• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Action against Paytm payment bank - No customer onboarding, credit transaction

The Reserve Bank of India, in exercise of its powers under section 35A of the Banking Regulation Act, 1949, had directed Paytm Payments Bank Ltd (PPBL or the bank) to stop onboarding of new customers with immediate effect.

The Comprehensive System Audit report and subsequent compliance validation report of the external auditors revealed persistent non compliances and continued material supervisory concerns in the bank, warranting further supervisory action.

Accordingly, in exercise of its powers under section 35A of Banking Regulation Act, 1949 and all other powers enabling it in that behalf, the Reserve Bank of India, has today directed PPBL as below:

1. No further deposits or credit transactions or top ups shall be allowed in any customer accounts, prepaid instruments, wallets, FASTags, NCMC cards, etc. after February 29, 2024, other than any interest, cashbacks, or refunds which may be credited anytime.

2. Withdrawal or utilisation of balances by its customers from their accounts including savings bank accounts, current accounts, prepaid instruments, FASTags, National Common Mobility Cards, etc. are to be permitted without any restrictions, upto their available balance.

3. No other banking services, other than those referred in (ii) above, like fund transfers (irrespective of name and nature of services like AEPS, IMPS, etc.), BBPOU and UPI facility should be provided by the bank after February 29, 2024.

4. The Nodal Accounts of One97 Communications Ltd and Paytm Payments Services Ltd. are to be terminated at the earliest, in any case not later than February 29, 2024.

5. Settlement of all pipeline transactions and nodal accounts (in respect of all transactions initiated on or before February 29, 2024) shall be completed by March 15, 2024 and no further transactions shall be permitted thereafter.

This is huge, in other words, all banking services available on Paytm, such as bill payment, UPI, wallet, etc., will not be available after February 29, 2024. If you have Paytm FASTag balance, wallet balance, fuel wallet balance or Paytm Payment Bank balance, you can transfer or use them even after February 29, 2024, but fresh credit or wallet/FASTag recharge will not be permitted.
Paytm is in real trouble now. Let's see how Paytm responds to this problem and how they overcome it.
Update (1st Feb, 2024):

Paytm, in its mandatory disclosure under Regulation 30 of SEBI on February 1, 2024, mentioned that One 97 Communications Limited (OCL), a payment company working with various banks, including Paytm Payments Bank Limited (“PPBL”), will now exclusively collaborate with other banks. In the next phase of OCL’s journey, it aims to expand its payments and financial services business through partnerships with different banks.

The Paytm Payment Gateway business for online merchants will continue providing payment solutions to existing merchants. OCL’s offline merchant payment network offerings, such as Paytm QR, Paytm Soundbox, and Paytm Card Machine, will also continue as usual, allowing onboarding of new offline merchants.

Regarding the termination of the nodal account of OCL and Paytm Payments Services Limited (PPSL) by February 29, 2024, both entities will transition the nodal account to other banks during this period. OCL plans to establish partnerships with various other banks to offer diverse payment products to its customers.

OCL’s additional financial services, including loan distribution, insurance distribution, and equity broking, are not directly associated with Paytm Payments Bank Limited and are expected to remain unaffected by this direction.

It appears that Paytm will continue to offer UPI and bill payment services through collaborations with other banks. They already started selling fastag from HDFC Bank. Further developments are anticipated, and we await more clarity on the situation in the coming days.
Official document link (attached): https://www.bseindia.com/xml-data/corpfiling/AttachLive/02a4a3a1-8cc0-4cde-a35f-d4f70ca98377.pdf

Update (2nd Feb, 2024):
According to some media reports, this could mark the end of the giant. In an exclusive interview with CNBC-TV18, former Executive Director of RBI, Deepali Pant Joshi, shared her perspective on the matter, referring to it as a "disaster that had been in the making since October 2023." Joshi highlighted Paytm's nonchalant attitude towards the reasons behind the ₹5.39 crore fine imposed in October 2023.
For the full interview, you can visit: CNBCTV18 Interview

It appears that Paytm was too casual about its KYC norms. On Twitter, particularly among some fintech founders, there is support for Paytm, with claims that RBI is anti-fintech and unjustly treating Paytm. But the real picture is bit different.

