• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Axis Atlas Atlas charging dcc mark up and gst on airline spends in INR

kapsshah42

TF Buzz
Atlas is charging DCC mark up and gst on airline transaction on their website in spite of payment being done in Inr. I got charged twice while booking for Klm and Lufthansa even for ex India flights.Is it an error or its normal?

ak93

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
The discussion is heading toward foreign currency transaction.They question I have is will booking done on Airlines website for flights ex India and the fare showing in Inr (not selection option).It is showing in Inr from step 1 upto payment.Will these transactions be eligible for dcc and markup?
If it is international airlines, yes. It is showing INR from step 1 because of your locale in browser. If you login to same website from other countries, it will show currency from that country but you will have option to change it somewhere on the website (Not during payment)

spicedlatte

TF Buzz
I got DCC when i booked Air France KLM. The site is just doing some internal calculation and displaying in UI. It's not being processed in India so DCC is expected. I agree it's confusing to be shown in locale converted rates from the get go and then be charged DCC but it is what it is.

Actually after checking their site within EU I have seen booking charges 10 euro which they're waiving off for India. So FCY markup+booking fee will be much more than DCC, especially for cards like Atlas. I think you should checkout KLM.nl and compare with KLM.in fare and you'll be thankful 😁

rogerthat

TF Ace
Please check your invoices. Is it provided by Indian registered entity? If so, DCC is not applicable. If it is not, bank can charge DCC.

I have booked Emirates and it doesn't charge as I think they have Indian entity.
Yes, this is correct. I book Emirates in INR on emirates.com and was never charged anything extra at all.

1695476083897.png

Maybe the 'in' in the URL has got something to do with it that it is an Indian entity?

CARDBITRAGE

TF Ace
Yes, this is correct. I book Emirates in INR on emirates.com and was never charged anything extra at all.

1695476083897.png

Maybe the 'in' in the URL has got something to do with it that it is an Indian entity?
No. That has nothing to do with it. The currency depends on your departing country, but you can choose to pay in any currency. Maybe Emirates has been registered as a merchant in India to receive payments.

anilkrsh

TF Premier
You don't have to pay DCC if the company has tied up with a Indian payment gateway to accept payments from India. For example Airbnb had Indian payment gateway but Klook doesn't.

Hi, Need Help Guys,

I made Thai Airways flight reservation on Booking.com, they charge me in INR, but not Axis Magnus charged me DCC charges,

in Past i done many local hotels reservation through Booking.com, but never face such problem.

Should i raised this concern to hight authority of Axis ( already got 1st respone that Axis will charge DCC) ?

CARDBITRAGE

TF Ace
Hi, Need Help Guys,

I made Thai Airways flight reservation on Booking.com, they charge me in INR, but not Axis Magnus charged me DCC charges,

in Past i done many local hotels reservation through Booking.com, but never face such problem.

Should i raised this concern to hight authority of Axis ( already got 1st respone that Axis will charge DCC) ?
No use escalating. Payments through Booking.com will attract DCC if the vendor/service provider(Thai Airways in your case) is based outside India(as the payment is made in foreign currency to them), even though the value is displayed in INR. Your local bookings(based in India) were settled in INR so DCC wasn't charged to you. This is as per my experience so far.

No use escalating. Payments through Booking.com will attract DCC if the vendor/service provider(Thai Airways in your case) is based outside India(as the payment is made in foreign currency to them), even though the value is displayed in INR. Your local bookings(based in India) were settled in INR so DCC wasn't charged to you. This is as per my experience so far.
Duly Noted,

But recently i booked & stayed in Kazakhstan, but then axis didnt charge me DCC, that is bit strange, anyhow thanks for your valubale information.

faltooAdmi

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Whats better to use if using atlas on Singapore airlines from India?
Pay in INR & get charged DCC
Pay in foreign currency (SGD) & get charged forex.

I think dcc maybe better as its around 1.18%, while the forex markup on amex is almost 4.5%.
Please shed some light.

sourpai

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Whats better to use if using atlas on Singapore airlines from India?
Pay in INR & get charged DCC
Pay in foreign currency (SGD) & get charged forex.

I think dcc maybe better as its around 1.18%, while the forex markup on amex is almost 4.5%.
Please shed some light.
You will have to select SGD and check the price in SGD. Then select INR and check prices in INR. This comparison will give you insight on markup applied over the google SGDINR rates. Take a call based on this math

akf

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
On similar topic, if I book some activities for UK in Klook/GetYourGuide/Viator, will that be counted as International spend on Samsung Axis Infinite ?