• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Action against Paytm payment bank - No customer onboarding, credit transaction

The Reserve Bank of India, in exercise of its powers under section 35A of the Banking Regulation Act, 1949, had directed Paytm Payments Bank Ltd (PPBL or the bank) to stop onboarding of new customers with immediate effect.

The Comprehensive System Audit report and subsequent compliance validation report of the external auditors revealed persistent non compliances and continued material supervisory concerns in the bank, warranting further supervisory action.

Accordingly, in exercise of its powers under section 35A of Banking Regulation Act, 1949 and all other powers enabling it in that behalf, the Reserve Bank of India, has today directed PPBL as below:

1. No further deposits or credit transactions or top ups shall be allowed in any customer accounts, prepaid instruments, wallets, FASTags, NCMC cards, etc. after February 29, 2024, other than any interest, cashbacks, or refunds which may be credited anytime.

2. Withdrawal or utilisation of balances by its customers from their accounts including savings bank accounts, current accounts, prepaid instruments, FASTags, National Common Mobility Cards, etc. are to be permitted without any restrictions, upto their available balance.

3. No other banking services, other than those referred in (ii) above, like fund transfers (irrespective of name and nature of services like AEPS, IMPS, etc.), BBPOU and UPI facility should be provided by the bank after February 29, 2024.

4. The Nodal Accounts of One97 Communications Ltd and Paytm Payments Services Ltd. are to be terminated at the earliest, in any case not later than February 29, 2024.

5. Settlement of all pipeline transactions and nodal accounts (in respect of all transactions initiated on or before February 29, 2024) shall be completed by March 15, 2024 and no further transactions shall be permitted thereafter.

This is huge, in other words, all banking services available on Paytm, such as bill payment, UPI, wallet, etc., will not be available after February 29, 2024. If you have Paytm FASTag balance, wallet balance, fuel wallet balance or Paytm Payment Bank balance, you can transfer or use them even after February 29, 2024, but fresh credit or wallet/FASTag recharge will not be permitted.
Paytm is in real trouble now. Let's see how Paytm responds to this problem and how they overcome it.
Update (1st Feb, 2024):

Paytm, in its mandatory disclosure under Regulation 30 of SEBI on February 1, 2024, mentioned that One 97 Communications Limited (OCL), a payment company working with various banks, including Paytm Payments Bank Limited (“PPBL”), will now exclusively collaborate with other banks. In the next phase of OCL’s journey, it aims to expand its payments and financial services business through partnerships with different banks.

The Paytm Payment Gateway business for online merchants will continue providing payment solutions to existing merchants. OCL’s offline merchant payment network offerings, such as Paytm QR, Paytm Soundbox, and Paytm Card Machine, will also continue as usual, allowing onboarding of new offline merchants.

Regarding the termination of the nodal account of OCL and Paytm Payments Services Limited (PPSL) by February 29, 2024, both entities will transition the nodal account to other banks during this period. OCL plans to establish partnerships with various other banks to offer diverse payment products to its customers.

OCL’s additional financial services, including loan distribution, insurance distribution, and equity broking, are not directly associated with Paytm Payments Bank Limited and are expected to remain unaffected by this direction.

It appears that Paytm will continue to offer UPI and bill payment services through collaborations with other banks. They already started selling fastag from HDFC Bank. Further developments are anticipated, and we await more clarity on the situation in the coming days.
Official document link (attached): https://www.bseindia.com/xml-data/corpfiling/AttachLive/02a4a3a1-8cc0-4cde-a35f-d4f70ca98377.pdf

Update (2nd Feb, 2024):
According to some media reports, this could mark the end of the giant. In an exclusive interview with CNBC-TV18, former Executive Director of RBI, Deepali Pant Joshi, shared her perspective on the matter, referring to it as a "disaster that had been in the making since October 2023." Joshi highlighted Paytm's nonchalant attitude towards the reasons behind the ₹5.39 crore fine imposed in October 2023.
For the full interview, you can visit: CNBCTV18 Interview

It appears that Paytm was too casual about its KYC norms. On Twitter, particularly among some fintech founders, there is support for Paytm, with claims that RBI is anti-fintech and unjustly treating Paytm. But the real picture is bit different.

