• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

About to cancel Magnus, any renewal benefit?

popeye

TF Buzz
Hi all,

I just got Magnus last year and well now that's it's almost a piece of junk I'm about to cancel it. I currently hold the following: HDFC Infinia (VISA metal), Axis Magnus (MC) and Amex Platinum (Charge Card not a CC but still). The majority of my spends are travel (about 60% of my expenses per year) and are done on the AMEX and the remainder such as online shopping and purchases are mostly on the Infinia (also use Infinia in places internationally when AMEX doesn't work).

I previously used Magnus domestically for quite a bit of expenses to collect miles and now with the Group A & B redemption it doesn't make any more sense. Now owing to how crappy Axis Bank's description is on the site I don't know if there's a renewal fee payment point bonus (like I get 12500 reward points on some cards). Is there any such bonus?

My renewal date is coming up and if there's no such bonus I'll just cancel this card since it's no good for me now. (Note: I got out of Burgundy the moment they devalued)

Last edited:

rogerthat

TF Ace
No, and at this point Axis will probably pay you to cancel the card. They are desperate to get all erstwhile Magnus customers out of their system. In my case they closed the card before I even had a chance to ask about retention benefits.

popeye

TF Buzz
No, and at this point Axis will probably pay you to cancel the card. They are desperate to get all erstwhile Magnus customers out of their system. In my case they closed the card before I even had a chance to ask about retention benefits.
Sorry for what happened to you! That sounds really bad for Axis....I mean HDFC is equally a mess because well, they're the reason I never visit the branch (as they keep trying to upsell ULIPs every single damn time).

How long were you holding Magnus? Makes sense to move to Atlas maybe although I'm not sure how long it will be until that's devalued to nothing as well.

sourpai

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Hi all,

I just got Magnus last year and well now that's it's almost a piece of junk I'm about to cancel it. I currently hold the following: HDFC Infinia (VISA metal), Axis Magnus (MC) and Amex Platinum (Charge Card not a CC but still). The majority of my spends are travel (about 60% of my expenses per year) and are done on the AMEX and the remainder such as online shopping and purchases are mostly on the Infinia (also use Infinia in places internationally when AMEX doesn't work).

I previously used Magnus domestically for quite a bit of expenses to collect miles and now with the Group A & B redemption it doesn't make any more sense. Now owing to how crappy Axis Bank's description is on the site I don't know if there's a renewal fee payment point bonus (like I get 12500 reward points on some cards). Is there any such bonus?

My renewal date is coming up and if there's no such bonus I'll just cancel this card since it's no good for me now. (Note: I got out of Burgundy the moment they devalued)
How much are your spends? If they are above 12L they may give fee waiver. If not close the card

sxchzy

TF Pioneer
VIP Lounge
a major chunk of my spends wasnt counted for fee waiver due to merchant mis classification by MCC.
i didn't bother asking them to count it after a point of time as only the usp left for this was the easydiner benefits

popeye

TF Buzz
a major chunk of my spends wasnt counted for fee waiver due to merchant mis classification by MCC.
i didn't bother asking them to count it after a point of time as only the usp left for this was the easydiner benefits
Same thing happened to me as well when I made some hotel bookings on a website which used some other MCC (and I'm not sure why).
How much are your spends? If they are above 12L they may give fee waiver. If not close the card
My spends used to be around the 10L+ mark but ever since the devaluation I've almost stopped using my Magnus card. Guess it makes sense to just close it. But I have a feeling that they'll still somehow manage to charge some fees.

Very bad on Axis.

rogerthat

TF Ace
Sorry for what happened to you! That sounds really bad for Axis....I mean HDFC is equally a mess because well, they're the reason I never visit the branch (as they keep trying to upsell ULIPs every single damn time).

How long were you holding Magnus? Makes sense to move to Atlas maybe although I'm not sure how long it will be until that's devalued to nothing as well.
Yeah its ok, thanks. HDFC actually atleast knows what they are doing... Axis is stuck in an endless cycle of bad decisions and resulting permanent fire-fighting mode.

I had Magnus for exactly one year. And yes I did move to Atlas after the first devaluation. I am expecting for it to be devalued by this October so need to get either Infinia or Emeralde Metal before that though both look highly unlikely. There are no worthwhile cards in the Indian market beyond those two right now. AMEX/DCB is no good because acceptance is very poor outside the metros.

popeye

TF Buzz
Yeah its ok, thanks. HDFC actually atleast knows what they are doing... Axis is stuck in an endless cycle of bad decisions and resulting permanent fire-fighting mode.

I had Magnus for exactly one year. And yes I did move to Atlas after the first devaluation. I am expecting for it to be devalued by this October so need to get either Infinia or Emeralde Metal before that though both look highly unlikely. There are no worthwhile cards in the Indian market beyond those two right now. AMEX/DCB is no good because acceptance is very poor outside the metros.
Great point. I'm expecting Atlas to also get devalued, maybe sooner than that. Probably makes sense to simply avoid Axis cards for now? Friend has Axis Reserve and it got devalued like crazy.

It almost seems like all banks just want us to exclusively use one card for all our spends which often doesn't make sense because of our personal preferences and maybe optimizing card usage too. Axis seems like a lost case. They're messing things up every day.

Vasuki

TF Pioneer
Contributor
RML Group
VIP Lounge
Great point. I'm expecting Atlas to also get devalued, maybe sooner than that. Probably makes sense to simply avoid Axis cards for now? Friend has Axis Reserve and it got devalued like crazy.

It almost seems like all banks just want us to exclusively use one card for all our spends which often doesn't make sense because of our personal preferences and maybe optimizing card usage too. Axis seems like a lost case. They're messing things up every day.
Reserve is that even a card ?
Or piece of shit 🤣