• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Amex Platinum Metal offer

Post number 5 has been selected as best answer.

eve

TF Buzz
Just received an email to upgrade to Amex Platinum Metal and get 100,000 points. Membership cost 60k. Currently holding Amex travel card.

Is it worth the upgrade if I can get my money back from travel ?

What about the plat charge card that you are getting ?

Are you valuing it at 0 Rupees ??

We keep going round and round in circles. So I'll copy paste from above..

The question posed was should someone take the Amex Plat card solely for the 115k points for Rs. 71k offer. And to that I was saying "No, you don't come close to recovering your 71k and therefore you should not do this upgrade solely for this offer."

anirban.choudhury

TF Legend
TF Family
VIP Lounge
We keep going round and round in circles. So I'll copy paste from above..

The question posed was should someone take the Amex Plat card solely for the 115k points for Rs. 71k offer. And to that I was saying "No, you don't come close to recovering your 71k and therefore you should not do this upgrade solely for this offer."
What you are talking here is completely meaningless

The question was if 70800 with 115k miles is justifying the cost of plat Charge cost or not

Where I just showed only 1 redemption by which you can get by just paying 96k get a flight worth 1.3-1.5 lakhs

Now are you comparing it against a completely different Airlines that too with convenience charges and all the flight would cost 1.04-1.10 lakhs which is again 10-15k above the price that your paying that too with 1 particular card which you are not even sure of whether the OP has the card or not and trying to prove your point which is just meaningless .

I am just saying this is only 1 possible redemption that justifies the cost of getting a plat charge , there couple be 100's available

The question was if 70800 with 115k miles is justifying the cost of plat Charge cost or not

Yes. And as we've seen it doesn't. You can get the same or better value paying cash. Which is a smarter thing to do vs. hoping you have award availability.

Where I just showed only 1 redemption by which you can get by just paying 96k get a flight worth 1.3-1.5 lakhs

Now are you comparing it against a completely different Airlines that too with convenience charges and all the flight would cost 1.04-1.10 lakhs which is again 10-15k above the price that your paying that too with 1 particular card which you are not even sure of whether the OP has the card or not and trying to prove your point which is just meaningless .

I am just saying this is only 1 possible redemption that justifies the cost of getting a plat charge , there couple be 100's available

Is UK not comparable to CX? In fact in many respects better than what CX is today? :)

When you can get a miles J ticket at the same cost as a comparable revenue ticket you've lost the miles game already. Saying it's a different airline isn't really an argument when they are more than comparable airlines.

And long as I'm below 96k that investment SOLELY for the 115k bonus does not make economical sense. Even if he doesn't have Infinia. He can still come out on top with the CX 5k miles credit. :)

Chalo I'm done done done with this.

Last edited:

anirban.choudhury

TF Legend
TF Family
VIP Lounge
Yes. And as we've seen it doesn't. You can get the same or better value paying cash. Which is a smarter thing to do vs. hoping you have award availability.

Is UK not comparable to CX? In fact in many respects better than what CX is today? :)

When you can get a miles J ticket at the same cost as a comparable revenue ticket you've lost the miles game already. Saying it's a different airline isn't really an argument when they are more than comparable airlines.

And long as I'm below 96k that investment SOLELY for the 115k bonus does not make economical sense. Even if he doesn't have Infinia. He can still come out on top with the CX 5 miles credit. :)

Chalo I'm done done done with this.
The question was to opt for a card that gives 115k as joining bonus
Where in you are getting a card that costs 70,800 Rs in normal.
It's a lifestyle card that gives lifestyle benefits along with that it's giving you a business class flight ticket

I am not sure on what universe someone who is anyway interested in getting the card would not utilise this offer

And if you want to understand how to get better Redemption with those 115k on FFP or hotel loyalty , I would suggest you to join some discord channels or Twitter where people are discussing this day and night.

Your entire discussion is solely based around Infinia that's it , where in even to think of that option the OP first need to hold Infinia.
There is no point in discussing.

Your entire discussion is solely based around Infinia that's it , where in even to think of that option the OP first need to hold Infinia.
There is no point in discussing.
To quote myself again:

And long as I'm below 96k that investment SOLELY for the 115k bonus does not make economical sense. Even if he doesn't have Infinia. He can still come out on top with the CX 5k miles credit.

anirban.choudhury

TF Legend
TF Family
VIP Lounge
To quote myself again:

And long as I'm below 96k that investment SOLELY for the 115k bonus does not make economical sense. Even if he doesn't have Infinia. He can still come out on top with the CX 5k miles credit.
That is solely your opinion

For me getting a plat charge card with an extra investment of 15to 25k for a return flight business class ticket is a no brainer , If you are interested in getting the card.

Last edited:

chasni

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
I think both POV has their own merits but it solely depends on the individual. Some people may want best miles value by doing minimum investment while others just want to maximize miles value by making additional investment.

Personally, I would never pay extra money to get business class ticket given that I can't afford business class in real life. so, I prefer to get best miles value with minimal investment.

anirban.choudhury

TF Legend
TF Family
VIP Lounge
Nope. I understand you're very passionate about your Amex card as many Amex users are. But that's not my opinion. It's a mathematical fact. 95k is less than 96k.
Bhai how are you buying a 1.05 lakhs ticket at 95k cash ?
Can you please show that
And please don't give me your returns in terms of miles as there the maths would completely go wrong as in maths
1 miles is not equall to 1 INR

Bhai how are you buying a 1.05 lakhs ticket at 95k cash ?
Can you please show that
And please don't give me your returns in terms of miles as there the maths would completely go wrong as in maths
1 miles is not equall to 1 INR

It's good that you've decided not to move on from this. This flight on UK with a FULLY FLAT BED and what nots costs me 96k with inconvenience and other fees included. Plus I get 6k in UK miles. Which is pretty much a ₹1+/mile value when redeemed in domestic Y.

1697692538865.png

And 1 mile=1 INR is a baseline for any calculation. For J redemption you should aim for ₹1.5-2 / mile. For F you should look at ₹2.5-3 / mile at least.

anirban.choudhury

TF Legend
TF Family
VIP Lounge
It's good that you've decided not to move on from this. This flight on UK with a FULLY FLAT BED and what nots costs me 96k with inconvenience and other fees included. Plus I get 6k in UK miles. Which is pretty much a ₹1+/mile value when redeemed in domestic Y.

1697692538865.png

And 1 mile=1 INR is a baseline for any calculation. For J redemption you should aim for ₹1.5-2 / mile. For F you should look at ₹2.5-3 / mile at least.
And what will you do in Hong Kong for 20 days that to a non refundable flight ??

If I have to search like that I would search highest onward possible and highest return possible just to proof my point with additional all sorts of extra baggages just to show a screenshot that the same flight is costing 5 lakhs in Revenue against 96k of my redemption.

In your entire calculation you are just overlooking the fact that you are getting a plat charge card practically first year free I am not sure why you are looking at like you are buying 115k points at 70.8k which is terrible as you can easily get 115k mile in just about 30-40k only

Reactions: 787