GFV8saOWIAA5Iyp.jpeg

Attachments

• PR1774PPBLBEDADC47266E41F7A65307C63180E2B1.pdf
    264.9 KB · Views: 63
  • 02a4a3a1-8cc0-4cde-a35f-d4f70ca98377.pdf
    667.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

vega

TF Premier
PAYTM will be there for sure, but before we get to the stability there will be some turbulence ..
this is big big players game.. there will be massive dogfight that happens .. don't you worry..

Everything happens with some behind the scenes motives and all will be revealed soon.. Just like NDTV ...
unfortunately VSS will most likely be screwed up big time for his negligence in the name of expansion, all this screw up will be according to law only...
that is how these games are played ...
all this talks since Nov 2023 is just a garbage ..... They just let us know what they wanted to let know us.. don't believe anything and everything that is published in news papers ..
👍 Forced marriage is tumbling on the horizon.

devine_mortal

TF Premier
RBI doesn't take such harsh actions without a big cause. I was reading somewhere that there were 100s of accounts functioning with single PAN number. If that's true, that's a case of fraud and illegal money. I think this ban is just a starting.

cc_guy

TF Buzz
Not sure if there is already a thread against my query, but where should I open my bank account as PPB was my account for daily purposes and for creating and redeeming small FDs whenever needed.

maheshspanicker

TF Premier
Get kotak 811, indie or idfc future first in pvt banks
Sbi in psb

Any of them have a no penalty premature closure of FD option? I started an account with IDFC First, but they do have a preclosure penalty... Not the Future First account, but the 10000 MAB account provided as 0 MAB on offer.
I couldn't get the Indie account as the mobile number verification wasn't happening because of technical glitch with IndusInd and the customercare couldn't say anything beyond try after some time.

varun__goel_

TF Legend
Any of them have a no penalty premature closure of FD option? I started an account with IDFC First, but they do have a preclosure penalty... Not the Future First account, but the 10000 MAB account provided as 0 MAB on offer.
I couldn't get the Indie account as the mobile number verification wasn't happening because of technical glitch with IndusInd and the customercare couldn't say anything beyond try after some time.
Afaik, paytm was the only one that offered such facility. Every other bank will charge 1% of the interest as penalty.

If you are looking for high interest rate FDs, check AU SFB once.

Reaper

TF Select
For Kotak, if FD is booked for up to 180 days, there will be no penalty. This was told to me by the branch manager last year.
I am not sure if this rule has now changed.

Not sure if there is already a thread against my query, but where should I open my bank account as PPB was my account for daily purposes and for creating and redeeming small FDs whenever needed.
I was using PPB as my primary account for day to day transactions. Now switched to an AU Bank zero balance account. Coming to FDs I don't think any others will be as seamless as Paytm.

CosmicCat

TF Premier
Another point to add — Paytm Payment Gateway has a weird habit of replacing the merchant name with that of their own. Did a transaction of high value on Tata 1mg using my HDFC Tata Neu Infinity credit card last month. The merchant name being shown there was "Paytm" instead of "1mg" (or any other name containing the term "1mg").

And guess what? HDFC provided cashback at 1.5% rate for it instead of 5%. I have been under the impression that HDFC provides 5% cashback based on the Terminal IDs provided by the Tata Digital brands (BigBasket, 1mg, etc.), but it looks like it wasn't the case here.

Also, I often used to cancel transactions whenever I used to see the merchant name as "Paytm" instead of the actual merchant name in the OTP authentication page.

Hope this RBI ban mocks some sense into them.
Yet another experience to be added here:
Today, I tried to recharge my JioFiber account in the MyJio app and chose to pay with the BHIM app. I tried to pay with HDFC and ICICI RuPay CC UPI multiple times, but each time it failed with the error "Transaction not permitted to UPI ID by the PSP," which essentially implies RuPay CC UPI isn't allowed.

