• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Are CIBIL hard inquiries really that bad?

Abhishek20

TF Premier
I have been seeing many posts in which people are concerned about having one additional hard inquiry in their CIBIL report. But is it really something I should be fretting about? Now, I understand if you have more inquiries, especially in a short period of time, it shows you as a credit-hungry borrower and overly reliant on credit, thereby potentially showing you as a risk. This may affect your credit score as well to some extent. But from what I have observed, the effect of hard inquiries on your credit score seem to be minimal and only for the short-term, recovering quickly (if it even dips) after few months of proper payment and utilization ration. If you have a good history, with no defaults and low utilization, then that seems to mostly determine your credit score in the long-term.

So, is having multiple hard inquiries on CIBIL report really bad and will it have any huge consequences? What happens if you have 5 hard inquiries within a month. 20 in a couple months, etc. apart from maybe dipping your credit score by a few points in the short-term?

I have been seeing many posts in which people are concerned about having one additional hard inquiry in their CIBIL report. But is it really something I should be fretting about? Now, I understand if you have more inquiries, especially in a short period of time, it shows you as a credit-hungry borrower and overly reliant on credit, thereby potentially showing you as a risk. This may affect your credit score as well to some extent. But from what I have observed, the effect of hard inquiries on your credit score seem to be minimal and only for the short-term, recovering quickly (if it even dips) after few months of proper payment and utilization ration. If you have a good history, with no defaults and low utilization, then that seems to mostly determine your credit score in the long-term.

So, is having multiple hard inquiries on CIBIL report really bad and will it have any huge consequences? What happens if you have 5 hard inquiries within a month. 20 in a couple months, etc. apart from maybe dipping your credit score by a few points in the short-term?
In month of Dec 2022 was having 10 hard enquiries in single month but doesn't affected anything score was 764 and remained 764 in Jan 2023.

amitr29

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Last 2 years 4 Cibil hits, this year 33 Cibil hits but score has gone up by 2 points. Infact, you have chance of score going up with every successful new loan product. Check Score Stimulator for that ( you will need paid cibil subscription).

KLB@96

TF Premier
Last 2 years 4 Cibil hits, this year 33 Cibil hits but score has gone up by 2 points. Infact, you have chance of score going up with every successful new loan product. Check Score Stimulator for that ( you will need paid cibil subscription).

33 bro ? how many cards do you have lol

amitr29

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
33 bro ? how many cards do you have lol
Applied for HL at 3 places and they did 7-8..HDFC card technical error resulted in 17 Cibil.. Rest 3 Axis, 1 SBI, 3 Amex and 1 Icici.

I was stuck on Citi Prestige for 5 years 😃

Doesn't matter though..Will have zero CIBIL for next 2-3 years.

KLB@96

TF Premier
Applied for HL at 3 places and they did 7-8..HDFC card technical error resulted in 17 Cibil.. Rest 3 Axis, 1 SBI, 3 Amex and 1 Icici.

I was stuck on Citi Prestige for 5 years 😃

Doesn't matter though..Will have zero CIBIL for next 2-3 years.
you did not ask them to remove extra enquiry ?