• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Axis Magnus > HDFC Infinia for Avios Transfer Specific Use Case

rogerthat

TF Ace
HDFC transfers reward points at the ratio of 2:1 for Qatar and BA partners only while it is indeed 1:1 for everything else.

This means that if you transfer your HDFC Infinia reward points to Qatar or BA you get only 1.67% returns for regular spends (instead of the flat 3.33% which is advertised everywhere) which is pathetic. At the same time Magnus even after devaluation has a flat transfer rate of Edge Reward points at 5:2 for all partners. This means you will get a return of 2.4% in case of Avios transfer. Not great either but better. If you combine Magnus with Select you can even manage up to 4% returns on grocery/supermarket/dept store and clothing shopping spends.

For accelerated (Gyftr) transactions (5x) it is the same. While Infinia gives 8.3% Magnus returns 12%! However for Amazon vouchers specifically (2x) Axis falls behind with only 4.8% return. However this can change anytime. Magnus 3x gives 7.2% while 4x gives 9.6%.

And it looks like more OneWorld partners will adopt Avois as their FF miles currency by next year (starting with Finnair in March) which means that Infinia will further lose an edge (pun intended).

Infinia is still the better card overall no doubt but for this specific use case Magnus is better. Also, does anyone know why HDFC keeps such a poor conversion rate for Avios? This is particularly hurting because you will get back only half the value for annual/renewal fees.

HDFC transfers reward points at the ratio of 2:1 for Qatar and BA partners only while it is indeed 1:1 for everything else.

Also, does anyone know why HDFC keeps such a poor conversion rate for Avios?

This isn't just true for Avios. Most of HDFCs transfer partners transfer at 2:1 (with 5-6 exceptions).

If you're absolutely committed to only and only Avios then transferring to AY now and then at 3:2 to Avios next year would be the best value. Otherwise yeah it doesn't look good.

drsel

TF Legend

This means that if you transfer your HDFC Infinia reward points to Qatar or BA you get only 1.67% returns for regular spends (instead of the flat 3.33% which is advertised everywhere) which is pathetic. At the same time Magnus even after devaluation has a flat transfer rate of Edge Reward points at 5:2 for all partners. This means you will get a return of 2.4% in case of Avios transfer. Not great either but better. If you combine Magnus with Select you can even manage up to 4% returns on grocery/supermarket/dept store and clothing shopping spends.

For accelerated (Gyftr) transactions (5x) it is the same. While Infinia gives 8.3% Magnus returns 12%! However for Amazon vouchers specifically (2x) Axis falls behind with only 4.8% return. However this can change anytime. Magnus 3x gives 7.2% while 4x gives 9.6%.

And it looks like more OneWorld partners will adopt Avois as their FF miles currency by next year (starting with Finnair in March) which means that Infinia will further lose an edge (pun intended).

Infinia is still the better card overall no doubt but for this specific use case Magnus is better.
Why do you say HDFC Infinia is the better card overall?
Magnus with burgundy is superior to Infinia

drsel

TF Legend
Opportunity cost of 10L isn't being considered by you here.
Okay, but how is Infinia better than plain Magnus?
Plain Magnus gives 12% on airtickets on Traveledge.
what is the % return using Infinia for airtickets on Smartbuy, considering that for using the 16.66% points in the second transaction, you can use only 70% of the points and the rest by card

sxchzy

TF Pioneer
VIP Lounge
Okay, but how is Infinia better than plain Magnus?
Plain Magnus gives 12% on airtickets using Traveledge.
what is the return using Infinia , considering that for using the 16.66% points in the second transaction, you can use only 70% of the points and the rest by card
Again you are looking at it from one angle.
How much of your yearly spends will happen on travel edge or smart buy.
Only consider base rewards points for that matter.
Helps you get clarity

drsel

TF Legend
I just changed my existing saving account to Burgundy. It will take one week to implement.

So I am looking forward to
24% return on air tickets (Traveledge)
24% return on 5X Giftedge vouchers.
4.8% return on all other spends
5 + 5 movie and non movie tickets every month.
40% discount on EazyDiner every month
8 concierge, etc.

Benefits which are not there on Infinia

Last edited:

sxchzy

TF Pioneer
VIP Lounge
I just changed my existing saving account to Burgundy. It will take one week to implement.

So I am looking forward to 24% return on air tickets on traveledge & some Giftedge vouchers and 4.8% return on all other spends, 5 + 5 movie and non movie tickets and 40% discount on EazyDiner, 8 concierge, etc.
Good for you.
Even though I have both I have stopped using magnus almost everywhere.
Sapphiro gives me BMS bogo.
Not a very frequent traveller so travel edge or smart buy doesn't have much usage to me.
Skyscanner or ffp miles or vistara vouchers suffices my travel needs.
40% discount is once a month which can be called unique in a way
But that is also taken care off on higher bills by citi premier indus pinnacle and many more cards
Only thing here left is 8 m&g
Which as I said isnt of much use to me
Now coming to base reward rate of 4.8% you have to look at opportunity cost of 10L
Based on your risk appetite you could invest those 10L in peer to peer lending and make 1.2L in interest income and pay off the fee and enjoy all other benefits.
But if you have 3L salary credit then it's different makes sense

sxchzy

TF Pioneer
VIP Lounge

So I am looking forward to
24% return on air tickets (Traveledge)
24% return on 5X Giftedge vouchers.
4.8% return on all other spends
5 + 5 movie and non movie tickets every month.
40% discount on EazyDiner every month
8 concierge, etc.

One should also account for the frequency of his usage of traveledge giftedge.
Not reward induced spends,genuine needs or spends.
It might be that you end up spending more because you find it lucrative enough the rewards part of it

rogerthat

TF Ace
didnt get this part
could you explain this
Opportunity cost. If you are putting 10L that you don't happen to have lying around uselessly and which you could've put to better use elsewhere and are just parking in a savings account only to get Magnus Burgundy thereby losing out on lets say 10% returns and settling for 3% on SB interest, that is a manufactured spend. Just like how people buy things they don't need on a credit card to get points and milestones. Magnus 1L was a good case study.

sxchzy

TF Pioneer
VIP Lounge
Opportunity cost. If you are putting 10L that you don't happen to have lying around uselessly and which you could've put to better use elsewhere and are just parking in a savings account only to get Magnus Burgundy thereby losing out on lets say 10% returns and settling for 3% on SB interest, that is a manufactured spend. Just like how people buy things they don't need on a credit card to get points and milestones. Magnus 1L was a good case study.
understood
i also pointed out the same thing

drsel

TF Legend
Yes even I could not manage one lac spend every month with my Magnus card before the devaluation.

If you invest 10 lacs in a bank fixed deposit at 7.5% interest and deduct 30% tax, the return goes down to 5.25%.
Savings interest after 30% tax will be 2.1%
5.25%--2.1%=3.15% loss or Rs. 31500 loss.

2 lakhs spend only in Traveledge in a month would mean a difference of Rs.24000
So I don't think it will be difficult to manage a difference of Rs.31500 for spends over the entire year!

Last edited:

rogerthat

TF Ace
Yes even I could not manage one lac spend every month with my Magnus card before the devaluation.
If you invest 10 lacs in a bank fixed deposit at 7.5% interest and deduct 30% tax, the return goes down to 5.25%.
5.25%--2.1%=3.15% loss or Rs. 31500 loss, compensated easily by getting 39375 extra edge points
I was thinking more like long term Mutual Funds and Gold.