And guess who's the PSP here? Paytm Payments Bank!

It's weird how they allow credit card payment option, but not CC UPI.
1000040184.jpg
1000040186.jpg

Paytm pe bahut gussa aata hai sahi bataun toh.

financewizard

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Link: https://www.rbi.org.in/Scripts/BS_PressReleaseDisplay.aspx?prid=57224
In Press Release dated March 11, 2022, the Reserve Bank of India, in exercise of its powers under section 35A of the Banking Regulation Act, 1949, had directed Paytm Payments Bank Ltd (PPBL or the bank) to stop onboarding of new customers with immediate effect.

2. The Comprehensive System Audit report and subsequent compliance validation report of the external auditors revealed persistent non-compliances and continued material supervisory concerns in the bank, warranting further supervisory action.

3. Accordingly, in exercise of its powers under section 35A of Banking Regulation Act, 1949 and all other powers enabling it in that behalf, the Reserve Bank of India, has today directed PPBL as below:

1. No further deposits or credit transactions or top ups shall be allowed in any customer accounts, prepaid instruments, wallets, FASTags, NCMC cards, etc. after February 29, 2024, other than any interest, cashbacks, or refunds which may be credited anytime.
  2. Withdrawal or utilisation of balances by its customers from their accounts including savings bank accounts, current accounts, prepaid instruments, FASTags, National Common Mobility Cards, etc. are to be permitted without any restrictions, upto their available balance.
  3. No other banking services, other than those referred in (ii) above, like fund transfers (irrespective of name and nature of services like AEPS, IMPS, etc.), BBPOU and UPI facility should be provided by the bank after February 29, 2024.
  4. The Nodal Accounts of One97 Communications Ltd and Paytm Payments Services Ltd. are to be terminated at the earliest, in any case not later than February 29, 2024.
  5. Settlement of all pipeline transactions and nodal accounts (in respect of all transactions initiated on or before February 29, 2024) shall be completed by March 15, 2024 and no further transactions shall be permitted thereafter.
@TechnoFino Can you please put a post on how to transfer MFs, Stocks & paytm egold to other brokers.

vine

TF Premier
What all should we do before uninstalling Paytm app?

As of now , I have:
Disabled UPI Lite,
Made paytm wallet as zero,
Unlinked credit cards
Unlinked third party apps, like Uber, Ola, etc.

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
What all should we do before uninstalling Paytm app?

As of now , I have:
Disabled UPI Lite,
Made paytm wallet as zero,
Unlinked credit cards
Unlinked third party apps, like Uber, Ola, etc.
Is there any particular reason you want to uninstall now?
Uninstall doesn’t impact anything you got in the Paytm account

vine

TF Premier
Is there any particular reason you want to uninstall now?
Uninstall doesn’t impact anything you got in the Paytm account
I meant , am closing all relations with Paytm.
(Have heard a lot of irregularities with Paytm since past few years. Also a reason not to buy Paytm stocks. Probably best to stay away from the app itself).
Am using phonepe, Gpay, mobikwik. No need to hold another one.
So, now, am closing all services with Paytm , before uninstalling the app.

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
(Have heard a lot of irregularities with Paytm since past few years. Also a reason not to buy Paytm stocks. Probably best to stay away from the app itself).
Okay, understood.. uninstall the app won’t erase any account relationship.
Advise you to keep the app for sometime and make sure go to every section of it and make sure you unlinked everything.. we don’t know what services you have used.
By keeping the app won’t harm you is what I mean to say here..

Last edited:

deep@vie

TF Legend
Kuchh to ijjat do yar fintech poster boy ko

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Some tips:

Go and visit this section and go to every option under this , deactivate/ delete everything that is relevant…

Just don’t delete your Paytm account yet because if something is left unlinking then you can’t do that later.
1707401277785.png

Last edited: