• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

You cannot afford premium credit cards and you know it! 👎💳🔥

1RC

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I know this article may hit someone negatively, but this is to those who earn less than a 1 Lac (net) a month.

If you have not read my previous article on - Advice to young working professionals who are starting their credit journey. (Advice no one asked for; CIBIL 802)
- Go and check it out. If you are new to the credit game.

Now on with this article. Note: I am no writer, and this could be a poorly written article.

Why am I discouraging any prospective premium credit card seeker, whose monthly net income is less than 1Lac, from applying for such premium cards? Simple answer: Because you cannot afford such cards.

Over the weekend, I came across multiple articles on this forum, wherein OPs are asking how they can get premium cards (such as Amex Plat, HDFC Infinia/DCB, Axis Magnus/Reserve) while their monthly income does not support the lifestyle needed to reap the benefits of such premium cards (that usually come with higher-than-average annual membership fees).

I don’t want to sugar coat harsh realities of life. Your hard-earned money is to maximize your wealth and not to waste it for illogical reasons. I know this is such a materialistic thing to say but so is expensing using credit on things you may not even need. We all have been taught about the difference between needs and wants early in our teenage years but somehow, we forget such lessons in our adulthood.

As rational people, we have one simple job – maximize our wealth. India’s stupid high double taxation is another story for another article.

Now coming to the numbers:

If you are making less than INR 1L a month, then you should not be wasting your efforts on getting premium-tier cards because your monthly expense may not support you to reach the reward points needed to satisfactorily reap the benefits of premium cards – yeah except for airport lounges – which are also available on almost all mid-tier cards.

Time gone will never comeback. A rupee spent will never come back. So, respect your time and money well. Don’t spend if you don’t need to just for the sake of reward points.

For ease of calculation let’s say you make 1L a month. Following is how I think you should manage your expenses:

Monthly Allocation
Range %
Investment Target
35.0%​
40.0%​
Expected Expenses
30.0%​
35.0%​
Misc. Expense
15.0%​
20.0%​
Liquid Savings - Rainy Day Fund
20.0%​
5.0%​
Total Income
100.0%​
100.0%​

With an expected monthly expense fund of 30-35% = INR 30k-35k. How many of your expected expenses do you think you’ll be able to make using your credit card? Think wisely if you can even achieve certain milestones?

You should not fall into unnecessary spending loop. Read this article - Psychology of Credit Card Spending: Understanding Overspending and Strategies to Stop It

I am going to keep this article open-ended and let members of this community comment and share their thoughts on what they think the right type of credit card should be for someone with maximum monthly expense of 30k-35k. Maybe stick to a good mid-tier card?

1RC

I know this article may hit someone negatively, but this is to those who earn less than a 1 Lac (net) a month.

If you have not read my previous article on - Advice to young working professionals who are starting their credit journey. (Advice no one asked for; CIBIL 802)

Now on with this article. Note: I am no writer, and this could be a poorly written article.

Why am I discouraging any prospective premium credit card seeker, whose monthly net income is less than 1Lac, from applying for such premium cards? Simple answer: Because you cannot afford such cards.

Over the weekend, I came across multiple articles on this forum, wherein OPs are asking how they can get premium cards (such as Amex Plat, HDFC Infinia/DCB, Axis Magnus/Reserve) while their monthly income does not support the lifestyle needed to reap the benefits of such premium cards (that usually come with higher-than-average annual membership fees).

I don’t want to sugar coat harsh realities of life. Your hard-earned money is to maximize your wealth and not to waste it for illogical reasons. I know this is such a materialistic thing to say but so is expensing using credit on things you may not even need. We all have been taught about the difference between needs and wants early in our teenage years but somehow, we forget such lessons in our adulthood.

As rational people, we have one simple job – maximize our wealth. India’s stupid high double taxation is another story for another article.

If you are making less than INR 1L a month, then you should not be wasting your efforts on getting premium-tier cards because your monthly expense may not support you to reach the reward points needed to satisfactorily reap the benefits of premium cards – yeah except for airport lounges – which are also available on almost all mid-tier cards.

Time gone will never comeback. A rupee spent will never come back. So, respect your time and money well. Don’t spend if you don’t need to just for the sake of reward points.

For ease of calculation let’s say you make 1L a month. Following is how I think you should manage your expenses:

Monthly Allocation
Range %
Investment Target
35.0%​
40.0%​
Expected Expenses
30.0%​
35.0%​
Misc. Expense
15.0%​
20.0%​
20.0%​
5.0%​
Total Income
100.0%​
100.0%​

With an expected monthly expense fund of 30-35% = INR 30k-35k. How many of your expected expenses do you think you’ll be able to make using your credit card? Think wisely if you can even achieve certain milestones?

You should not fall into unnecessary spending loop. Read this article - Psychology of Credit Card Spending: Understanding Overspending and Strategies to Stop It

I am going to keep this article open-ended and let members of this community comment and share their thoughts on what they think the right type of credit card should be for someone with maximum monthly expense of 30k-35k. Maybe stick to a good mid-tier card?

1RC
If One can get premium cards as LTF eg. Infinia/DCB, ICICI Emarald Supphire etc. Then Whats The Issue?

sxchzy

TF Pioneer
VIP Lounge

Monthly Allocation
Range %
Investment Target
35.0%​
40.0%​
Expected Expenses
30.0%​
35.0%​
Misc. Expense
15.0%​
20.0%​
20.0%​
5.0%​
Total Income
100.0%​
100.0%​

1RC
Well written and very well articulated.
The problem is with the mindset.
Once we see such exciting offers/rewards we want those cards.
Now getting those cards FYF or LTF makes sense because you have nothing to lose but the bank is targeting these customers only who are a cash cow for them who do not have a high ITR and high spends which won't make them eligible for FYF or LTF making them buy super premium.cards and not being able to maximize their rewards out of it

NikhilTravelLover

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
@1RC , you have put your thoughts very well.

I belive the same. One should not over spend. If you can afford, then only one should go after premium credit cards.

I roughly remember(correct me if am wrong), our very own @RewardsAlert , @Subhankar has said that why they are not in favour for Axis Reserve card. I belive they can easily afford that card, but still they advised not to go for it.

@1RC , Thanks for sharing a valuable thoughts.

V360

TF Ace
TF Family
VIP Lounge

I belive the same. One should not over spend. If you can afford, then only one should go after premium credit cards.

I roughly remember(correct me if am wrong), our very own @RewardsAlert , @Subhankar has said that why they are not in favour for Axis Reserve card. I belive they can easily afford that card, but still they advised not to go for it.

Yes - it is an amazing article and an eye opener for lot of people who wants to spend more than their income to get a Super Premium Credit Card.

Expectation vs Reality is always different and people should realize it through this article.

@1RC - Kudos to you for putting such a strong thought in this forum :)

sxchzy

TF Pioneer
VIP Lounge
If One can get premium cards as LTF eg. Infinia/DCB, ICICI Emarald Supphire etc. Then Whats The Issue?
not an issue for LTF cards.
For fyf cards it is still an issue if the customer doesnt cancel it due to the benefits he is receiving and the bank doesnt waive off the fees.
also until now buying super premium cards annd using that to buy tata cliq viuchers then buying gold and selling that gold made sense and would work if it hadnt been patched.
Now on a 30k in hand for spends which super premium credit card can you reap the most benefit out of?

suhasa010

TF Premier
Eye opening thread indeed!

People who go for Magnus (or any other highly rewarding premium card) to purely rotate money, are going to realise what you said at some point.

Your credit card portfolio should be formed around your spends. Not the other way around.

Personal example:
I opted for SC Smart since it was said to be a stepping stone to SC Ultimate which carries an annual fee of 5k and gives 3.33% reward rate. But after couple of months of using SC Smart i feel it's enough for my current expenditure and doesn't make sense to go for an upgrade (even though my limit doesn't support it) in the future and spend 5k+GST annually. Moreover after the recent devaluation my most spent categories on SC Smart will also fetch 2% on Ultimate. So why bother.

Walter White

TF Legend
VIP Lounge

Monthly Allocation
Range %
Investment Target
35.0%​
40.0%​
Expected Expenses
30.0%​
35.0%​
Misc. Expense
15.0%​
20.0%​
20.0%​
5.0%​
Total Income
100.0%​
100.0%​

1RC
Well written. The lure of cashbacks and reward points is understandable but people need to go for a complete due diligence before choosing the cards.