GFV8saOWIAA5Iyp.jpeg

Attachments

• PR1774PPBLBEDADC47266E41F7A65307C63180E2B1.pdf
    264.9 KB · Views: 63
  • 02a4a3a1-8cc0-4cde-a35f-d4f70ca98377.pdf
    667.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Iam₹K$

TF Premier
Guys, I was trying to close my paytm fasttag, but there doesnt seem to be an option now to do it in the app. Also when trying to connect to CC, they are just using bots and redirecting my query to main page. Does anyone know if paytm cc has a number to call?
The option to close was never here as long as I remember
To close fastag , go to help section and have a chat with the bot...
Select queries regarding fastag and voila your wish will be granted 🥳

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240216-171653.png
    Screenshot_20240216-171653.png
    52.2 KB · Views: 14

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
The option to close was never here as long as I remember
To close fastag , go to help section and have a chat with the bot...
Select queries regarding fastag and voila your wish will be granted 🥳
Wow, Paytm is so sophisticated …
Probably RBI had also logged into the App and talked to the BOT and selected “Close Paytm Payments Bank Limited “ ….
VOILA !!!!
Share price gone down from ₹ 2,100 to ₹310 in two years …
this is what happens when there is
No human to talk to … ;) whether it is to RBI or Customer !!!!

Last edited:

VISHESH_BANSAL

TF Pioneer
Yes they have given relaxation
And if I am not wrong everything is gonna be right at end
They (Rbi)are just trying to prove that they are superior no matter how big is the company is
And rules can be implemented in a more stricter way
Paytm started Re-KYC Procedure for offline Merchants .

It is going to be a Time Consuming Exercise.

Extension toh milni hi thhi😂

Nhi toh 29th ke baad Offline QR code kaam nhi karte aur Paytm ne jo openly bola,
"Keep Working Beyond 29th" woh jhooth sabit hota"😂

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Paytm will work as usual.. this is my view... but Margins will decrease for Paytm.. they have to change their business model...
Nothing happens to Paytm.. It will continue to work, may be some hiccups / hurdles for the next 2 to 3 months.
RBI will extend the deadline in the last few days / on the last day.. depending upon how they want to tackle this situation...
This gives a clear warning to anyone who wants to take RBI compliance lightly in the future.. This is to show how RBI can be ruthless in implemention of the rules no matter how big the organisation is.. Now in future everyone will come in line with RBI's orders...

Picture will be very clear after RBI releases FAQ this week.. I am not at all worrrying..
Paytm will work after Feb 29 but offers wont be much attractive as the margins will come under pressure at least for the next one year or until they figure out their new business model...

Note: All the above are my personal views.. Once RBI FAQs are released , there will be more clarity and I will express my revised views then..

Faq are published by many news websites
It is extended to March 15.

Here you go to faqs.
So my predictions on Monday coming true …
Check my post above …

Post in thread 'Action against Paytm payment bank - No customer onboarding, credit or debit transaction'
https://www.technofino.in/community...credit-or-debit-transaction.22506/post-525360

Last edited:

deep@vie

TF Legend
Paytm started Re-KYC Procedure for offline Merchants .

It is going to be a Time Consuming Exercise.

Extension toh milni hi thhi😂

Nhi toh 29th ke baad Offline QR code kaam nhi karte aur Paytm ne jo openly bola,
"Keep Working Beyond 29th" woh jhooth sabit hota"😂
After all, he's PM's blue eyed boy & poster boy of fintech in India.
This would have somehow affected indian fintechs in the world. So,it seems a calculated move. Keeping dignity intact for RBI as well.

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
So, they had released faq afte hours of the market..
Someone knows just before the close, hence upper circuit was hit today in the last couple of hours..
From here on another few upper circuits.. I believe

1708090918558.png

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
@TechnoFino ,
Would you like to change the thread title to remove “no debit transactions “ from the title ??

There were never debit transactions freeze in place …to start with …

1708091093863.png