• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Amex Platinum travel vs Amex Gold Charge

chatenrk

TF Buzz
Hi All,

Question is specific to Gyftr purchases using the above 2 cards. I use the 6*1000 purchases for Gold Charge post which I still have some transactions that I can buy through gyftr. Given gold charge is 5x and Platinum travel is 3x, which is more suited for Gyftr purchases specifically.

For any offline purchases where Amex is accepted, I use Platinum travel card.

Any suggestions on how to optimise given I have the trifecta. Most of my monthly purchases I do via Amazon Pay GV's using Amex GC card, which I think gives 6% cashback excluding the monthly bonus.

Thanks
Chaitanya

helloworld

TF Legend
I' think you already know the answer when you know the x times the card offers MR points on Reward multiplier portal. Some scenarios..

1) For 72,000 per annum spends (incl. Bonus+Reward Multiplier): ~6,000/m

Gold - 19,200 MR Points
Plat.Travel - 4,320 MR Points

- Annual fee (based on negotiation)

2) For 1,90,000 per annum spends (incl. Bonus+Reward Multiplier): ~15,834/m

Gold - 31,000 MR Points
Plat.Travel - 26,400 MR Points

3) For 4,00,000 per annum spends (incl. Bonus+Reward Multiplier): ~33,334/m - I doubt normal people have this much monthly usage on Gyftr, but anyway

Gold - 52,000 MR Points
Plat.Travel - 64,000 MR Points + 10,000 Taj Voucher

Last edited:

margan

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
If you have MRCC as well... I would suggest to go for gyftr vouchers only... for Gold(6 x 1k ) and MRCC(4 x 1.5k)....

I tried to split the bills in SPAR or DMart for Gold (1k ) and rest in Plat travel... thinking I can get away with forced spend in Apay vouchers... but realized... loosing 80 MR points for each split swipe in GOLD is not a good idea...

So if its gyftr vouchers... sticking to gold.. as its 5x... also Apay vouchers will be consumed eventually...
Plat travel cc... where ever possible.(both offline & online). till we hit 4L milestone..

---- Yet to get MRCC ....

helloworld

TF Legend
If you have MRCC as well... I would suggest to go for gyftr vouchers only... for Gold(6 x 1k ) and MRCC(4 x 1.5k)....

I tried to split the bills in SPAR or DMart for Gold (1k ) and rest in Plat travel... thinking I can get away with forced spend in Apay vouchers... but realized... loosing 80 MR points for each split swipe in GOLD is not a good idea...

So if its gyftr vouchers... sticking to gold.. as its 5x... also Apay vouchers will be consumed eventually...
Plat travel cc... where ever possible.(both offline & online). till we hit 4L milestone..

---- Yet to get MRCC ....

Really think twice before opting for MRCC. You already have two milestone cards, and I suggest do not go for another one especially when it should function every month.

Apart from benefits, think of how much time you have to spend for achieving these milestones every month, just in case one of your favorite voucher not available or there is no real spend requirement that month but that urge eats you.

You have your analysis, and plan but suggesting think again before opting for monthly milestone cards (you may already have experience with Gold to achieve 6x1000) - just saying.

margan

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
Really think twice before opting for MRCC. You already have two milestone cards, and I suggest do not go for another one especially when it should function every month.

Apart from benefits, think of how much time you have to spend for achieving these milestones every month, just in case one of your favorite voucher not available or there is no real spend requirement that month but that urge eats you.

You have your analysis, and plan but suggesting think again before opting for monthly milestone cards (you may already have experience with Gold to achieve 6x1000) - just saying.
very much true buddy... main reason to avoid is forced spends every month.. unlike annual milestone...!!