People need to realise that just because the card has those features doesn't mean that these all features will be compatible for everyone. The time spent to get returns on CC outweighs the time one needs to spend on investing in conventional investment instruments such as MFs or stocks which also temd to offer better returns when done wisely.

By this I am not discouraging anyone to stay away from CC rewards game. Just a caution to your time and money wisely.

Can relate this to myself after I had a FOMO on cards such as Magnus, DCB and Amex Plat Charge. Despite fulfilling the eligibility criteria of almost every super premium card, resisting from applying it can be difficult with time. But, at the end I found cards that work out for me really well even though most of them are mid-level cards and have no regrets over missing out on some high end super premium cards

Last edited:

1RC

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Again banks ONLY give these card life-time free to people who can actually afford the lifestyle expense. Please understand the devil is in the detail. They know that by giving this card as LTF, they know you'll spend enough for them to re-coop the expense.

1RC

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Eye opening thread indeed!

People who go for Magnus (or any other highly rewarding premium card) to purely rotate money, are going to realise what you said at some point.

Your credit card portfolio should be formed around your spends. Not the other way around.

Personal example:
I opted for SC Smart since it was said to be a stepping stone to SC Ultimate which carries an annual fee of 5k and gives 3.33% reward rate. But after couple of months of using SC Smart i feel it's enough for my current expenditure and doesn't make sense to go for an upgrade (even though my limit doesn't support it) in the future and spend 5k+GST annually. Moreover after the recent devaluation my most spent categories on SC Smart will also fetch 2% on Ultimate. So why bother.
I agree with you. Everyone needs to understand that Axis Mangnus may give us 10K matched Tatacliq vouchers or Yatra tickets but one has to understand that you have to BUY something to use these Vouchers. Now you may not need anything right now from TataCliq but since you have this 10k voucher, you are tempted to use them and buy something that you may not need.

Glad that you liked the article.

1RC

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Yes - it is an amazing article and an eye opener for lot of people who wants to spend more than their income to get a Super Premium Credit Card.

Expectation vs Reality is always different and people should realize it through this article.

@1RC - Kudos to you for putting such a strong thought in this forum :)
Glad you liked the article.

1RC

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Well written. The lure of cashbacks and reward points is understandable but people need to go for a complete due diligence before choosing the cards.

People need to realise that just because the card has those features doesn't mean that these all features will be compatible to anyone. The time spent to get returns on CC outweighs the time one needs to spend on investing in conventional investmebt instruments such as MFs or stocks which also temd to offer better returns when done wisely.

By this I am not discouraging anyone to stay away from CC rewards game. Just a caution to your time and money wisely.

Can relate this to myself after I had a FOMO on cards such as Magnus, DCB and Amex Plat Charge. Despite fulfilling the eligibility criteria of almost every super premium card, resisting from applying it can be difficult with time. But, at the end I found cards that work out for me really well even though most of them are mid-level cards and have no regrets over missing out on some high end super premium cards
Absolutely great thing you wrote here. Even selecting credit cards needs to be personalized. See if the card actually suits your personal needs and not go by what everyone is saying about the card. Good point. I will add an update to the article.

Subhankar

TF Ace
TF Family
Chief Mod

Axis Reserve is not for all, that I mentioned. Reserve is a lucrative card at certain spending criteria and at certain categories. I took Magnus after I used Reserve for almost a year, just because Magnus didn't make sense even with the 25k worth of edge rewards for monthly spends. As in certain areas, my spending went a bit higher, and Magnus started making sense as I'm now able to hit the 1L milestone every month.

To utilize Reserve at its best, I believe, a lot of international transactions are required to maximize the benefit. No other card except Axis One is having base 6% return and that sweet return multiplies in GiftEdge. I don't spend with Magnus on GiftEdge at all.

Our human nature is to chase for the ultimate and these rewards are lucrative with no doubt. The number of vacations I can take with rewards, I'd have taken only 1/3rd of it, if it was with cash.

But these things shouldn't come at the cost of peace of mind or money. Having a fancy vacation is cool, but losing peace of mind isn't. The best card isn't necessarily to be the best utilised card for each and every individual

R!ppEr

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Axis Reserve is not for all, that I mentioned. Reserve is a lucrative card at certain spending criteria and at certain categories. I took Magnus after I used Reserve for almost a year, just because Magnus didn't make sense even with the 25k worth of edge rewards for monthly spends. As in certain areas, my spending went a bit higher, and Magnus started making sense as I'm now able to hit the 1L milestone every month.

