• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Axis Magnus v/s Amex

AP1000

TF Neo
Hi folks, just joined this community hence posting this thread here. Will keep it brief:

I currently have an HDFC DCB with annual spends of ~8-9L. My monthly spends go above 1L only 2-3 months a year. I wanted to diversify outside of the Diners Club Network and hence was looking to get an Axis Magnus (I satisfy the salary criteria, so should be straightforward, I believe) or an Amex card. I understand both these cards are good cards to have but I'm unclear on what benefits they can give me outside my DCB- could someone please care to explain if this makes sense for me?

Much appreciated,
AP

Gaurav Goel

TF Select
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Magnus is a good card with all the benefits apart from the 25,000 points when the 1 lac milestone is hit. Some key ones are:

1) BOGO offer in bookmyshow upto 500, 5 times a month
2) Airport Concierge service 8 times a year
3) Good redemtion partners

For amex, it depends which card you are targeting. Amex MRCC is good for 1500 spends 4 times a month which gives 1,000 bonus points and spending 20k a month which gives another 1,000 bonus points

Amex Platinum charge is good for lifestyle benefits, because it gives elite status of various hotel operators. But the fee won't recover with the 45,000 Taj vouchers now offered. Unless the upgrade option is there which gives 1.25 lac points and unless you like its lifestyle benefits, it won't be of much use as compared to Magnus

AP1000

TF Neo
Thanks Gaurav! Just read about the Magnus devaluation so rethininking some things :)
Magnus is a good card with all the benefits apart from the 25,000 points when the 1 lac milestone is hit. Some key ones are:

1) BOGO offer in bookmyshow upto 500, 5 times a month
2) Airport Concierge service 8 times a year
3) Good redemtion partners

For amex, it depends which card you are targeting. Amex MRCC is good for 1500 spends 4 times a month which gives 1,000 bonus points and spending 20k a month which gives another 1,000 bonus points

Amex Platinum charge is good for lifestyle benefits, because it gives elite status of various hotel operators. But the fee won't recover with the 45,000 Taj vouchers now offered. Unless the upgrade option is there which gives 1.25 lac points and unless you like its lifestyle benefits, it won't be of much use as compared to Magnus

rohitpgarg

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Get infinia, if your salary is high enough. It's the best card in india. Then top up with amex if needed.

Truth is, with infinia, there's very little room for any other cards in your portfolio.

dominic1229

TF Premier
Thanks Gaurav! Just read about the Magnus devaluation so rethininking some things :)
Ignore Magnus. Prior to devaluation, it would have been one of the best card to have. No renewal benefit and removal of monthly milestone is enough to kill that card.

If you have credit limit of 8L on your DCB then go for Infinia. Even a paid Infinia is much better than a LTF DCB.

If you want to get AmEx too then you can consider AmEx Plat Travel (amazing rewards with 4L annual spends) or AmEx gold for 5x rewards value on AmEx Gyftr vouchers.
You can also get AmEx MRCC to have the best "amex trifecta" (search about "AmEx Trifecta" in this forum to know how to get max value from amex trifecta; MRCC+PlatTravel+Gold Charge)