payment gateway and paid via sbi cashback cc. Got 5%.

Last edited:

beingmohit

TF Premier
But isn't it responsibility of merchant not to present 4112 to SBI which is meant to be used for railway transactions?
The merchant doesn't really care about the MCC. The MCC is assigned by the bank and usually depends on the primary business of the merchant when they first started their operations. It is quite possible that all these travel booking merchants started off as rail ticket booking services, hence the MCC.
As consumers, we can raise concerns with these merchants and request them to discuss this issue with the banks. However, the merchants may choose to do nothing. Even if they do, this may take months.

Pavan

TF Legend
TF Family

Bad news for SBI Cashback card Travel spend Reported MCC 4112 (no cashback on this MCC):​

When we book Airline tickets on Cleartrip, Makemytrip, Yatra, Easymytrip websites/app. These merchant transactions reported MCC is 4112 and we will not get any cashback.

Please share other travel booking website, where you get cashback on airline tickets using SBI Cashback credit card.

5% Cashback eligible merchants list for flight bookings, shared by other users -

3) i got for happyfares

5) Intermiles
If it is 4112 means then bob eterna also will not give any cashback

makman

TF Select
VIP Lounge
The merchant doesn't really care about the MCC. The MCC is assigned by the bank and usually depends on the primary business of the merchant when they first started their operations. It is quite possible that all these travel booking merchants started off as rail ticket booking services, hence the MCC.
As consumers, we can raise concerns with these merchants and request them to discuss this issue with the banks. However, the merchants may choose to do nothing. Even if they do, this may take months.
Ok but in that case, if we go to SBI telling it's flight tickets under 4112 so give cashback, will they listen now that they have already stated that MCC is excluded in their T&Cs?

beingmohit

TF Premier
Anyone know where to find MCC code of merchant/website? So before booking/payment I can check that merchant is not in excluding category list
There is no way of doing that. For the same merchant, there can be multiple MCCs assigned depending on what service you are availing. The best way is to make a small transaction and ask the customer care about the MCC.

ydharia

TF Buzz
There is no way of doing that. For the same merchant, there can be multiple MCCs assigned depending on what service you are availing. The best way is to make a small transaction and ask the customer care about the MCC.
i found people who reporting all website/marchant name in --> Excel sheet (Sheet 2)<-- with help of other cashback card holders and there cashback experience.
please start reporting to this excelsheet so we all know where we get cashback or not.

pratikjain4

TF Premier
I had booked a hotel stay using makemytrip and paid using SBI CB CC ( around 30k INR ) . They offered 0% cashback for this. My question is, why should the onus be on the customer to find out things like MCC and stuff ? If a wrong MCC is reported by the merchant / identified by the bank, shouldn't they fix this ? Obviously hotel booking via MMT is not a category which is excluded from the 5% benefits, right ?

beingmohit

TF Premier
i found people who reporting all website/marchant name in --> Excel sheet (Sheet 2)<-- with help of other cashback card holders and there cashback experience.
please start reporting to this excelsheet so we all know where we get cashback or not.
This is an excellent resource. Thanks a ton for sharing
Unfortunately, it does not report the MCC
Maybe we can create a post on this community and keep updating it

ydharia

TF Buzz
I had booked a hotel stay using makemytrip and paid using SBI CB CC ( around 30k INR ) . They offered 0% cashback for this. My question is, why should the onus be on the customer to find out things like MCC and stuff ? If a wrong MCC is reported by the merchant / identified by the bank, shouldn't they fix this ? Obviously hotel booking via MMT is not a category which is excluded from the 5% benefits, right ?
thanks for telling me that mmt not giving cashback, but I use Agoda for hotel booking and I get 5% cashback but not confirm after 1 May because I booked hotel before 1 May.
i also lost 5% cashback on EaseMyTrip due to wrong MCC code and bank customer care call center told me that you are eligible for 5% but its takes 7 days to credit but when I raise complaint from Sbicard app they told me I was not eligible for it due to MCC code they count in Railway MCC code in EaseMyTrip.

beingmohit

TF Premier
The banks do no restrict categories as such. They only restrict MCCs.
The merchant never reports the MCC. MCC is provided to the merchant by the bank. In most cases, merchants are unaware of the MCC banks have assigned them. Hence, it is not right to blame the merchant.
The onus is on RBI now. If banks chose to differentiate rewards based on MCC, they should also mention the merchant MCC on the payment page. The RBI needs to enforce this. But knowing how laid back all of our agencies are, this may take years.

Akash Topder

TF Premier

3) i got for happyfares

5) Intermiles
Is there any way or process to change the MCC on those 4 websites for Flight & hotel booking to their correct MCCs?
Like mailing or calling their customer care or SBI card customer care or something?
I mean there are so many knowledgeable guys here who are frequent air travellers who use CB card for their flight tickets. Anyone know a way?

Abhishek012

TF Pioneer
Is there any way or process to change the MCC on those 4 websites for Flight & hotel booking to their correct MCCs?
Like mailing or calling their customer care or SBI card customer care or something?
I mean there are so many knowledgeable guys here who are frequent air travellers who use CB card for their flight tickets. Anyone know a way?
No but you can send email to their CEOs.

ydharia

TF Buzz
i don't know but i complain on sbi card app about my flight ticket cashback, so if all user start complain then might be they take action on it.