• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Axis Magnus (Considering Post Deval rewards) vs HDFC DCB for 6L spends

cresonkg

TF Neo
Hey,

I just got my Magnus card last week. Still, I haven’t made any transactions on it considering all the devaluation news. But still assuming the worst case is that there is devaluation and it gets devalued to 5:1, I want to compare the rewards of Magnus vs HDFC DCB. If DCB is significantly better, I’m considering canceling Magnus without paying the joining fee.

Assuming a minimum of 6L in a year, I have made the following calculation to compare the benefits. (Excluding all the 10x, and 5x benefits on both for the purpose of this calculation)

Magnus

12 reward points per Rs.200 spent
Thus for 6L spend = 36K Points
Assuming that I spend 1L+ on 3 months = 75K Points
Totally, I get = 110000 Points
And, considering the 5:1 ratio, my final partner points would be around 22k points

DCB

5 reward points for every Rs.150
For 6L spend = 20K points
And considering the 1:1 ratio, my final partner points would be around 20k points

Not much of a difference. And also, both cost 10K rupees per year but I personally think Magnus’s joining benefits are much worth the 10K than the DCB joining benefits.

Ok, so Magnus seems to be a better option from this calculation (Correct me if I’m wrong). But I’ve also seen posts where they mention Magnus now is a complete waste and they would go back to DCB/Infinia. I don’t understand why.

Would greatly appreciate any of your comments on this.

thunderbolt

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
If you are spending 1L+ for 3 months then consider DCB monthly 80k milestone benefit.
2 * ₹500 voucher * 3 months
Mostly DCB is given FYF so no joining benefits & if your spends are 5L+ then no renewal fee/renewal benefits.
With DCB points you can also book flights/hotels @ 1:1 ratio on smartbuy, no hassle of searching award tickets on specific dates of travel.
Do keep in mind about DCB acceptance where you shop.

Last edited:

adicard

TF Buzz
With Axis Magnus you get the 8 x Airport Meet & Greet service, which is worth a lot more than the golf course access with other premium cards.

Pavan

TF Legend
TF Family
With Axis Magnus you get the 8 x Airport Meet & Greet service, which is worth a lot more than the golf course access with other premium cards.
Yes but as per the latest experience not all booking are accepted and duirng weekend chances of cancelling are more
Axis has worst customer service

dominic1229

TF Premier
Hey,

I just got my Magnus card last week. Still, I haven’t made any transactions on it considering all the devaluation news. But still assuming the worst case is that there is devaluation and it gets devalued to 5:1, I want to compare the rewards of Magnus vs HDFC DCB. If DCB is significantly better, I’m considering canceling Magnus without paying the joining fee.

Assuming a minimum of 6L in a year, I have made the following calculation to compare the benefits. (Excluding all the 10x, and 5x benefits on both for the purpose of this calculation)

Magnus

12 reward points per Rs.200 spent
Thus for 6L spend = 36K Points
Assuming that I spend 1L+ on 3 months = 75K Points
Totally, I get = 110000 Points
And, considering the 5:1 ratio, my final partner points would be around 22k points

DCB

5 reward points for every Rs.150
For 6L spend = 20K points
And considering the 1:1 ratio, my final partner points would be around 20k points

Not much of a difference. And also, both cost 10K rupees per year but I personally think Magnus’s joining benefits are much worth the 10K than the DCB joining benefits.

Ok, so Magnus seems to be a better option from this calculation (Correct me if I’m wrong). But I’ve also seen posts where they mention Magnus now is a complete waste and they would go back to DCB/Infinia. I don’t understand why.

Would greatly appreciate any of your comments on this.
DCB LTF > Magnus > DCB

only go for DCB, if you can get it LTF, else ignore it.

With Magnus, you can get below benefits worth 12.4K for first year without spending anything extra:

EzDiner Prime: 2.4K
TataCliq voucher: 10K

Normal spend of 1 movie plan and 1x dine-out meal will get benefit of 2K (not related to Dineout swiggy):
Savings from 1 meal using Magnus EZdiner discount: 1K due to Magnus 1K offer.
Movie in a group of 4, so u get 2 tix free (max. 500 for 1x ticket): 1K

Moving on to spending a bit more:
And if you can hit spends of 1L even for 1 month in 1 year then 25K extra reward points. (current value 20K CV points, might drop in future but nothing confirmed yet)

abby

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
The devaluation is yet to be confirmed.. based on my call with the call center yesterday, there is no confirmation on the devaluation.. if the devaluation happens with your expected spend.. I think dcb would be a better bet.. without devaluation.. hands down magnus

aloha12d

TF Buzz
Scenario: For my spend of 1 lakh in July and August

I shall get my monthly milestone 90 days from the date of settlement.

So with that logic: let’s say I get all points in November, But then would I be able to see the points go in the ratio of 5:4 when transferring or then I would be able to see it at 5:2?

sxchzy

TF Pioneer
VIP Lounge
Scenario: For my spend of 1 lakh in July and August

I shall get my monthly milestone 90 days from the date of settlement.

So with that logic: let’s say I get all points in November, But then would I be able to see the points go in the ratio of 5:4 when transferring or then I would be able to see it at 5:2?
August spends benefit you will received at 5:2
July will recejv3d at 5 :4

aloha12d

TF Buzz
August spends benefit you will received at 5:2
July will recejv3d at 5 :4
But did the official doc not say everything is effective from 1st September?
Or you mean on spending 1lakhs in August, I will still get 25k as monthly milestone but i will be able to convert that at 5:2 ?

sxchzy

TF Pioneer
VIP Lounge
But did the official doc not say everything is effective from 1st September?
Or you mean on spending 1lakhs in August, I will still get 25k as monthly milestone but i will be able to convert that at 5:2 ?
the second statement is correct
you will be able to convert it into 5:2 ratio everywhere

rojajimmy

TF Select
I have the DCB LTF as I had the moneyback for a few years and for a whole year I had spends of 5 lakhs/month and no defaults in payments of the same amount. I was offered DCB LTF when HDFC bank was banned from issuing new customers by RBI and they gave great upgrades to existing customers.
I do not travel a lot. (Though I would love to). 2013-2017 I had no international travel and 2018 I went to Canada, South Africa nad Maldives and 2019 I could go to Armenia in a friend's wedding. Again with COVID 2020 and 2021 no international travel. Last year I went to South Korea in August and finished the year with a trip to Dubai in December.

I love unlimited lounge access on DCB. (I have taken domestic flights more often though) and I just got the Axis Magnus in July so I am not sure if I will keep it after a year if the devaluation is this bad and I have to pay 12500 + GST and get nothing for that and nothing for 1 lakh spends per month.

My spends are not too much and DCB being LTF (and thus all HDFC cards LTF as a consequence - HDFC tata Neu and UPI Virtual as well because I have not been charged the 250 joining fees yet), I guess I will discontinue Magnus at the end of the 1st year. I hope my limit remains high though. I got it same as DCB at 828k and Axis sucks at LE. before this even after 10 years of holding Axis cards my limit is just 180k which was shared on Axis Ace, Axis FK and Kiwi. I had 4 cards after Magnus was approved but I did cancel Fk after the devaluation, so I am back to 3 now.

mowgli

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
nope,
er points are credited within 90-120 days based on transactions being setttled,refunds if any being processed
so it makes sense what they did
I meant, as per RBI rule, min one month notification is required to be given to customer. On that aspect, September 1st onwards, bank can change it to 5:2. like eg, the ER 25k reward is also coming up for spends in Aug (in 90-120 days). so, i was just saying 5:4 also, they could have allowed for ER accumulated till August end.