To utilize Reserve at its best, I believe, a lot of international transactions are required to maximize the benefit. No other card except Axis One is having base 6% return and that sweet return multiplies in GiftEdge. I don't spend with Magnus on GiftEdge at all.

Our human nature is to chase for the ultimate and these rewards are lucrative with no doubt. The number of vacations I can take with rewards, I'd have taken only 1/3rd of it, if it was with cash.

But these things shouldn't come at the cost of peace of mind or money. Having a fancy vacation is cool, but losing peace of mind isn't. The best card isn't necessarily to be the best utilised card for each and every individual
that last sentence!!

starstruck

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Okay let me be the devils advocate and argue against this.

Out of the all the cards you mentioned in your list, I dont agree with your reasoning for HDFC Infinia and Axis Magnus for the simple reason that they give back majority of the amount paid for fees as vouchers or points to spend. They are very versatile cards and not co-branded to any brand. One only has to recover GST if they want to be in profit.

But I would say why even think about returns only. Are you saying that people are not allowed to spend 20k plus GST for aspirational things in their life in a year? People are allowed to spend some amount of their discretionary spend on whatever they want. The mentality of saving a huge amount of money for a retirement gets people nowhere but unfulfilled dreams which cannot be completed when they become too old for it.

Lets even think from the perspective of returns. The reward multipliers offered by these 2 cards are sufficient that one can recover fees and GST for normal spends like food, clothes, insurances, online shopping, NPS investment etc.

Even if credit cards are a trap, the fact is we are enjoying these returns from these cards as some sucker is getting screwed by the bank. The only hard rule to follow is to never spend more than what people earn in a month to avoid such a fate. Its about being logical enough to use credit cards to our advantage and not our detriment.

sv004

TF Premier
Very true i also was in hunt of superpremium card. Was very close to apply for magnus but in end decided not to. Since using cashback cards i have realised that they are best for general use. The amount of money i receive as cb is not even possible with super premium cards even if given for free. Thats why millennia and axis airtel have become my fav cards. Superpremium cards are known for only their lounge access. But in general who uses lounges that often. For us one can get au lit ltf card and buy lounge access for 200rs per visit and it also covers all the airports. Superpremium cards are just trick to make us spend more for their useless targets. Cashback cards are the best

sxchzy

TF Pioneer
VIP Lounge
There is a reason why it is called a super premium card.The reason being it gives maximum benefits to people earning 3-5L per month and more.
As much as I agree with you about living in the moment if you have a family and other financial responsibilities then saving 30k won't suffice.
Okay let me be the devils advocate and argue against this.

Out of the all the cards you mentioned in your list, I dont agree with your reasoning for HDFC Infinia and Axis Magnus for the simple reason that they give back majority of the amount paid for fees as vouchers or points to spend. They are very versatile cards and not co-branded to any brand. One only has to recover GST if they want to be in profit.

But I would say why even think about returns only. Are you saying that people are not allowed to spend 20k plus GST for aspirational things in their life in a year? People are allowed to spend some amount of their discretionary spend on whatever they want. The mentality of saving a huge amount of money for a retirement gets people nowhere but unfulfilled dreams which cannot be completed when they become too old for it.

Lets even think from the perspective of returns. The reward multipliers offered by these 2 cards are sufficient that one can recover fees and GST for normal spends like food, clothes, insurances, online shopping, NPS investment etc.

Even if credit cards are a trap, the fact is we are enjoying these returns from these cards as some sucker is getting screwed by the bank. The only hard rule to follow is to never spend more than what people earn in a month to avoid such a fate. Its about being logical enough to use credit cards to our advantage and not our detriment.

krishc

TF Ace

Monthly Allocation
Range %
Investment Target
35.0%​
40.0%​
Expected Expenses
30.0%​
35.0%​
Misc. Expense
15.0%​
20.0%​
20.0%​
5.0%​
Total Income
100.0%​
100.0%​

1RC
absolutely well said
I don't even think of these super-premium cards because I don't live the lifestyle needed to justify those high annual fees or get the annual fee waiver