• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Amex Platinum Metal offer

Post number 5 has been selected as best answer.

eve

TF Buzz
Just received an email to upgrade to Amex Platinum Metal and get 100,000 points. Membership cost 60k. Currently holding Amex travel card.

Is it worth the upgrade if I can get my money back from travel ?

CARDBITRAGE

TF Ace
Honesty, with just 57.5k miles, not everyone can easily recoup the 70800 JF(while accounting for the additional taxes with the redemption). But it is possible if one were to take select routes(one of the US<->EUR) that offer over Rs.1/MR value(~Rs2/mile). This would be a whole different story if Amex offered a 1:1 conversion on FFPs like in the US.
Having said that, the Plat charge is a lifestyle card and there are plenty of elite-tier lifestyle and travel benefits that come with the card. If you're asking yourself if the 70.8K is worth it, then this card is not for you.

Last edited:

anirban.choudhury

TF Legend
TF Family
VIP Lounge
Honesty, with just 57.5k miles, not everyone can easily recoup the 70800 JF(while accounting for the additional taxes with the redemption). But it is possible if one were to take select routes(one of the US<->EUR) that offer over Rs.1/MR value(~Rs2/mile). This would be a whole different story if Amex offered a 1:1 conversion on FFPs like in the US.
Having said that, the Plat charge is a lifestyle card and there are plenty of elite-tier lifestyle and travel benefits that come with the card. If you asking yourself if the 70.8K is worth it, then this card is not for you.
I agree that 57.5k miles is not much but it's the best value plat charge can give
The question was whether to opt for plat charge for 115k offer , if someone is interested to get plat charge this is the best possible offer.

If the question was whether it's good to buy 115k points at 70.8 k the answer straight forward would be No.

The main thing here is that you are interested to get plat charge then definitely you should take that offer if not then no point in asking as plat charge is a lifestyle card and no way it justifies the cost in terms of INR but if you are into luxury Taj or Oberoi stays , a frequent luxury traveller then you can get the price back easily.

Also you can wait for good offers for transfer partner and then utilize those 115k MR in a better way like the Kris promotion running currently or the United 30% promotion from hotel FFP , VS 30% miles discount etc.

Miles are not supposed to be used for emergencies. Rather to get better value one should have flexible bookings in mind.

CARDBITRAGE

TF Ace
I agree that 57.5k miles is not much but it's the best value plat charge can give
The question was whether to opt for plat charge for 115k offer , if someone is interested to get plat charge this is the best possible offer.

If the question was whether it's good to buy 115k points at 70.8 k the answer straight forward would be No.

The main thing here is that you are interested to get plat charge then definitely you should take that offer if not then no point in asking as plat charge is a lifestyle card and no way it justifies the cost in terms of INR but if you are into luxury Taj or Oberoi stays , a frequent luxury traveller then you can get the price back easily.

Also you can wait for good offers for transfer partner and then utilize those 115k MR in a better way like the Kris promotion running currently or the United 30% promotion from hotel FFP , VS 30% miles discount etc.

Miles are not supposed to be used for emergencies. Rather to get better value one should have flexible bookings in mind.
Yes, if someone wants to get the Plat charge anyway, then the 115K MR bonus is a no-brainer. Getting it in the hopes of recuperating the JF won't make sense. And yes, transferring during bonuses can work out to cancel out the fees, but one should be on the lookout for those. Or you could keep things simple and redeem it at any of the top-tier properties of the Mariott Bonvoy program. A night in one of the St.Regis Maldives or the Ritz Carlton Maldives will get you almost 2-3x your JF(based on the season).

anirban.choudhury

TF Legend
TF Family
VIP Lounge
Yes, if someone wants to get the Plat charge anyway, then the 115K MR bonus is a no-brainer. Getting it in the hopes of recuperating the JF won't make sense. And yes, transferring during bonuses can work out to cancel out the fees, but one should be on the lookout for those. Or you could keep things simple and redeem it at any of the top-tier properties of the Mariott Bonvoy program. A night in one of the St.Regis' or the Ritz Carlton Maldives will get you almost 2-3x your JF(based on the season).
Obviously
If you just want to buy 115k points why do you want to waste 70k INR when you can buy those directly from Amex at 40 paise rates.

But if you are contemplating Amex plat charge and thinking whether it would be advisable to get it against those 45k Taj vouchers , this offer is a no brainer .
With just a little patience and search you can easily recover the JF.

What was the difference between what you said and what I said? How could you so effectively communicate this? I'm very very impressed.

Yes, if someone wants to get the Plat charge anyway, then the 115K MR bonus is a no-brainer. Getting it in the hopes of recuperating the JF won't make sense. And yes, transferring during bonuses can work out to cancel out the fees, but one should be on the lookout for those. Or you could keep things simple and redeem it at any of the top-tier properties of the Mariott Bonvoy program. A night in one of the St.Regis Maldives or the Ritz Carlton Maldives will get you almost 2-3x your JF(based on the season).

You will be hard pressed to do a good value miles redemption with Amex points. The only way you can do a good value redemption is through an outsized Marriott points stay.

Therefore for average junta Joe/Hari/Gopal public, Amex is usually redeemed for best value at Marriott, where you potentially can get (but not guaranteed) ₹1/point return. Since Marriott transfers at 1:1.

neogen

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
So, for first year lets say that this card is good for 60K+tax, and one gets 115K points. I see value for those points in Marriot transfer only

What about next year? What value can you extract?

I already have Infinia (LTF), and Atlas.

netsec

TF Select
So, for first year lets say that this card is good for 60K+tax, and one gets 115K points. I see value for those points in Marriot transfer only

What about next year? What value can you extract?

I already have Infinia (LTF), and Atlas.
If you often travel and stay in luxury hotels, then this card is a clear choice for you. You'll easily offset the cost with its benefits. In fact, even if you travel only once every three months, the card is still worthwhile given the regular offers it provides.

Additionally, if you're a golf enthusiast or interested in taking it up as a hobby, this card also offers complimentary golf lessons.

Furthermore, you receive a 10,000 Taj voucher during your birthday month. Your first-year spending determines your retention benefits, allowing you to assess if renewing the card is beneficial or if cancellation is a better option.