• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Amazing Award Redemption

Stratosphere

TF Select
VIP Lounge
How are you getting to pay so less in taxes it asks me to pay 100 usd in taxes for Mumbai London routes with 30000 miles ?
It's crazy that you are even seeing Mumbai London availability. I tried and could not see anything on all the dates I checked. I don't know about the taxes though. Could be related to BOM, but I am not sure.

Stratosphere

TF Select
VIP Lounge
How do you guys search for seats in Turkish airline site.
I go to star alliance booking, and enter to & from, but it only allows us to see seats for the day entered.
Everytime I enter a random date, it comes as no seat available. Is there a way to see on which date the seat is available?
Pure luck. Have to check all dates 1 by 1 manually. That is what makes it so hard. And even then it could be a phantom space so don't be happy till you have the ticket in your hand

sxchzy

TF Legend
VIP Lounge
It's crazy that you are even seeing Mumbai London availability. I tried and could not see anything on all the dates I checked. I don't know about the taxes though. Could be related to BOM, but I am not sure.
i was looking for september flights as i needed it for those dates,
but i got a better deal with virgin atlantic

Maxwell

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
I recently had the opportunity to book my first reward flight through Turkish Airlines. It was an Air India business class flight from AMD (Ahmedabad) to YYZ (Toronto) with a layover in DEL (Delhi). The total cost of the redemption was 52,000 Turkish Miles & Smiles miles. Considering the value I received, it was a great deal, as I obtained approximately INR 6.75 per mile with this redemption.

While the overall cost of the reward flight was reasonable, I did have to pay around INR 2,500 for taxes. It's worth noting that finding saver award space on Turkish Airlines can be a bit challenging. However, once you manage to find availability, the rewards are highly satisfying.
Was this booking done on Turkish Airlines website or by any other means (like offline on call), Please let us know

akil_av17

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
Was this booking done on Turkish Airlines website or by any other means (like offline on call), Please let us know
So, first I searched for availability on United but could not find any. Then I checked Air Canada Aeroplan, but I couldn't find anything there either. After that, I moved on to Singapore Airlines (they show availability within a range of +/- 3 days) and saw availability for only one specific day. The requirement was around 60K miles (I don't remember exactly, but it was certainly more than what Turkish offered), so I switched to Turkish Airlines.

On Turkish Airlines, I found the same availability. Since I was booking it for my sibling, I created a sibling's account on Turkish Airlines. However, I couldn't transfer miles from my account to my sibling's account, so I called them. The first representative said I couldn't book for someone else using my miles. I ended the call and called again, and this time the representative said yes, they would be able to book it. But in the middle of the process, their servers went down, so they said they would call me back after an hour to continue the booking. However, they never called, so I called them again to make the booking. Several representatives either couldn't see the availability or declined my request to book for someone else. Finally, I got connected to one representative who seemed knowledgeable and was able to complete the entire booking in 5 minutes.

I also learned that we can book tickets first and then have 48 or 72 hours to pay with miles. So, after receiving a confirmation, we can certainly transfer miles.

Maxwell

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
So, first I searched for availability on United but could not find any. Then I checked Air Canada Aeroplan, but I couldn't find anything there either. After that, I moved on to Singapore Airlines (they show availability within a range of +/- 3 days) and saw availability for only one specific day. The requirement was around 60K miles (I don't remember exactly, but it was certainly more than what Turkish offered), so I switched to Turkish Airlines.

On Turkish Airlines, I found the same availability. Since I was booking it for my sibling, I created a sibling's account on Turkish Airlines. However, I couldn't transfer miles from my account to my sibling's account, so I called them. The first representative said I couldn't book for someone else using my miles. I ended the call and called again, and this time the representative said yes, they would be able to book it. But in the middle of the process, their servers went down, so they said they would call me back after an hour to continue the booking. However, they never called, so I called them again to make the booking. Several representatives either couldn't see the availability or declined my request to book for someone else. Finally, I got connected to one representative who seemed knowledgeable and was able to complete the entire booking in 5 minutes.

I also learned that we can book tickets first and then have 48 or 72 hours to pay with miles. So, after receiving a confirmation, we can certainly transfer miles.
Thank you the detailed update

moonsmart

TF Premier

The last line is so valuable.

shantmath

TF Neo
Booking for non-account holders and for awards that do not show up on the website is best done by emailing the booking office. They share a form and provide confirmation the same day. The only drawback is that the process takes 1-2 days, but I was able to successfully book non-stop return flights to Europe from Delhi for a friend who was travelling separately.

ak93

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Just made a fantastic award redemption for travel in July. Delhi to London in Business Class for 30000 points only. Got a Valuation of over Rs. 4 per edge point. Was'nt available online so I called the Turkish CC and then did the booking there. Took 20 minutes in total.
Did you book a single ticket or 2? I can find single ticket but i need to book 2! Is it possible to book 2 tickets by calling CC?

Did you book a single ticket or 2? I can find single ticket but i need to book 2! Is it possible to book 2 tickets by calling CC?
AIR INDIA only releases 1 bussiness and 2 economy ticket for partner awards.Stuck in the same boat as yours.Want to book 2 bussiness tickets but can't .

Harry1

TF Legend
VIP Lounge

Was this ur first booking on Turkish? As I heard that first booking is allowed only for urself.

Also, how much time it takes for magnus to turkish points transfer? As u mentioned that 48-72 hours is sufficient for initiating transfer after booking.

Last edited:

Harry1

TF Legend
VIP Lounge
Booking for non-account holders and for awards that do not show up on the website is best done by emailing the booking office. They share a form and provide confirmation the same day. The only drawback is that the process takes 1-2 days, but I was able to successfully book non-stop return flights to Europe from Delhi for a friend who was travelling separately.
Do they accept even first booking for different person?

Stratosphere

TF Select
VIP Lounge
Single ticket. I don't think there are more than 1J and 2Y tickets released for partners on any flight. And unlike some other airlines, AI does not release award space closer to departure. So if you see a ticket it might be available, but if you don't then it's pretty sure you won't see it in the future too